• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My reishi puppies

TBRS1

Transparent turnip
If your weird obsession area of specialized interest does not include mushrooms, you won't know what these are. These are reishi mushrooms.

IMG_20230809_094931.jpg

They aren't edible - they are like wood, but people grind them up and make a tea that is supposed to be good for you (reishi is called "the mushroom of immortality" in China). This may be true, but I don't know.

I grow them because it is fun to watch them develop like little stalagmites. The ones in the picture are still small, about 4 inches, so these are just puppies.

If your weird obsession area of specialized interest does not include mushrooms, you won't know what these are. These are reishi mushrooms.

View attachment 111601

They aren't edible - they are like wood, but people grind them up and make a tea that is supposed to be good for you (reishi is called "the mushroom of immortality" in China). This may be true, but I don't know.

I grow them because it is fun to watch them develop like little stalagmites. The ones in the picture are still small, about 4 inches, so these are just puppies.
I've heard of the tea, didn't know it comes from mushrooms.

I've heard of the tea, didn't know it comes from mushrooms.
There are a few well known medicinal mushrooms. Reishi and cordycept (I grow these, too) are the best known - turkey tail is pretty well known, and also very common outdoors, so I don't grow them.

The matured one looks like Ganoderma. Some people put it in their coffee or milk chocolate. Is being used for immunity and cancer fighting but the clinical evidence is lacking.

Ganoderma - Wikipedia

Apparently mushroom consumption is interdicted when you have a fungus infection.

A polyporacea. The polypores around me that I like to collect and eat are the King Boletes (Boletus edulis).

The matured one looks like Ganoderma. Some people put it in their coffee or milk chocolate. Is being used for immunity and cancer fighting but the clinical evidence is lacking.

Ganoderma - Wikipedia

Apparently mushroom consumption is interdicted when you have a fungus infection.
Yup! Reishi is Ganoderm lucidum (usually - there are a couple close relatives that can be called reishi).

A lot of the wood rotting mushrooms are being looked at for cancer treatments. Generally, all the bracket fungus are reputed to stimulate the immune system. Reishi is most famous for this use.

We're only just starting to relearn about a lot of the different species here and their uses. It's a bit of a topical subject in Australia at the moment because there's a woman in the news that just poisoned her family with mushrooms, they're still investigating wether it was deliberate or not.

"Mushrooms are a fungus and, as such, can also contribute to yeast overgrowth. Mushrooms have a role to play in medicine and some species can boost the immune system. However, for the purpose of treating Candida, any foods that have a fungal component to them are best avoided to minimize yeast growth in the intestines."
Can eating too many mushrooms make you sick? - All Famous Faqs

However, "Lingzhi or Reishi Medicinal Mushroom, Ganoderma lucidum (Agaricomycetes), Inhibits Candida Biofilms."
Lingzhi or Reishi Medicinal Mushroom, Ganoderma lucidum (Agaricomycetes), Inhibits Candida Biofilms: A Metabolomic Approach - PubMed

We're only just starting to relearn about a lot of the different species here and their uses. It's a bit of a topical subject in Australia at the moment because there's a woman in the news that just poisoned her family with mushrooms, they're still investigating wether it was deliberate or not.

They can be very dangerous, mixed spores even if they seem safe.

I read about the idea they might use bioluminescent plants/mushrooms in the future instead of lamps to light up the streets at night, more ecological.

"Although generally very dim, in some cases foxfire is bright enough to read by."

LOL - I never find boletes before the maggots do. People say "Just eat them anyway." I say "Nope."
The only boletes I have seen that are uniformly chewed on are Suillus luteus. The King Boletes (aka Porcini) I find are rarely infested. They are choice.

I have some Chantrelles that I found in the fridge while I decide what to make. I think some polenta with mascarpone and chantrells would be nice.

Last edited:

I have been reading about that. It's news in the U.S. as well.

I'm not sure what the situation in Australia is, but Aminita poisoning is rare in the U.S. - it's easily identified, and most people shy away from anything that looks like one. Aminita I.D. is the first thing everybody is taught.

Really, really terrible way to die. Takes days, and is painful.

They can be very dangerous, mixed spores even if they seem safe.

I read about the idea they might use bioluminescent plants/mushrooms in the future instead of lamps to light up the streets at night, more ecological.

"Although generally very dim, in some cases foxfire is bright enough to read by."
Oh my - dinoflagellates are what you want. These are on my "I Want" list. (search Amazon or other): How to Grow Bioluminescent Algae at Home: 9 Steps (with Pictures)

I'm not sure what the situation in Australia is, but Aminita poisoning is rare in the U.S. - it's easily identified, and most people shy away from anything that looks like one. Aminita I.D. is the first thing everybody is taught.
This is why it seems suspicious. We do have a few poisonings from time to time but usually it's migrants that don't recognise a lot of our mushrooms. I can't imagine any Aussies eating them by accident, especially those living in a rural area.

This is why it seems suspicious. We do have a few poisonings from time to time but usually it's migrants that don't recognise a lot of our mushrooms. I can't imagine any Aussies eating them by accident, especially those living in a rural area.
Yup - generally immigrants from tropical Asia - Aminitas are cold weather, but the tropical paddy straw mushroom (common tropical edible) looks very similar.

Yup - generally immigrants from tropical Asia - Aminitas are cold weather, but the tropical paddy straw mushroom (common tropical edible) looks very similar.
We do have another one in South Australia that looks remarkably like a common european field mushroom too, it looks identical, same colour gills and everything, but it smells wrong. That one catches a lot of europeans out but as far as I know there's been no deaths from it.

I don't know the names of any of them for you though.

What type of substrate do you use?
For the reishi I use sawdust - where charcoal is sold for grilling, compressed wood pellets are sold for "smoking." If you add boiling water to the pellets, you get wet sawdust - perfect for wood eating fungus.

(reishi Infected sawdust blocks are being played with to form building structures and packaging material - like the formed foam material used to protect bottles during shipping. Also, vegan leather: Materials - MycoWorks )

New Threads

Top Bottom