• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Need Help Prepping For D&D

DragonKid♾

So, I DM for a small group of other kids from my school. My next session is in a week. I like the job and I don’t want to give it up, and we’re far enough that I don’t think I can. The problem is I am a horrible planner. I start reading one of my guidebooks, and then I just drift away into it and start reading it for fun. When I actually try to get some planning done, I feel like I have to plan for every possible possibility I can think of, and then I just get overwhelmed and quit planning. My sessions are 99.9% improv, which I guess I don’t mind doing and my players are used to it. But I feel like my inability to plan will come back and bite me in the butt at some point. I asked the teacher who runs the D&D club for some tips, but they weren’t very helpful. I feel like I need to ask other autistics. So, anyone here who had similar problems? How did you fix it?

Been a DM once and that was enough for me. I planned a lot out, also made maps and other physical items to have something visual to guide Players. Most players will go against what has been planned — you just have to go with that But always have an outline of where you want to go with your sessions. If necessary, have a timer if it goes to off what you’ve planned. Mine was in a murder house with spirits being resurrected— we never did get to finish it because of people going off the storyline to do their own thing and the group no longer plays. Don’t forget its for fun — you’re not playing like Critical Role.

But always have an outline of where you want to go with your sessions.
How did you make these outlines? I have an idea in my head, but I have trouble getting it into my notebook. What needs to be in an outline? Sorry if I’m asking a lot of questions, I’ve just never DMed before. Thank you for your reply.

How did you make these outlines? I have an idea in my head, but I have trouble getting it into my notebook. What needs to be in an outline? Sorry if I’m asking a lot of questions, I’ve just never DMed before. Thank you for your reply.
Bullet points in a notebook. The introduction, bodies, and conclusion. Never reached more than just passed the introduction but I’d have something like:

- Meet in the tavern : introductions. Give quest NP1
-Go to magic shop: meet NPC 2
-Go to house — discover something not right — meet NPCs
-murders
-conclusion: end of arc

I never prepared quotations or anything like that.

If you prefer improv - why not continue to do so, but makes notes of important changes and such like as you DM in the game. That way you don't run the risk of mistakes or forgetting things that are happening.

Ed

Also, for scene changes you could also play some music that you have selected for the atmosphere of that moment.

And like @Raggamuffin said, write notes down on what has happened, what needs to be included for next session, edit things out that didn’t work or wont be happening.

i havent dm'd before, but i imagine it would be helpful to me if i did to make quick notes of what happened when it happens during the session since i can have trouble remembering afterward.

This might be hard, but maybe pass the DM torch to someone else, and instead, focus on planning the most epic character with the most amazing gear and abilities. Maybe assist the new DM in worldbuilding and monster placement. That way it's still fun, and not a headache.

New Threads

Top Bottom