• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Musical artists I can't stand.

Hmmm, Beatles. I think that they aren't as good as their hype makes them out to be, and their earlier albums have catchy melodies which appealed to the mainly teenage audience at the time but that's just about all they have going for them. Then they started to get a lot more creative and innovative, and from about 1966 onwards became a lot more interesting. For me, the album that really stands out is Magical Mystery Tour. After that, they slumped again. The others - Abbey Road for example are good, but not that good, if you know what I mean. What cannot be denied is that their impact on the music scene was - and still is - enormous.

Music or artists I don't like? I'm not one of those who says that they like all music, and when people do say that and I play them some of my music, they usually don't like it, so I don't believe people who tell me that. I have genres that I don't like, namely rap, soul, hip hop, house/trance and R&B. I don't like waily voices male or female, I don't like Whitney Housten and Tina Turner (their music - just not for me).

I'm not seeing the value in taking delight in 'hating' particular
styles of music. Unless it's the simple thought that somehow
by hating something, it proves you're superior to it.

The artist that came to mind for me as soon as I saw this thread was Motley Crue. I cannot stand the way Vince Neil sings, and he's only gotten worse over time. There's a clip floating around of a live show they did a few years ago, and his already wretched singing voice is just laughable. I actually listened to the one Crue album that didn't have him on it, and while it's not a great album, John Corabi blows Vince out of the water.
I actually like Motley Crue... at least on their first two albums and what I've heard of Dr. Feelgood. I definitely agree that Vince's voice is bad now, but I liked it at the beginning, he's like a more tolerable Geddy Lee.

I don't think there's any music I hate. I taught a student for years who was really getting into various kinds of metal. I don't remember the names of many of the sub-genres but they were intense and disturbing. That might be the sort of music I'd least like to listen to.

If I don't like it, I don't listen.
The two main genres I simply can't stand to listen to are rap and country.
Especially the older country. Like Grand Ole' Opry stuff.
The whiney steel guitars and vocal accents all sound the same. Yee-haw!
Rap all sounds the same to me.
Ten minutes of either one drives me up the wall.

I'm super picky about music. I very rarely like an entire album. I'm way more prone to just pick random songs by random people that sound good to me. I don't like the vast majority of rap I've heard, the subjects are all the same and I'm not a fan of profanity just for the sake of filling space. Not a fan of country or classic rock at all. And I find most women's voices to be horrible. The one exception to that is Vas Kallas. I tend to listen to more metal-ish type stuff, although I'll occasionally whip out some electronica or instrumental. My heart will always be sad over the loss of Agalloch.

I’ve always hated the Beastie Boys. They aren’t “talented” or “pioneers” like people claim they were. Their songs are garbage, their music videos are garbage, and they aren’t “rapping” but rather just screaming without absolutely no rhythm at all! They aren’t pioneers of anything! Blondie is the true pioneer of hip hop and rock music as their song Rapture was the very first song to hit number one on the pop charts which is also the first white person who was rapping to claim the spot, the video was one of the first to be shown on MTV the very first day it went on air, the first rap video ever shown on the channel, Debbie Harry was the first White person and woman ever to be shown rapping on a song on MTV, and the song built the bridge between hip hop and rock music. Not the f-ing stupid screaming boys! They don’t deserve any of that credit because they don’t deserve it. Debbie Harry and Blondie’s contribution to hip hop is constantly bashed by people and ignored but they are more important than the Beastie Boys ever will be. Sorry not sorry.

Blondie is the true pioneer of hip hop and rock music as their song Rapture was the very first song to hit number one on the pop charts which is also the first white person who was rapping to claim the spot, the video was one of the first to be shown on MTV the very first day it went on air, the first rap video ever shown on the channel, Debbie Harry was the first White person and woman ever to be shown rapping on a song on MTV, and the song built the bridge between hip hop and rock music. Not the f-ing stupid screaming boys! They don’t deserve any of that credit because they don’t deserve it. Debbie Harry and Blondie’s contribution to hip hop is constantly bashed by people and ignored but they are more important than the Beastie Boys ever will be. Sorry not sorry.

What about The Clash? "Magnificent Seven" came out before "Rapture."

Also, influence is influence, whether you like it or not. I don't enjoy a lot of Elvis, but I'd never deny his position in popular music. I just prefer the expression of other people.

What about The Clash? "Magnificent Seven" came out before "Rapture."

Also, influence is influence, whether you like it or not. I don't enjoy a lot of Elvis, but I'd never deny his position in popular music. I just prefer the expression of other people.
Didn’t hit number one on the US charts. Blondie also released Rapture in January 1981. The Clash released Magnificent Seven in April that year. Blondie still did it first. And if you go by album release dates, Blondie still beat the Clash by a month.

Didn’t hit number one on the US charts. Blondie also released Rapture in January 1981. The Clash released Magnificent Seven in April that year. Blondie still did it first. And if you go by album release dates, Blondie still beat the Clash by a month.

Looking closer, The Blondie album came out a few weeks before The Clash one. So you are right, they had the first release.

But, I don't get equating chart success with influence. There are plenty of huge one hit wonders that had little or no influence on popular music.

Hmmm, Beatles. I think that they aren't as good as their hype makes them out to be, and their earlier albums have catchy melodies which appealed to the mainly teenage audience at the time but that's just about all they have going for them. Then they started to get a lot more creative and innovative, and from about 1966 onwards became a lot more interesting. For me, the album that really stands out is Magical Mystery Tour. After that, they slumped again. The others - Abbey Road for example are good, but not that good, if you know what I mean. What cannot be denied is that their impact on the music scene was - and still is - enormous.

This was satisfying.

Looking closer, The Blondie album came out a few weeks before The Clash one. So you are right, they had the first release.

But, I don't get equating chart success with influence. There are plenty of huge one hit wonders that had little or no influence on popular music.
Blondie had several huge hits and four number one songs in less than ten years and recorded several genres of music during that time from punk to disco to new wave to reggae to hip hop. Blondie had a huge influence on music and without them hip hop and rap in general wouldn’t have become what it is today or even taken seriously as a form of spoken word art form. Hip hop was treated as some fad until Rapture came out.

I dislike much music written after the end of the Baroque era, and this is probably due to my sesnitive ears and preferences because of my autism. I find pop music to be superficial and I just don't like how it sounds. Romantic Era classical music is too...superfluous. 2oth century/atonal music I have many unkind thoughts about which I shan't repeat here.

New Threads

Top Bottom