• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Needs More Desu

Suiseiseki

I can't feel the back of my eyes
Its something I say alot, and is directly related to my avatar and username- and for good reason.
The word desu, is something japanese-I donno what it means, but it comes from an anime called Rozen Maiden, where one of the characters (Suiseiseki) says desu, literally after everything she says
in total, it goes over 9000 (actually 500) times...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkVYHUMCCwc
620967-suiseiseki_image_large.png

the anime itself is probably the most interesting I've ever seen
to put it bluntly cross Highlander, Pinocchio, Alice in Wonderland, Dragonball Z, and a very aspie like male lead-and you got Rozen Maiden...
battle royale-with dolls

I don't really understand anime. I don't mean to be offensive or anything but... whats so great? Why shouldn't I just watch normal TV etc? :p

google define:
Definitions of desu on the Web:

* A short Japanese word that links a noun and verb, literally translated as "it is." Image boards have taken this as a meme, often repeating "desu desu desu," for various reasons, including to tease the newbies or stubbornly persist in an argument.

Yahoo answers:
Best Answer - Chosen by Voters
It is Japanese. This expression is used quite often in conversation, though it might be difficult to use correctly for beginners. It has an explanatory or confirmatory function. The difference between "~masu" (a normal ending of the verb) and "~n desu" is very subtle, therefore it is very hard to translate the nuance. It can be translated as "It is the case that ~" or "It is for the reason that ~". However there is no English equivalent.
Source(s):
http://japanese.about.com/blqow24.htm

This might tie in nicely for the character I would assume:

Best Answer - Chosen by Asker
"Desu" roughly translates out to "to be". It is also used where you would use "is", "am" ,etc.

ie. Watashi wa ~ desu. = I am ~.
Kore wa pen desu = This is a pen.

Hana wa chiisai desu = The flower is small.
Tamago wa chiisai desu = The egg is small.

Japanese has a polite way of speaking (for superiors, people to whom you wish to show respect) and an informal way of speaking (for colleagues and those below you - in experience, work, etc). "Desu" is the formal version of "da".

Formal: Hana wa chiisai desu.
Informal: Hana wa chiisai da.
Source(s):
Many years of Japanese study.

google define:
Definitions of desu on the Web:

* A short Japanese word that links a noun and verb, literally translated as "it is." Image boards have taken this as a meme, often repeating "desu desu desu," for various reasons, including to tease the newbies or stubbornly persist in an argument.

Yahoo answers:
Best Answer - Chosen by Voters
It is Japanese. This expression is used quite often in conversation, though it might be difficult to use correctly for beginners. It has an explanatory or confirmatory function. The difference between "~masu" (a normal ending of the verb) and "~n desu" is very subtle, therefore it is very hard to translate the nuance. It can be translated as "It is the case that ~" or "It is for the reason that ~". However there is no English equivalent.
Source(s):
http://japanese.about.com/blqow24.htm

This might tie in nicely for the character I would assume:

Best Answer - Chosen by Asker
"Desu" roughly translates out to "to be". It is also used where you would use "is", "am" ,etc.

ie. Watashi wa ~ desu. = I am ~.
Kore wa pen desu = This is a pen.

Hana wa chiisai desu = The flower is small.
Tamago wa chiisai desu = The egg is small.

Japanese has a polite way of speaking (for superiors, people to whom you wish to show respect) and an informal way of speaking (for colleagues and those below you - in experience, work, etc). "Desu" is the formal version of "da".

Formal: Hana wa chiisai desu.
Informal: Hana wa chiisai da.
Source(s):
Many years of Japanese study.

YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

btw in real shows, you can't have living dolls that fly around and shoot flower pedals and crystals
anime-being animated, is open to more...strangeness
that real tv just can't/won't do
and the cost to make it is so much less

Anime in English usually refers to a style of animation originating in Japan,[1] heavily influenced by the manga (Japanese comics) style and typically featuring characters with large eyes, big hair and elongated limbs, exaggerated facial expressions, brush-stroked outlines, limited motion and other distinctive features. The term may also be used[by whom?] for other animation connected to Japan or to anime proper, irrespective of style. The word comes from Japanese アニメ anime, meaning "animation" in general, and is typically pronounced Anime-en-US-pronunciation.ogg /ˈænəˌmeɪ/ (help·info) or /ˈænəˌmə/ in English.

While the earliest known Japanese animation dates from 1917,[2] and many original Japanese cartoons were produced in the ensuing decades, the characteristic anime style developed in the 1960s - notably with the work of Osamu Tezuka - and became known outside Japan in the 1980s.

Anime, like manga, has a large audience in Japan and high recognition throughout the world.[citation needed] Distributors can release anime via television broadcasts, directly to video, or theatrically, as well as online.

Both hand-drawn and computer-animated anime exist. It is used in television series, films, video, video games, commercials, and internet-based releases, and represents most, if not all, genres of fiction. Anime gained early[when?] popularity in East and Southeast Asia and has garnered more-recent popularity in the Western World.[citation needed]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anime

Mua-ha-ha-ha-ha

New Threads

Top Bottom