• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My friend got baked with me and when she looked at me she said she saw nothing.

M.Morozova

We're teens and something last week happened between me and my best friend after smoking some pot.. I got high but it wasn't a horrible trip. but my friend on the other hand got a bad trip and got paranoid.. and maybe I said things that I shouldn't have said if someone is in that state of mind to result in what we talked about later. (like I played along with what she was saying about her feelings at some point for example..)

Her bad trip just had all of her insecurities amplified and made more apparent and intense to her. She went through her entire book of insecurities I guess you can say in that 2 hours.

At one point we sat down, she looked at me and implored me 50x "Do you have empathy?"
No matter what reply I gave. It wasn't enough for her. Like I have no answer for that at all type of thing. She got really scared because she saw nothing in me.

A week later we meet again.

She says the truth comes out on weed (like saying a drunk hear speaks sober words) and asked me, now sober.
"So tell me do you have empathy?"
Like she told me I didn't take her seriously when she was high, which was sort of true and that I played along with some of what she said which made her scared. I apologized after, felt bad, kind of wanted to cry when she put me on the spot that but her real question was if I had empathy or not.

I honestly have trouble expressing my concern and my way of dealing with others emotions is to be very emotionally neutral and I kind of beat around the bush about it. It comes off as them not being taken seriously which it can be. Like showing empathy that a lot of teachers or parents have for kids "Awww sweety, don't worry." kind of tone or even like normal age-appropriate empathy would be the equivalent feeling of dread of showing my genitals in a public place. But yeah there's been times where I've come off as insensitive. I mean being autistic isn't really the only experience which defines how I react to negative emotions.

I tried giving something kind of casual but it sounded like bs like |I could not think of any answer at all. Like I went blank and detached myself.

The only thing that finally ended it was just to remind her I'm autistic and now I realize I have a problem and I thought everything was okay by now and I wonder why I was ever diagnosed in the first place but now I realize I have a problem. (Actually)

Maybe she forgot or didn't understand but that brought some closure to her. She's known for years though..

But part of me still feels kind of ripped off by the fact that she thinks being high brings a valid epiphany. She did it again with someone else and all the 'truth' came out with another person except it was more positive.

She's sort of the type of person who likes people who are more engaging with their environment and multifaceted, especially older people who seem to satisfy her more emotionally. She can experience moments of grandiosity where she gets so inspired and wants something totally ELSE and right now is not enough, this is good usually but it can get into your face annoying sometimes and it's kind of a turn off. Sometimes I don't say what I'm doing or what I did on the weekend because she might've wanted to self invite but not in a discreet way more like "omg can i come?? plz plz plz" //shakes my arm it's not like I ever did that or even ever got invited to join along with her friends once or twice?? I invited her to a couple things and never complained or begged her to add me in.

Me and another one of her friends are pretty quiet people sometimes, we were sitting on the metro during a weekend trip all together and later she told us after the other friend got sad because of an unexplained reason. She started asking us things like, "Why weren't you guys talking on the metro/bus?"
"Why don't you guys give a good reply to when I say something?"

I asked, "What would your other older friends do?"

"They would share a story, talk and stuff."

I feel like we aren't enough for her sometimes. Usually I do share stories and things. Sometimes when I see her it's just not my type of mood for that day. Other times I just can't relate or don't have the life experiences.

Plus 3 full days and night together, there are bound to be times where I don't feel like engaging with other people.

I feel like this has too do with my own personality, I'm a bit stand off-ish especially if someone is super eager. I can be mean sometimes idk.

I hope I'm wrong, but your friend sounds like she has a little act going on, that she uses to serve some purposes that aren't exactly honest. Might be just my perception, though, but she doesn't strike me as the type of person I would put trust in (especially being more vulnerable), nor like the type of person who is a good fit for friendship, if what she wants is so different from what you have to offer, someone is bound to be frustrated. Maybe she's just insecure, though.

At any rate, I believe this is your first post, and I'm usually a lot more positive in my welcomes and not so blunt, so hello and welcome :)

Hi Morozova, welcome to AC.

So you got baked on weed with your friends? And she started acting like there were all kinds of problems with your communication? Demanding you act like some other person, that you're not. Well she sounds like someone who weed makes a little mean, and uses it as an excuse to be nasty to some people at times.

Weed doesn't help you see the truth, all it does is help you lose your inhibitions, and make you sleepy and then abnormally hungry for junk food. She might believe that it's a truth serum, but it's not. Ignore what people say when they are drunk or stoned, don't take it too seriously.

Last edited:
IMG_0245.GIF

Welcome!

We feel empathy in a different way, and express it in a different way. Whereas a NT might reciprocate with a story of a similar experience we might try to make things better by doing something nice. Thing is, NTs are looking for the NT style of expressing empathy, so they don't know it when they see it.

We have perfectly intact affective empathy, it's cognitive empathy we lack, the difference might be worth reading in to.

And a "bad trip" off pot? She should stay away from hard drugs, seriously.

Welcome!

And a "bad trip" off pot? She should stay away from hard drugs, seriously.

LMAO That is exactly what I was thinking. You don't exactly "trip" on pot. I guess some paranoia can come on some times, but that's not the same thing.

personally, i'm anti any drugs and alcohol,
but i am a bit of a control freak and wouldn't want to hurt people if something set me free to say whatever i think

i don't feel empathy, bit i understand empathy
someone feels bad about something, i don't feel hurt with them, but i conceptually understand why they are feeling bad, and i know that i am expected to try to show understanding and offer supporting words, even if i don't find that their pain is justified (i.e. their emotional pain is their own fault and could easily have been avoided)

where i live, we have a saying that i will translate: 'if you are dumb enough to burn your ass, well then you will just have to sit on the blisters' and i have trouble showing sympathy/empathy for people that cause and perpetuate their own problems

a lot of times, i get the impression that people i've known that were expecting 'empathy' basically had done something stupid, and were just looking for someone to tell them that it wasn't their fault

Last edited:
I hope I'm wrong, but your friend sounds like she has a little act going on, that she uses to serve some purposes that aren't exactly honest. Might be just my perception, though, but she doesn't strike me as the type of person I would put trust in (especially being more vulnerable), nor like the type of person who is a good fit for friendship, if what she wants is so different from what you have to offer, someone is bound to be frustrated. Maybe she's just insecure, though.

At any rate, I believe this is your first post, and I'm usually a lot more positive in my welcomes and not so blunt, so hello and welcome :)

Agreeing with the bulk of your answer; not the last bit lol :)

We're teens and something last week happened between me and my best friend after smoking some pot.. I got high but it wasn't a horrible trip. but my friend on the other hand got a bad trip and got paranoid.. and maybe I said things that I shouldn't have said if someone is in that state of mind to result in what we talked about later. (like I played along with what she was saying about her feelings at some point for example..)

Her bad trip just had all of her insecurities amplified and made more apparent and intense to her. She went through her entire book of insecurities I guess you can say in that 2 hours.

At one point we sat down, she looked at me and implored me 50x "Do you have empathy?"
No matter what reply I gave. It wasn't enough for her. Like I have no answer for that at all type of thing. She got really scared because she saw nothing in me.

A week later we meet again.

She says the truth comes out on weed (like saying a drunk hear speaks sober words) and asked me, now sober.
"So tell me do you have empathy?"
Like she told me I didn't take her seriously when she was high, which was sort of true and that I played along with some of what she said which made her scared. I apologized after, felt bad, kind of wanted to cry when she put me on the spot that but her real question was if I had empathy or not.

I honestly have trouble expressing my concern and my way of dealing with others emotions is to be very emotionally neutral and I kind of beat around the bush about it. It comes off as them not being taken seriously which it can be. Like showing empathy that a lot of teachers or parents have for kids "Awww sweety, don't worry." kind of tone or even like normal age-appropriate empathy would be the equivalent feeling of dread of showing my genitals in a public place. But yeah there's been times where I've come off as insensitive. I mean being autistic isn't really the only experience which defines how I react to negative emotions.

I tried giving something kind of casual but it sounded like bs like |I could not think of any answer at all. Like I went blank and detached myself.

The only thing that finally ended it was just to remind her I'm autistic and now I realize I have a problem and I thought everything was okay by now and I wonder why I was ever diagnosed in the first place but now I realize I have a problem. (Actually)

Maybe she forgot or didn't understand but that brought some closure to her. She's known for years though..

But part of me still feels kind of ripped off by the fact that she thinks being high brings a valid epiphany. She did it again with someone else and all the 'truth' came out with another person except it was more positive.

She's sort of the type of person who likes people who are more engaging with their environment and multifaceted, especially older people who seem to satisfy her more emotionally. She can experience moments of grandiosity where she gets so inspired and wants something totally ELSE and right now is not enough, this is good usually but it can get into your face annoying sometimes and it's kind of a turn off. Sometimes I don't say what I'm doing or what I did on the weekend because she might've wanted to self invite but not in a discreet way more like "omg can i come?? plz plz plz" //shakes my arm it's not like I ever did that or even ever got invited to join along with her friends once or twice?? I invited her to a couple things and never complained or begged her to add me in.

Me and another one of her friends are pretty quiet people sometimes, we were sitting on the metro during a weekend trip all together and later she told us after the other friend got sad because of an unexplained reason. She started asking us things like, "Why weren't you guys talking on the metro/bus?"
"Why don't you guys give a good reply to when I say something?"

I asked, "What would your other older friends do?"

"They would share a story, talk and stuff."

I feel like we aren't enough for her sometimes. Usually I do share stories and things. Sometimes when I see her it's just not my type of mood for that day. Other times I just can't relate or don't have the life experiences.

Plus 3 full days and night together, there are bound to be times where I don't feel like engaging with other people.

I feel like this has too do with my own personality, I'm a bit stand off-ish especially if someone is super eager. I can be mean sometimes idk.
She sounds like an attention seeker and she would irritate me to no end.

New Threads

Top Bottom