• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My Speech patterns are...weird

D'Andre

OK so I never record myself speaking but decided to for a possible video. It was so odd. I have this thing where when I'm home, I speak/pray in monotone and with as little lip movement as possible. Talking in public feels unnatural though I've learned ways to mask it?? Hearing the playback, my speech patterns are so sparatic, and it sounds so forced. Hearing what others hear now gives me insight on why some people don't take me seriously or they seem comfortable dominating the conversation. Is that common with ASD?

I was actually just talking about this with a friend earlier!
This may be unusual for autistic people but I don’t have a monotone voice at all. I actually have a very expressive voice (and also a very expressive face.)

But the thing that’s weird about my speech patterns is that sometimes my voice is TOO expressive. It’s very hard for me to sound calm when I’m talking. The only way I can describe it in writing is that I sometimes put too much emphasis on certain words, or when I get excited or worked up about something I raise and lower my voice a lot. I don’t think I have the best volume control.
A few people have said that I talk like a cartoon character.

I hope that makes sense. Is anyone else here like this?

I don't know if this is related, but once I hit the record button and try to do some monologue everything pretty much falls apart and I overanalyze my voice to death. I basically just keep doing takes over and over again, never being satisfied with any of them because I sound very unnatural every time.

I can't tell if this is just during those awkward moments or if I really sound like that. My self-awareness detector is so faulty that I never know how I come across to anyone ever

I am relatively expressive i think but my voice gets monotone when i am anxious. I also forget what i am going to say when i start a sentence, and it ends a lot different than what i meant to say initially but this might be adhd.

OK so I never record myself speaking but decided to for a possible video. It was so odd.
I despise hearing my recorded voice, but self acceptance is something that I’m working on. If you want to change it, playing back a recording is a really useful way to learn. We used to have to do this when I was in graduate school for social work - we would have to watch ourselves do mock therapy sessions. It was unbearable to watch sometimes, but a critical way to adapt my behavior and learn.

My recorded voice sounds meh to me, but I have been in choirs & musical plays,* so others seem to find it pleasing.

*Both required auditions.

This may be unusual for autistic people but I don’t have a monotone voice at all. I actually have a very expressive voice (and also a very expressive face.)

But the thing that’s weird about my speech patterns is that sometimes my voice is TOO expressive. It’s very hard for me to sound calm when I’m talking. The only way I can describe it in writing is that I sometimes put too much emphasis on certain words, or when I get excited or worked up about something I raise and lower my voice a lot. I don’t think I have the best volume control.

Yeah!
My recorded voice sounds meh to me, but I have been in choirs & musical plays,* so others seem to find it pleasing.

*Both required auditions.
yeah singing i'm pretty comfortable with. it's the talking for me

ok i'm gonna finish my "yeah!" reply. had to get on an actual computer. i don't know, i've always had some issue with how I sound, but also how it feels when i speak. i also feel so much more comfortable typing or writing. Some people seem to have little patience talking to me because i hesitant and have to take pauses. Especially when it's an argument, I can't get my point across either because i can't come up with the words or i'm slow so they dominate the dialogue. i can be expressive too, but yeah it's hard to navigate my volume and sound natural, im glad i'm not the only one.

I am relatively expressive i think but my voice gets monotone when i am anxious. I also forget what i am going to say when i start a sentence, and it ends a lot different than what i meant to say initially but this might be adhd.
gotcha. yeah it's crazy because, well communicating is so important but i'd rather be silent sometimes.

I have a monotone voice, too. My mother says my voice became monotone when I reached puberty. But people have said that when I read out loud I sound like an actor. And I can certainly sing very well.

My speech therapist suggested that I smile when I talk. I think that usually makes a difference.

OK so I never record myself speaking but decided to for a possible video. It was so odd. I have this thing where when I'm home, I speak/pray in monotone and with as little lip movement as possible. Talking in public feels unnatural though I've learned ways to mask it?? Hearing the playback, my speech patterns are so sparatic, and it sounds so forced. Hearing what others hear now gives me insight on why some people don't take me seriously or they seem comfortable dominating the conversation. Is that common with ASD?
The short answer to your question is,...yes.

I've recorded lectures, audio and visual,...I find them rather disturbing,...LOL! I wouldn't say monotone,...but pretty close to it,...enough to make things boring.:)

I even find my speech patterns,....the pauses,....(notice the ... in my writing) is the same in my brain and speaking,...and carries over into my writing.

Volume doesn't change much,...I am pretty soft spoken most of the time,...and when stressed, just gets softer. My wife has a difficult time hearing me and is always asking me to repeat things and speak up. I usually use a microphone when lecturing,...my poor students.:)

The short answer to your question is,...yes.

I've recorded lectures, audio and visual,...I find them rather disturbing,...LOL! I wouldn't say monotone,...but pretty close to it,...enough to make things boring.:)

I even find my speech patterns,....the pauses,....(notice the ... in my writing) is the same in my brain and speaking,...and carries over into my writing.

Volume doesn't change much,...I am pretty soft spoken most of the time,...and when stressed, just gets softer. My wife has a difficult time hearing me and is always asking me to repeat things and speak up. I usually use a microphone when lecturing,...my poor students.:)
Its such a relief to know people relate. Its neat that you are a lecturer. Yes my texting and writing has pauses to. As you say the brain pauses

For me, it really depends on who I am speaking to. When speaking to family members (whether I am close to them or not) I tend to be pretty quiet and my voice is more monotone (my cousin said I sound like a psychopath just today, as a joke of course), but when talking with friends or strangers I sound a lot like what you are describing. I think I come across like a salesman, or someone who is fake or trying too hard when speaking to them. I think it's because I both get overexcited and anxious when talking which causes my voice to become higher pitched and more frantic. Cartoon character would be a good way to describe how I sound. I don't really speak to myself except in unedifying circumstances, so I'm unsure what the answer would be. I do have a good singing voice, but my range is quite limited which can be frustrating.

For me, it really depends on who I am speaking to. When speaking to family members (whether I am close to them or not) I tend to be pretty quiet and my voice is more monotone (my cousin said I sound like a psychopath just today, as a joke of course), but when talking with friends or strangers I sound a lot like what you are describing. I think I come across like a salesman, or someone who is fake or trying too hard when speaking to them. I think it's because I both get overexcited and anxious when talking which causes my voice to become higher pitched and more frantic. Cartoon character would be a good way to describe how I sound. I don't really speak to myself except in unedifying circumstances, so I'm unsure what the answer would be. I do have a good singing voice, but my range is quite limited which can be frustrating.
Range is an easy fix if you have access to voice lessons. I'm a new voice teacher and its very possible to expand your range

Range is an easy fix if you have access to voice lessons. I'm a new voice teacher and its very possible to expand your range
I did actually attend a voice lesson last year which really helped. It was quite useful, but I have been procrastinating contacting the teacher again.

New Threads

Top Bottom