• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

"My Day of Discovery" - 8 years later

FromEquestria2LA

I forgot to post this Sunday, but here it is:

Sunday was "My Day of Discovery". Today is the 8th year anniversary of a huge weight lifted off my shoulders. Before I begin, please note that while I've told this story to many people, it's also for the benefit of those who are new to me. What happened to me? Well, my diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome was confirmed in my screening, thus giving myself a sense of closure about those doubts I had about it that had lingered for so long with me. I've called this day "My Day of Discovery" to honor this.

Wow, eight years, huh? Time flies. I know things have been screwed up these past couple years, but I will NEVER stop beacon of positivity (even with what is going on currently, and in spite of, confession time, me sometimes having periods of anxiety), because the world could use one, really.

Why am I so open about my diagnosis? Well, I want the world to know and be more aware of what I have, and that we're all unique parts of a puzzle.

Yes, I sometimes have my share of anxiety, I've had my share of heartbrak, but even through all this, I'll NEVER stop picking myself back up- because it's what I have to do. I know I still have my shortcomings, but no matter what, I'll never stop being me. I am forever grateful for this particular day because of the profound, positive effect it's had on me. I'm also grateful for everyone I've known over these years, because you've made me who I am: A very excellent person.

Thank you all for reading. Much love to all.

My day of discovery happened 44 years ago. This was back when autism was rarely diagnosed and everybody thought I was normal and my social isolation was a choice. I was on the verge of giving up especially as I desired a relationship with no skills to realize one. By 25 add sexual isolation to the mix. I felt lonely. Yet, I started changing myself to be social with some little success. Then at 28 my life changed when I discovered that a woman would accept me sexually. It was only at 60 that I had my diagnosis and that gave me perspective about that part of my life.

Much love back.

Yep, this puzzle you tell about is truly amazing. And even as a complete burnout brain person, I'm still myself (the ability to pick myself up is gone however, but it will return with time :)
I got the Aspie diagnosed one year and two months ago, age 50. It was liberating and gave closure.

New Threads

Top Bottom