• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My best bit of art so far!

Misery

Amalga Heart
V.I.P Member
Okay look at this:

9Ebg1C4.jpg

Just like I say every time, this took absolutely forever. I did it all in one night again, I really need to stop doing that. I'll regret that tomorrow.

I have named her Iris. Not for any specific reason, just "because". The lighting is bad, so it looks darker than it really is.

It's not the first character portrait I've done... I previously showed off "Sophie", done in a style similar to that of Martin Walls (the guy that inspired me to do ANY of this). But I dont exactly make character portraits very often. Trying to get facial features (particularly eyes) into the proper spots without them looking all skewed is the most bloody irritating thing I've encountered in making art so far. Yes, I know there's proper techniques that people use to do that easily, but I've not learned those yet. So yeah, I dont do characters often (yet).

Also, irritating realization, erasers just dont work on colored pencils.

There's other art pieces that I've done recently but have not shown off here also... my stepmother "commissioned" me to do some spring-themed drawings so she could make cards out of them for some reason, I've done a hot air balloon and a hydrangea flower, which are probably the second best things I've done (the flower was harder to do than Iris here, actually... just about went mad with that one). But I dont know where the originals went so I cant show those right now. I was super pleased with them though. If I find the blasted things I'll be sure to show those too.

Ya know, there's a really important lesson I've found that goes along with all of this: Never assume that you CANT accomplish something. Seriously, dont. Because you dont know. That stupid flower in particular, I was SURE I wasnt going to be able to actually pull it off (seriously it was really hard). But ya know what, I sat down and did it anyway.

I'm always telling people to not give up on stuff and keep trying, no matter what. So here's my own example of the results of that mentality.

Next up, hmm, I think I'd like to try drawing some more characters from Binding of Isaac. I love that game, I love those characters.

WOW!!!
Omg Sophie, this is beautiful! You did an amazing job!
That's also great that your stepmother is giving you outlets for your artwork.

And you're so right... "Never assume you can't accomplish something." I've been telling everyone to "never give up" the whole time I've been on this forum and I'd like to think that some of you have taken it to heart. I have definitely seen a lot of you do great things, and @Misery is a perfect example of this.

Sophie, incredible!!! Absolutely awesome work. The look on her face makes me want to look at her forever.

Its interesting. Firstly its great and looks great. Beautiful.

But its also interesting. Your fine drawing skills are not tuned with your perspective skill. I guess thats because you have not used directly your hands to draw so much.

So if we check the traces closely, we can see a beginner level:
IMG_20230227_074619.jpg

You have here traces with colour and traces left in blank. And your curves are irregular, like smalls kids when they are learning to draw circles and instead draw potatoes.

But if we check at perspective level, the work is proffesional like. Far better of what I could do. You may have noticed or not, but let me talk about it.

The eyes look straight to the viewer, but the head is not straight. I firstly noticed that rigth ear is bigger than left ear. But then, the right eye is also bigger than the left one. And the hair on the rigth is also closer than the hair on the left. And the way the head is bigger than the body is also like perspective. That you did that naturally is incredible. Thats a very, very advanced perspective skill. Most people (me included) never get to that point.

So congratulations, as you get fine skills with your hands you may unlock all your mind potential for drawing. Just be patient with your hands.

Okay look at this:

View attachment 97491

Just like I say every time, this took absolutely forever. I did it all in one night again, I really need to stop doing that. I'll regret that tomorrow.

I have named her Iris. Not for any specific reason, just "because". The lighting is bad, so it looks darker than it really is.

It's not the first character portrait I've done... I previously showed off "Sophie", done in a style similar to that of Martin Walls (the guy that inspired me to do ANY of this). But I dont exactly make character portraits very often. Trying to get facial features (particularly eyes) into the proper spots without them looking all skewed is the most bloody irritating thing I've encountered in making art so far. Yes, I know there's proper techniques that people use to do that easily, but I've not learned those yet. So yeah, I dont do characters often (yet).

There's other art pieces that I've done recently but have not shown off here also... my stepmother "commissioned" me to do some spring-themed drawings so she could make cards out of them for some reason, I've done a hot air balloon and a hydrangea flower, which are probably the second best things I've done (the flower was harder to do than Iris here, actually... just about went mad with that one). But I dont know where the originals went so I cant show those right now. I was super pleased with them though. If I find the blasted things I'll be sure to show those too.

Ya know, there's a really important lesson I've found that goes along with all of this: Never assume that you CANT accomplish something. Seriously, dont. Because you dont know. That stupid flower in particular, I was SURE I wasnt going to be able to actually pull it off (seriously it was really hard). But ya know what, I sat down and did it anyway.

I'm always telling people to not give up on stuff and keep trying, no matter what. So here's my own example of the results of that mentality.

Next up, hmm, I think I'd like to try drawing some more characters from Binding of Isaac. I love that game, I love those characters.
WOAH nice!!!! Art is amazing and I've so glad you've made something you're super proud of :)

Its interesting. Firstly its great and looks great. Beautiful.

But its also interesting. Your fine drawing skills are not tuned with your perspective skill. I guess thats because you have not used directly your hands to draw so much.

So if we check the traces closely, we can see a beginner level:
View attachment 97502
You have here traces with colour and traces left in blank. And your curves are irregular, like smalls kids when they are learning to draw circles and instead draw potatoes.

But if we check at perspective level, the work is proffesional like. Far better of what I could do. You may have noticed or not, but let me talk about it.

The eyes look straight to the viewer, but the head is not straight. I firstly noticed that rigth ear is bigger than left ear. But then, the right eye is also bigger than the left one. And the hair on the rigth is also closer than the hair on the left. And the way the head is bigger than the body is also like perspective. That you did that naturally is incredible. Thats a very, very advanced perspective skill. Most people (me included) never get to that point.

So congratulations, as you get fine skills with your hands you may unlock all your mind potential for drawing. Just be patient with your hands.

Hey, thanks for the detailed feedback!

About the erratic coloring lines and stuff, it turns out I've no bloody idea how to do anything with colored pencils. I'm actually used to brush pens and markers more than anything... it's very easy to get an absolutely smooth filling of color with those, no bits of white in there (though much harder to do smooth shading, but I dont mind that, it makes an interesting effect).

Of course the brush pens arent REALLY meant for that, they're made from the ground up for lettering, so... yeah. I was determined to start really using the pencils though, so today, pencils. But it always comes out looking childish.

You're right also, I cant produce a smooth curve (that isnt lettering-related) to save my life.

Also I cant draw a circle. Like, at all. If you've got any tips on how to do that, I'm all ears here. I often like to make "shape art" (dont know what else to call it, it's weird stuff, I've shown it on here before) but I cant make ACTUAL circles to put in those pieces.

Though, the other thing I find kinda frustrating with colored pencils is that it takes about 5 bazillion strokes to fill in any given area, and then even more to add any shading at all (which is something I dont actually know how to do, I just sorta wing it with that). My arm cant keep up with that for very long (though that is getting MUCH better over time as I keep doing this). Now, if I could get out of my stupid habit of always trying to finish these in a single sitting I could space the coloring aspect out over multiple days, but noooooo. I gotta do it all at once.

Ya know, if I can manage it I might try to indeed show off the other things I did recently, flower and the balloon + simple landscape one, I wouldnt mind some detailed thoughts on those. Usually when people look at my stuff (IRL I mean) it's either "oh gee that's nice" or "what in the funky heck even is that" and that's the extent of the feedback I get.

Overall I *really* wish I could get like, some formal instruction in person. What I really want to do is draw my lovely dogs, that's a personal goal, but I cant freaking do it just yet, dont know where to start (I also really like drawing plants too, but I can do that already, as long as there's not too many tiny details). Not to mention I wouldnt mind better techniques for making the things I already can make. Like, I know there's proper methods of getting facial features and such in place when drawing characters of any sort, and stuff for handling proportions and sizes, but nobody taught me that, so it's all "angles and distance" in my mind and making anything based on that is very, very slow (and very, very irritating, that part isnt any fun at all).

Also, I gotta say, you're really VERY observant to notice all the details you do. I never would have truly spotted the perspective bits when looking at any drawing. As it is, I think that stuff in this specific drawing is accidental, or at least "automatic but I dont know I'm doing it" sort of thing. Or a combination of both.

Oh, and here's a question: Is there anything that works for erasing when using colored pencils? Seriously all the eraser-type things I do have already do nothing on those, so making mistakes is super frustrating as I cant undo them.

Lastly, a big thanks to everyone here for the nice comments and such, it means a lot.

This stuff is fun to make, eh? I find myself wondering why I didnt get started with art like, WAY sooner, it's just a really enjoyable hobby (when my arm isnt flaring up).

Okay look at this:

View attachment 97491

I like Iris, as a person. I guess that makes it good art to me.

About the erratic coloring lines and stuff, it turns out I've no bloody idea how to do anything with colored pencils. I'm actually used to brush pens and markers more than anything... it's very easy to get an absolutely smooth filling of color with those, no bits of white in there (though much harder to do smooth shading, but I dont mind that, it makes an interesting effect).

Of course the brush pens arent REALLY meant for that, they're made from the ground up for lettering, so... yeah. I was determined to start really using the pencils though, so today, pencils. But it always comes out looking childish.

You're right also, I cant produce a smooth curve (that isnt lettering-related) to save my life.

Also I cant draw a circle. Like, at all. If you've got any tips on how to do that, I'm all ears here. I often like to make "shape art" (dont know what else to call it, it's weird stuff, I've shown it on here before) but I cant make ACTUAL circles to put in those pieces.

Though, the other thing I find kinda frustrating with colored pencils is that it takes about 5 bazillion strokes to fill in any given area, and then even more to add any shading at all (which is something I dont actually know how to do, I just sorta wing it with that). My arm cant keep up with that for very long (though that is getting MUCH better over time as I keep doing this). Now, if I could get out of my stupid habit of always trying to finish these in a single sitting I could space the coloring aspect out over multiple days, but noooooo. I gotta do it all at once.

Ya know, if I can manage it I might try to indeed show off the other things I did recently, flower and the balloon + simple landscape one, I wouldnt mind some detailed thoughts on those. Usually when people look at my stuff (IRL I mean) it's either "oh gee that's nice" or "what in the funky heck even is that" and that's the extent of the feedback I get.

Overall I *really* wish I could get like, some formal instruction in person. What I really want to do is draw my lovely dogs, that's a personal goal, but I cant freaking do it just yet, dont know where to start (I also really like drawing plants too, but I can do that already, as long as there's not too many tiny details). Not to mention I wouldnt mind better techniques for making the things I already can make. Like, I know there's proper methods of getting facial features and such in place when drawing characters of any sort, and stuff for handling proportions and sizes, but nobody taught me that, so it's all "angles and distance" in my mind and making anything based on that is very, very slow (and very, very irritating, that part isnt any fun at all).

Also, I gotta say, you're really VERY observant to notice all the details you do. I never would have truly spotted the perspective bits when looking at any drawing. As it is, I think that stuff in this specific drawing is accidental, or at least "automatic but I dont know I'm doing it" sort of thing. Or a combination of both.

Oh, and here's a question: Is there anything that works for erasing when using colored pencils? Seriously all the eraser-type things I do have already do nothing on those, so making mistakes is super frustrating as I cant undo them.

Lastly, a big thanks to everyone here for the nice comments and such, it means a lot.

This stuff is fun to make, eh? I find myself wondering why I didnt get started with art like, WAY sooner, it's just a really enjoyable hobby (when my arm isnt flaring up).
The way to learn how to better use your hands is by practice. There are formal exercices like drawing lines, curves and circles, but those are boring like hell.

So you will get better by practice. About the eraser stuff, i firstly do a scheck with carbon pencil (so I can erase it in case of need). With very little pressure. When I am happy with the forms, I use the color on it. And then just colour.

To learn how to shadow carbon works better, because you can extend Shadows with your fingers.

And for anatomy and stuff there are thousands of youtube channels.

One thing you can do is to copy from a picture, so you get practice. That way you dont need to figure out the proportions. Once you have copied 20 pictures of your dogs, your brain will figure it out by itself.

You can also do it the rigth way, learning anatomy, carbon, bla bla bla. But I like to mix the formal learning with just trying.

Hugs.

This is very evocative, thanks for showing us. I like the colours you've used and she's very well drawn, awesome. You seem to be pretty great at art already!

I am almost five and a half years into using alcohol markers and I still don’t get blending.. using color pencils over alcohol markers helps me a lot.

Love doing color pencil drawings. They even have a pencil that is a blur pencil which l bought. You run above your pencil colors, and it blends in the lines. I have one pencil book that l bought used and l started with that. However, l have zero talent in doing faces as you are obviously very good at this. I just do flowers and l did a dog portrait for my mom when her dog went to pasture. Great job Sophie. I like the detail of the eyes and the ears. I enjoy trying to decide what they are thinking about. Seems like they feel hopeful, and it may change to joy.

Same tbh, although I've procrastinated on it a lot and sometimes run dry on inspiration tbh. Lacking that hugely.

New Threads

Top Bottom