• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My employers won't let me do any work - advice needed.

Ariel

I just recently secured a permanent job with a prestigious global company and it seemed to be a dream come true: good pay, fantastic benefits and nice people.
The baffling thing is that I don't seem to have any work and I spend whole days just sitting at my desk (open plan office) with nothing to do. I'm constantly asking my colleagues if I can help them with any of their projects, but they always have an excuse such as there being a problem with the project that only they can deal with, or they don't have time to induct me. I've now read all of the work-related material I can get my hands on. There is no personal use of the Internet allowed and my desk is positioned so that visitors and senior members of the company can see me at all times, so there is no way to alleviate the boredom, which is driving me insane. They must be aware that I have nothing to do but it doesn't seem to bother them.
So far my Team Manager has admitted that the work is, 'slow' but assured me that it will pick up very soon, and that my fellow trainees who started a few months ago are now very busy. My fellow trainees have confided in me that this is not the case and they also have very little to do. I can't explain this to my Team Manager without involving them, which they don't want!
It probably sounds pathetic - I should be grateful that I am earning good money but I just don't know how much longer I can stand to do nothing but pretend to look busy. I'm still in my probationary period so I want to create a good impression and I feel completely trapped by the situation. I don't even know if how I feel is justified.
Does anyone have experience with a strange situation like this?

What is the nature of your job? It almost sounds like you're describing a receptionist. In corporate scenarios I've seen even receptionists given work to keep them busy by their supervisors.

At least you let your Team Manager know you're available for work. Probably the most important thing. Maybe it's exactly as he said, and for the timed being you just have to "hang tight".

Wow, sounds like my dream job.;)

I guess I would spend my time journaling , making observations about the workplace, writing them down, might be helpful in getting oriented.

If you can do so without being a pest, ask some veteran co-workers about their projects, just for information, not to offer any help. Might help you know what kind of work you'll eventually be involved with.

Thanks for your suggestions. You're exactly right in that I feel almost ashamed for complaining! Having no point is much more difficult than it sounds though, and I would happily take a pay decrease if someone would just let me do even the most menial tasks to feel useful. Incredibly, it is a commercial project manager role that would normally carry a lot of responsibility.

Hi, Ariel, welcome to the forum!

Congratulations, you're doing exactly what you should be doing. It doesn't feel like work because the first thing you're being measured on is how well you deal with ambiguity. Dial down the anxiety and dial up on "friendly"--smile, a lot.

The second thing you're being measured on is how much of a self-starter you are.

The third thing you're being measured on is how reliable you are.

You got the job because they think you're all these things. Now they want to see them.

Are you aspie, and if so, how much? It's not that I need to know, but that your strategies may vary depending on what comes most easy to you.

Pick something interesting that's related to your company's industry, or one of your bosses or colleagues. If they have bookshelves, borrow a book and give yourself a study project: how is this topic related to anything I can imagine doing at this job?

Magazines related to the work of the boss are always appropriate.

Take everything I wrote with a grain of salt--it's what's worked for me.

Let us know how things go!

I've been there myself and, on that basis, I fully understand how tedious this must be for you. I've never been more exhausted than I was when I had nothing to do, and work already depletes me plenty when it's 'tolerable'!! You are justified in complaining.

Perhaps your employer or supervisors are indeed playing mindgames in the name of testing you, as was already suggested. Personally, it wouldn't endear them to me, but your mileage may vary. What you can and cannot do will vary with company culture and the wider culture you're located in. In my case, I had to pretend to be busy and just found useless, utterly stultifying stuff to do (organising or reorganising something, translating something like Terms and Conditions and the like into languages that would likely never become relevant to that employer), while reading work-related magazines wouldn't have flown at all, no matter how useful.

Generally, my impression of an employer that hires people and then just allocates them a desk and forgets about them isn't all that favourable, regardless of their name and global prestige. They don't seem too organised. After the many different jobs I've had at very different places, I would now consider that a huge red flag.

But, do try whatever feels right. If no one reprimands you for it, you can basically keep it up until you either become fed up with the situation or are given actual work.

I've been in a similar situation, where I had tasks, but not enough to fill the time. I went ahead and used the internet anyway, or read a book. If they can't be bothered to come up with things that need to be done, I can't be bothered to just sit there and stare at nothing. Seriously, got enough of that in school.

I don't really know your situation, but here are some suggestions:
Spend time getting better acquainted with your company's products, services and systems.
Browse the company intranet.
Get to know (at least the names and faces of) key members of your department and other departments you may work with.
Brush up on any software that they use.
Read relevant books/literature.
Attend inhouse training courses.
Ask if you may attend a relevant external training course.
Accompany Sales reps to meet real customers.
If all else fails, read Dilbert. It is at least work related :)

I love your views and ideas! (You'll have to excuse my over-enthusiasm, I'm still quite new to both the forum and my diagnosis..)
Yes, I'm diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome. I'm one of the many overlooked female Aspies who puts up a convincing performance during the day and then falls apart completely in the evening. Work is usually a safe-zone because communication there has a clear objective. Take me down to the pub however and we have a problem.
It's almost as if my employers are hiring people as a back-up in case more work arrives. I do hope they're not playing mind games because I'm terrible at those.

Personally, I would say good bye and not look back. How I hate people who think they can play around with someone's mind and all because they are global and offering good pay.

When I was 17, a friend of the family secured a job for me in a solicitors office, in the centre of London. I was given a 6 month trial period and the end result, would be me working as a typist. Well, they deemed that my trial period should start with reception work and I had 0 experience, but I guess, I got the hang of it, but hated it and would jump, each time the phone rang. Because I was the first person clients would see, I was not allowed to keep myself occupied and, oh wow, the sheer boredom I felt...... well, the old system meant that a button was pressed to so that communications between the receptionist and solicitor, was private.

Not even 6 month's was up, before I was called in to the offices and told that they were very impressed and felt that the trial period was not needed.

I did get a desk and did do a bit of typing and even had duties of making drinks and having to serve in the board room, that honestly freaked me out, but I did ok because I was so conscious of not making errors.

Sadly, though, they still demanded I do reception work, despite not applying for that. I had no idea that I suffered aspergers, just that I felt different and not happy and certainly not part of the team. Almost like I was playing at a game and hated it.

Well, one morning, whilst on blasted reception duties, I was called the the office, where I was told that they were down sizing and did not require me any more and, although I was shocked and hurt, I did not show this and they reassured me that I would leave with full pay. I said I would go then, but they said that they wanted me to go back to the reception area and work and leave at the end. Well, in all honesty, the correct thing to do, completely escaped me and I felt such a burning anger. I did not say anything, but on going back, as it happened a particularly annoying client for this solicitor phoned and I tell you, he often mocked her etc. So this time, I let go of the private button and this enabled her to hear EVERY THING said about her and he was not short on telling me what he thought of her. As I was leaving for ever, I heard this solicitor screaming that he had lost a prostegious client, so he was willing to take her money..... I left with a satisfied smile.

I found I was my most happiest cleaning holiday homes and being a professional ironer. I rather enjoy the job, than earn tons of money.

I had a similar issue for a company I once worked for. Most the time project manager keeps forgetting about me so there nothing to do. Sometimes I'm able to help other co workers. Other times, I find my own work to do and address issues the company complains about but never created support tickets on these issues yet.

I just recently secured a permanent job with a prestigious global company and it seemed to be a dream come true: good pay, fantastic benefits and nice people.
The baffling thing is that I don't seem to have any work and I spend whole days just sitting at my desk (open plan office) with nothing to do. I'm constantly asking my colleagues if I can help them with any of their projects, but they always have an excuse such as there being a problem with the project that only they can deal with, or they don't have time to induct me. I've now read all of the work-related material I can get my hands on. There is no personal use of the Internet allowed and my desk is positioned so that visitors and senior members of the company can see me at all times, so there is no way to alleviate the boredom, which is driving me insane. They must be aware that I have nothing to do but it doesn't seem to bother them.
So far my Team Manager has admitted that the work is, 'slow' but assured me that it will pick up very soon, and that my fellow trainees who started a few months ago are now very busy. My fellow trainees have confided in me that this is not the case and they also have very little to do. I can't explain this to my Team Manager without involving them, which they don't want!
It probably sounds pathetic - I should be grateful that I am earning good money but I just don't know how much longer I can stand to do nothing but pretend to look busy. I'm still in my probationary period so I want to create a good impression and I feel completely trapped by the situation. I don't even know if how I feel is justified.
Does anyone have experience with a strange situation like this?
It is a normal situation in engineering companies, it has happened to me and most people I know in my industry. Most everyone would rather be doing something, but your company has been around a while, and will be around for the forseeable future. I think upper management knows that, and has a long term perspective on new employees. It sounds more like a green flag to me, that people at that company have a good sense of perspective. Your actions seem appropriate. Let managers know you are available and interested in work at various intervals. You'll get flooded with work soon enough. And it is true that it is hard to suddenly include new employees on old long-running projects. Most of the time I have kept work to myself when new employees arrive, because they wouldn't understand the nuances of the old project, and seem better off starting on a new project.

It is a normal situation in engineering companies, it has happened to me and most people I know in my industry. Most everyone would rather be doing something, but your company has been around a while, and will be around for the forseeable future. I think upper management knows that, and has a long term perspective on new employees. It sounds more like a green flag to me, that people at that company have a good sense of perspective. Your actions seem appropriate. Let managers know you are available and interested in work at various intervals. You'll get flooded with work soon enough. And it is true that it is hard to suddenly include new employees on old long-running projects. Most of the time I have kept work to myself when new employees arrive, because they wouldn't understand the nuances of the old project, and seem better off starting on a new project.

It is indeed an engineering company....for a moment then I was worried you might be my manager! Thanks for offering a different perspective. I've mentioned it to someone with influence and since then I've been given more regular (though still not enough) work. It seems odd to me that they would put so much time and energy into finding the right person, only to then forget all about them.

It is indeed an engineering company....for a moment then I was worried you might be my manager! Thanks for offering a different perspective. I've mentioned it to someone with influence and since then I've been given more regular (though still not enough) work. It seems odd to me that they would put so much time and energy into finding the right person, only to then forget all about them.
No worries there, I'm a female piping designer with 7 years in the oil and gas industry. I quit my job recently, but am going to apply and try to get back to work in a month or two. Maybe not the best timing, given the current volatility in oil and gas prices, but I'm not worried. It's great to see other girls in engineering jobs, aspergers or not. I'm not diagnosed, but looking into getting an assessment before going back to work. I hope this job goes well for you.

Well, you can probably bring a book to read or something quiet and not super noticeable, and of course appropriate enough for your environment. It is possible that they might have hired you to cover a requirement they must meet if they know you have an official diagnosis, but they can't tell you that straight out because that could be potentially liable. Most jobs, they overwork you and you don't get paid enough. I'd find a way to make your current situation work for you without bothering other people until needed. Keep reading more, or if there's something you know how to do, you can initiate asking if you can do something. I'd only ask about small tasks- maybe start with something like cleaning the bathroom, making coffee, or if you notice that someone could use help writing a thank you note, etc. This situation does not sound like one where I'd ask someone for help with something you don't know unless you're required to do a project. E-mail may be a good option to ask non-important or less urgent questions. If you can't judge, then generally safer bet is to not make contact at all. It is, however, your judge to be able to make those judgements in any kind of job pretty much though, and the line has to be "drawn" somewhere for that too.

Be careful about how much you ask and what you ask for though too, and sometimes to who if possible.

Last edited:
I would love to read my book, but as I sit in full-view of two managers, by-passing directors and visitors, I'm understandably nervous about it! I thought the situation was improving, but any work I am now assigned tends to take no more than ten minutes: going to collect items from the stationary room, renaming some files etc. I offer my assistance to everyone in the department on a daily basis - nothing. I've read a lot of the literature and suggested improvements and amendments to processes - no one is interested. I flag the problem weekly with my managers and HR, but the promised improvements/training never happens.
Not sure how they feel about my diagnosis. They didn't know when they hired me, and the other new starter (non-asperger's) is still in the same situation that I am... after six months! This has probably been my only comfort so far - that I'm not completely alone in the situation. :confused:

If I was in your position I'd probably leave. A bored Aspie is not a happy Aspie so if this how it's been for a awhile, it sounds like they are selective about who they let do what. It sounds like you have a fantastic skills set and could probably get a job somewhere else where the work is frequent, and actually exists. :D I would first ask your manager when do they expect work to pick up. Even asking for small tasks might be a good way to show you're capable so they build trust in you. It sounds like job wise you're in a good place and leaving would be a last resort. :)

I'd make it a small book, like a pocket dictionary, and read it while hiding it with my body. I might however also have asked if it's okay to read during taskfree periods.

I would love to read my book, but as I sit in full-view of two managers, by-passing directors and visitors, I'm understandably nervous about it! I thought the situation was improving, but any work I am now assigned tends to take no more than ten minutes: going to collect items from the stationary room, renaming some files etc. I offer my assistance to everyone in the department on a daily basis - nothing. I've read a lot of the literature and suggested improvements and amendments to processes - no one is interested. I flag the problem weekly with my managers and HR, but the promised improvements/training never happens.
Not sure how they feel about my diagnosis. They didn't know when they hired me, and the other new starter (non-asperger's) is still in the same situation that I am... after six months! This has probably been my only comfort so far - that I'm not completely alone in the situation. :confused:

Someone asked me if I was 100% utilized at work and was startled when I said no. I pointed out that a highway that's 100% utilized means nobody's moving: there are too many cars on it. As a newbie, it's often a good idea to hold off on trying to bring in "improvements" until you see a bigger picture or get asked to address something--you may not be aware of the larger rhythms. Finally---they do have responsibilities that they can't delegate. It's not all about you. It took me a very long time to realize that sometimes a manager hires because he or she has a budget and a "use it or lose it' situation. It makes sense to business to hire during a slow period so that when things speed up, you aren't a newbie anymore. Hang in there, and keep watching for ways to engage--and learn the rules of engagement from their point of view, not your anxiety about contributing. Just showing up on time every day is sometimes enough.

New Threads

Top Bottom