• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My Boss Said... email at work

Hi there Xanderford

Hope you're well

Why did you *&$#
my #&(*&% you complete %£^(*(!!!!!

How many @%£$@%$&@$ times do I have to tell you to keep your filthy *][%$%> mitts off my £@$:>$^>$ work?

Were you born in a %@&*^}%${? barn?

Go £$+^$*)+* your $^&$£ in a vat of £*&%^

Kind regards

Quinn

Hi there Xanderford

Hope you're well

Why did you *&$#
my #&(*&% you complete %£^(*(!!!!!

How many @%£$@%$&@$ times do I have to tell you to keep your filthy *][%$%> mitts off my £@$:>$^>$ work?

Were you born in a %@&*^}%${? barn?

Go £$+^$*)+* your $^&$£ in a vat of £*&%^

Kind regards

Quinn

The world is yours. <SIGH>

Well-written business correspondence will contain all the elements of politeness, professionalism, and clarity. There is nothing wrong with applying any of the traditional phrases commonly used in formal correspondence. These get overlooked these days because e-mail habits have become too casual. Business correspondence falls into the category of legal document and it should be treated as such. Maintaining a good format for your business correspondence is very easy. For as valuable as standard phrases and accepted terms might be, there is nothing to stop you from personalizing your messages while maintaining professionalism. You are always free to design your correspondence any way you wish.

The composition of a good business letter should always convey appreciation, respect, concise clarity of your message, and appropriate references to related meetings, documents, and correspondence - whatever the case may be. If you research business letters online, you'll find a large quantity of examples that address how correspondence in various business organizations is handled. These are a great source of ideas for letter formats and phraseology.

Business correspondence composed by you is a direct reflection on you personally and professionally. You own it, so take advantage of the fact that you are in charge. Let your correspondence reflect you, whether ultra-formal or friendly/casual. A combination of the two is most common in American business. Internationally, correspondence should be more formal.

Your relationship to your client should dictate the tone of your correspondence, but keep i mind that what you write is a legal document. Don't be afraid to give your personal touches and preferences. If a suggested term or sentence doesn't feel right to you, just scrap it. I often close letters with the word "Respectfully,". I also still use "Dear..." as a salutation. It's very traditional, but it works. All of the variables are your choice.

I had the same confusion! I learned about it from a professor who said she would not answer emails if they weren't addressed properly. Now I'm a pro! It's useful for dealing with professors and employers. I usually end with "Thank you," as the closing thingmabob.

I wanna write one just cause everyone else is! :D

"Dear Professor Duck,

Quack!

Thank you,

Student Duck"

Well-written business correspondence will contain all the elements of politeness, professionalism, and clarity. There is nothing wrong with applying any of the traditional phrases commonly used in formal correspondence. These get overlooked these days because e-mail habits have become too casual. Business correspondence falls into the category of legal document and it should be treated as such. Maintaining a good format for your business correspondence is very easy. For as valuable as standard phrases and accepted terms might be, there is nothing to stop you from personalizing your messages while maintaining professionalism. You are always free to design your correspondence any way you wish.

The composition of a good business letter should always convey appreciation, respect, concise clarity of your message, and appropriate references to related meetings, documents, and correspondence - whatever the case may be. If you research business letters online, you'll find a large quantity of examples that address how correspondence in various business organizations is handled. These are a great source of ideas for letter formats and phraseology.

Business correspondence composed by you is a direct reflection on you personally and professionally. You own it, so take advantage of the fact that you are in charge. Let your correspondence reflect you, whether ultra-formal or friendly/casual. A combination of the two is most common in American business. Internationally, correspondence should be more formal.

Your relationship to your client should dictate the tone of your correspondence, but keep i mind that what you write is a legal document. Don't be afraid to give your personal touches and preferences. If a suggested term or sentence doesn't feel right to you, just scrap it. I often close letters with the word "Respectfully,". I also still use "Dear..." as a salutation. It's very traditional, but it works. All of the variables are your choice.

Well said. I always told my employees to never put anything in written correspondence/emails that they would not be proud to see plastered on the front page of the newspaper the next day.

I tend to imitate what the person I am communicating with does, although they may use terms that are out of my comfort zone. If it is formal I begin an e-mail with "Dear, Name of Person" or "To Whom it May Concern" if I don't know the name. If it is informal I might begin with "Hi, Name of Person".

I end with a sentence that says something to the effect of "thank you for your time" or whatever statement of appreciation is appropriate and then usually put the word "Sincerely" before my name. If it is less formal I might just end with "Thanks" and my name.

I always wasn't sure when the greetings and sign offs were appropriate versus not needed so I just almost always use them.

The sign off I use is

"Respectfully,"

When doing outside emails where we have to appear formal and (try to) please customers we have never met, I can see the point. But I don't see the point for in-office communication. I say thanks with my name at the end of my email, but I don't see the need for the greeting and full signature. Especially when the greeting and signature exceeds the size of the message. I see it as a waste of time and space, especially when the job ships and we have to print out all the related email threads and assemble them into a story for the job file. I think the tone of the email is in the message, regardless what comes before or after it. Like Autistamatic's post.

Hello Neighborly Denizens of This Abode,

From now on, I shall think of work emails as quasi-legal papers with rules that involve salutations and endings. I may not grok the necessity but it shall represent my token acknowledgement of NT thought.

All of you have made my day more productive. You rock!

With Warm Regards,
China

Hello Neighborly Denizens of This Abode,

From now on, I shall think of work emails as quasi-legal papers with rules that involve salutations and endings. I may not grok the necessity but it shall represent my token acknowledgement of NT thought.

All of you have made my day more productive. You rock!

With Warm Regards,
China
China:

FWIW, I'm right there with you.

However, I had a very severe and proper english teacher in middle-school.
"Correspondence" was it's own art form.

It can become a game, to me, to creatively choose "formal colloquialisms", the parts of a business letter.

And so, I leave this in explanation.

I look forward to our continued, mutual avoidance of propriety within the parameters of accepted convention.

Conflictedly Yours,

sidd

Now I want to end all of my emails with "conflictedly," and people can wonder, "Why is he always conflicted?? About what?"

New Threads

Top Bottom