• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My art teacher doesn't understand Free Ware Programs!!!

AspiePie

My art teacher thinks that such programs are inferior to Adobe and other big name programs and believes all such programs contain viruses?

Some people will sadly believe that "nothing good in this world is ever free".
You, me and many others will probably beg to differ (I use VLC Media Player instead of Windows Media Player and Open Office as I don't have Microsoft Office among other things) but unfortunately some people won't shift their opinions.

Adobe photoshop is one of the reasons I refuse to take classes in digital art. Hell, it's bad enough being in Liberal Arts with all the goddamn MS Office. And of course the computers in the library have to have either windows on them, or freaking mac OS. Needless to say, they are all terribly slow.

Oh i totally understand this. I had a computer teacher back in high school say "make sure all of you save often when using audacity because its open source so it crashes a lot." I felt very aggrevated after hearing that, for months.....and i still am... she clearly had no clue what open source even is. It was clear to me that she was either using an unstable version or it was due to the shity computers, because i used the software all the time on my linux computer with no issue. Luckily i didnt have to take any classes that forced the use of ms office, i was able to use google docs instead. But often times they would switch internet filters so than it would block google docs. Than i would use ms office there and libreoffice at home. I had to use all the adobe programs in computer class though. I hated it. I don't understand why they teach how to use software in computer classes because it just changes all the time anyways. They should have taught programming, trouble shooting and computer repair. Luckily i taught myself troubleshooting and hardware repair and very small amount of programming.

My art teacher thinks that such programs are inferior to Adobe and other big name programs and believes all such programs contain viruses?
If it was me there is a good chance i would have gotten in an argument about it. My computer teacher in high school marked a test question wrong because i wrote router down under the list of an example of an "access point" and i went to another teacher who knew more than her and I was like hay don't you agree a router is an access point and he said oh ya definitely.

Some things never change. Reminds me of tech school (website and graphic design) back in the 90s. In such an instance it might be best to "read between the lines" of what your instructor is probably really saying.

1. That the school is exclusively and contractually obligated to vendors like Adobe and Micro$oft.

2. For general security purposes they don't want anyone using freeware or anything else downloaded from the Internet to be used on their network. That they simply don't want the exposure whether or not the software is malware/virus free.

We could all argue the obvious merits of open source...but if a school or employer is contractually obligated with proprietary software, that pretty much preempts such a discussion by design.

It wouldn't surprise me if his instructor had GIMP and Inkscape on his hard drive at home. But at school, they're officially "married" to Microsoft and Adobe. Propaganda isn't limited to the public sector. ;)

Last edited:
Than i would use ms office there and libreoffice at home.
What I hate the most about MS is that when I try to save in that format using Libre Office, it deletes my indentation. But I've noticed if you go through and put tab characters in all the appropriate places it will save them. Of course I have not tried it with hanging indent; I don't know if you'll have to add page breaks as well, but if so then that should be the very last thing you edit.

Maybe the problem is in the definition of free? From Gnu.org:
“Free software” means software that respects users' freedom and community. Roughly, it means that the users have the freedom to run, copy, distribute, study, change and improve the software. Thus, “free software” is a matter of liberty, not price. To understand the concept, you should think of “free” as in “free speech,” not as in “free beer”. We sometimes call it “libre software” to show we do not mean it is gratis.

I believe in using the best tool for the job. Sometimes that's free, sometimes not. And yes, I am careful around 'free' products as some, but certainly not all, come with a payload.
Even 'paid for' software is not immune from problems. I forget the details, but there was a case a few years back of a lot of commercial programs using a compromised library. The opensource guys tend to be much faster at identifying, acknowledging and fixing such things.
I haven't kept up with such things, but it used to be that in some areas The GIMP was superior to Photoshop, and OpenOffice was more compatible with MS Word than Word was between different versions. Even now, I'm getting files from someone with a Mac, and the file is messed up. And on the topic of constantly saving - it was on Word I learnt to save constantly!

Last edited:
What I hate the most about MS is that when I try to save in that format using Libre Office, it deletes my indentation. But I've noticed if you go through and put tab characters in all the appropriate places it will save them. Of course I have not tried it with hanging indent; I don't know if you'll have to add page breaks as well, but if so then that should be the very last thing you edit.
Ya i had formatting issues when transferring back and forth as well. Thats why i avoided using ms office and if i did i would type a draft of what i wanted and than input it in my main document at home or i would make notecards or something. It was an issue with the internet filter every other year i think.

Some things never change. Reminds me of tech school (website and graphic design) back in the 90s. In such an instance it might be best to "read between the lines" of what your instructor is probably really saying.

1. That the school is exclusively and contractually obligated to vendors like Adobe and Micro$oft.

2. For general security purposes they don't want anyone using freeware or anything else downloaded from the Internet to be used on their network. That they simply don't want the exposure whether or not the software is malware/virus free.

We could all argue the obvious merits of open source...but if a school or employer is contractually obligated with proprietary software, that pretty much preempts such a discussion by design.

It wouldn't surprise me if his instructor had GIMP and Inkscape on his hard drive at home. But at school, they're officially "married" to Microsoft and Adobe. Propaganda isn't limited to the public sector. ;)
No the art teacher actually thinks this... We are not contracted by any big corps yet?

No the art teacher actually thinks this... We are not contracted by any big corps yet?

It could also be something even simpler. That your instructor just doesn't want to bother with any other application other than Photoshop. After all, a full version of Photoshop has more than a steep learning curve, apart from being generally recognized as an "industry standard" bitmap application.

Nothing remarkable about some teachers who think and function more like bureaucrats. Especially when you factor in their compensation and budget. That they aren't paid enough to warrant deviating from the basic lesson or their primary resources. Can't blame them for that, and I wouldn't expect them to honestly explain such considerations even to adult students.

Though I can still understand any school downplaying the significance of freeware for the obvious security concerns. A "zero tolerance" policy where they just don't want to deal with the potential exposure at all regardless of freeware considerations.

Last edited:
They are an art teacher, not a computer programmer.

I suppose that depends on exactly what the OP meant by "art teacher". But in this day and age I'd think most anyone teaching art and as a computer user would be somewhat aware of Photoshop's prominence in commercial art.

In tech school my "art teacher" taught both bitmap and vector graphic design. Had to go to another class and instructor for scripting languages and server administration.

Strange to consider what drafting must be like in high schools these days. When I took it there was no such thing as a CAD program, let alone personal computers- or even calculators!

Last edited:
GIMP is ok but I believe it isn't as good as Photoshop. I'm currently using PS Creative Cloud with Lightroom. :D

New Threads

Top Bottom