• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Multiple Obsessions/Hobbies/Interests

Crime novels and films fictional
Jazz Modern
Modern Art
Psychology
Understanding myself
Words.... expressive language
Fashion and fashion design/designers
Hair...... products, styles
Cooking
Balance...... A sence of order and regularity
Exercise....... weight training, cycling,pilates,running
Beauty treatments.

You don't seem that decrepit to me!

I have been into Chemistry since I was a kid. I just built a home lab. I won't be blowing stuff up like when I was a kid though....
LOL! I blew things up. Whether it was manufacturing black powder and black powder guns or electrolyzing water into oxygen and hydrogen and then igniting them and losing my eyebrows.

My interests have stayed pretty constant since my childhood to being a decrepit old man.

You do not seem that old to me.

Like you, my interests have stayed the same. My main interest is and always has been machinery. This is what I have done for a living for over 50 years.

LOL! I blew things up. Whether it was manufacturing black powder and black powder guns or electrolyzing water into oxygen and hydrogen and then igniting them and losing my eyebrows.

Oh man! I started off with those things... then I discovered a local chemical supply store that would sell anything to anybody (this was the early 80's). So I made gun cotton (nitrated cotton socks), mercury fulminate and lead azide... oh and ammonium nitrate prills (how the heck am I still alive? I am sure in an infinite number of universes in the multiverse, I am not).

The pièce de résistance was... they sold us 1 liter of butyric acid. Honestly... these guys knew nothing of chemistry. I got sick of being called "tard" and being pushed into lockers by the jocks at school. So many Chevy Novas ended up too stinky to drive and the football players stunk so badly, they had to cancel the game. One of them was taken to the ER because he smelled so bad.

Anyway... sodium azide did wonders on windshields and body panels. They left me alone after that. Everyone knew it was me and my friend. After an overdose of butyric acid in the nose... one really cannot smell anything. Not the same for everyone around me.

Oh... and eyebrows... who needs 'em? Who needs hands that are not yellow from acid burns? Don't even get me started on what I used to do to computers. I was a bad spawn!

I think I would have ended up in GITMO if I had been a teen post 9/11.

Last edited:
You do not seem that old to me.

Like you, my interests have stayed the same. My main interest is and always has been machinery. This is what I have done for a living for over 50 years.
Ohhhh sooooo cool! I love mechanical things. What kind of machines do you work on? I have old tractors that I love working on :) Especially my track crawler (IH340) from the late 50's.

Crime novels and films fictional
Jazz Modern
Modern Art
Psychology
Understanding myself
Words.... expressive language
Fashion and fashion design/designers
Hair...... products, styles
Cooking
Balance...... A sence of order and regularity
Exercise....... weight training, cycling,pilates,running
Beauty treatments.
Do you have a favorite Jazz musician? I was always a bit envious of women with fashion. Men have such boring clothing choices!

What do you like cooking most?

I'm actually focused primarily on one or two main interests, you might almost say one

That being my photography, any other interests I do have tend to somehow funnel back into the photography... With my main themes within my photography being urban/street photography, classic cars and transportation themes, and the Canadian prairies, plus I enjoy industrial/gritty themes... Even (see previous post) my interest in collecting vintage photos tends to funnel into the photography that I do...

... I was always a bit envious of women with fashion. Men have such boring clothing choices! ...

Just get a sharp looking fedora or flat cap, and a nice coat

I live in a land of winter, and in winter only wear a proper coat, not a ski jacket or parka

And on cold days prefer a nice Russian wool hat over a toque

And have a decent sized collection of brimmed hats (from cowboy hat to fedora), you'll never catch me wearing a ball cap!

You don't seem that decrepit to me!

I have been into Chemistry since I was a kid. I just built a home lab. I won't be blowing stuff up like when I was a kid though....
My abiding obsessions... An obsession is something that grabs ahold of you and won't let go. After a while, you continue to do (or think about doing) something far beyond its recreational value and into a range where it interferes with the rest of your life. Sort of like an addiction but not the same mechanism.

I've run out of what I'd consider obsessions. Some slowly faded with age and experience. Some had an initial period of extremely high intensity and then dropped to long-term low-level hobbies. I burned out of photography when I tried to do it professionally. Nudity changed from obsession to hobby when it became practical, safe, and legal. Still others, like science, got beaten out of me by repeated failure. Now it's just purely recreational and nothing serious.

I have a few hobbies.

Science and related subjects.
Science fiction
Running around naked.
Singing
Acting
Photography
Anime
Writing
Hiking/Backpacking/Camping
Off-road travel

And now I've run out of active hobbies. There were others that stayed with me for decades but have now fallen by the wayside.

There were others that stayed with me for decades but have now fallen by the wayside.
I think I know what you mean. I am not active on everything on my previous list, but when I encounter new "information" that connects to an old hobby, I add it to "my understanding" of it where it best fits.

Nah. Come to think of it, really dont see much of that theme at conventions actually. Considering the popularity of the concept, it seems like an obvious one.

Your Right! I don't see much cosplay at Sci-Fi/Fantasy cons anymore. But go to an anime con and you'll see tons of it. I think the reason why you don't see much cosplay at Sci-Fi/Fantasy cons is because they all moved to Anime ones.

Oh man! I started off with those things... then I discovered a local chemical supply store that would sell anything to anybody (this was the early 80's). So I made gun cotton (nitrated cotton socks), mercury fulminate and lead azide... oh and ammonium nitrate prills (how the heck am I still alive? I am sure in an infinite number of universes in the multiverse, I am not).

It's a miracle that I'm still alive for all the dumb stuff I did as a kid. Not only was I into rogue chemistry. But I also was into playing with high voltage as well as doing some really crazy acrobatic stunts up in the trees.

The pièce de résistance was... they sold us 1 liter of butyric acid. Honestly... these guys knew nothing of chemistry. I got sick of being called "tard" and being pushed into lockers by the jocks at school. So many Chevy Novas ended up too stinky to drive and the football players stunk so badly, they had to cancel the game. One of them was taken to the ER because he smelled so bad.

AHHH! Getting revenge on your enemies. Who hasn't try that at sometime in their life. Never thought of using butyric acid for a stink agent. But I did try to milk a skunk using a sand blasting box at one time. When I had that skunk in the box. I must have harassed and teased that skunk for over 20 minutes before he finally sprayed. After he sprayed. I released him and tried to scrape up all the skunk's stink oil and put it into a vial. It was a lot of work just to be able to stink up one car and I never did that again. I think my nose got more offended by this then my enemies ever did. Hey! live and learn.

Anyway... sodium azide did wonders on windshields and body panels. They left me alone after that. Everyone knew it was me and my friend.

I'm surprised that those kids didn't take you out in the back and beat the crap out of you for doing that. When I did my revenge attacks. I always made sure that they never knew who did it and tried to make it look like it was bad karma.

Oh... and eyebrows... who needs 'em? Who needs hands that are not yellow from acid burns? Don't even get me started on what I used to do to computers. I was a bad spawn!

Ya! loss my facial hair several time from lighting the propane BBQ.

I think I would have ended up in GITMO if I had been a teen post 9/11.

Ya! mess with explosives today and you will be branded as a terrorist.

I have special interest in lores. I came on here to make a thread about it actually. i have been spending the last few weeks researching various lore. I like when things have explicit detail and history. sure i like mystery, but i also like answers. when movies have writers or directors who didnt think of the answers to the questions the fans had before the movie came out, it makes me think the the whole movie itself is like... less real made with a weaker purpose?

i also like linguistics, but really etymology. i dont know more than english but i can write enough spanish to fool someone for maybe a week haha.

I like Psychology

video games.particularly rpg

honestly. i am very intersted in all my hobbies, which is why i am so guarded when people ask me to try something or watch somethign new, because i know i will become obsessed and thats a lot of work

I have special interest in lores. I came on here to make a thread about it actually. i have been spending the last few weeks researching various lore. I like when things have explicit detail and history. sure i like mystery, but i also like answers. when movies have writers or directors who didnt think of the answers to the questions the fans had before the movie came out, it makes me think the the whole movie itself is like... less real made with a weaker purpose?

i also like linguistics, but really etymology. i dont know more than english but i can write enough spanish to fool someone for maybe a week haha.

I like Psychology

video games.particularly rpg

honestly. i am very intersted in all my hobbies, which is why i am so guarded when people ask me to try something or watch somethign new, because i know i will become obsessed and thats a lot of work

Haha... I was just talking with a coworker (who is very aspie) about his hobby (all the aspies at work love to talk about their hobbies, of course!). He is making soap... the gears started going in my head... MUST....NOT...GET...ANOTHER...HOBBY. So I told him I would synthesize esters (right now, I am way focused on organic chemistry) for his soap making. Problem solved! :)

For the lores interest, have you read any Joseph Campbell? He really has interesting ideas about universal archetypes in myth and lore.

It's a miracle that I'm still alive for all the dumb stuff I did as a kid. Not only was I into rogue chemistry. But I also was into playing with high voltage as well as doing some really crazy acrobatic stunts up in the trees.

AHHH! Getting revenge on your enemies. Who hasn't try that at sometime in their life. Never thought of using butyric acid for a stink agent. But I did try to milk a skunk using a sand blasting box at one time. When I had that skunk in the box. I must have harassed and teased that skunk for over 20 minutes before he finally sprayed. After he sprayed. I released him and tried to scrape up all the skunk's stink oil and put it into a vial. It was a lot of work just to be able to stink up one car and I never did that again. I think my nose got more offended by this then my enemies ever did. Hey! live and learn.

I'm surprised that those kids didn't take you out in the back and beat the crap out of you for doing that. When I did my revenge attacks. I always made sure that they never knew who did it and tried to make it look like it was bad karma.

Ya! loss my facial hair several time from lighting the propane BBQ.

Ya! mess with explosives today and you will be branded as a terrorist.
Haha... if we ever met in RL... we would probably get into a heck of a lot of trouble! I got sprayed by a skunk this summer... What an unpleasant experience! Revenge is a dish best served stinky!

My most dangerous acrobatics were when I decided it would be cool to ride a skateboard on a skateboard down a steep hill by my house... pretty dumb for a "smart kid".

My abiding obsessions... An obsession is something that grabs ahold of you and won't let go. After a while, you continue to do (or think about doing) something far beyond its recreational value and into a range where it interferes with the rest of your life. Sort of like an addiction but not the same mechanism.

I've run out of what I'd consider obsessions. Some slowly faded with age and experience. Some had an initial period of extremely high intensity and then dropped to long-term low-level hobbies. I burned out of photography when I tried to do it professionally. Nudity changed from obsession to hobby when it became practical, safe, and legal. Still others, like science, got beaten out of me by repeated failure. Now it's just purely recreational and nothing serious.

I have a few hobbies.

Science and related subjects.
Science fiction
Running around naked.
Singing
Acting
Photography
Anime
Writing
Hiking/Backpacking/Camping
Off-road travel

And now I've run out of active hobbies. There were others that stayed with me for decades but have now fallen by the wayside.
Yep... running around naked is (before covid) one of my hobbies as well. We have a really nice wellness center here in PDX (actually 2) that I go to for relaxation.

I recently started adding bushcraft on to my list.

Haha... I was just talking with a coworker (who is very aspie) about his hobby (all the aspies at work love to talk about their hobbies, of course!). He is making soap... the gears started going in my head... MUST....NOT...GET...ANOTHER...HOBBY. So I told him I would synthesize esters (right now, I am way focused on organic chemistry) for his soap making. Problem solved! :)

For the lores interest, have you read any Joseph Campbell? He really has interesting ideas about universal archetypes in myth and lore.
/googles joseph campbell
/runs away from the plethora of books

I have not. right now I am on Alien lore. I feel that way about soaps and stuff. for a short while i almost really got into lotions and then i remembered, you cant just spread yourself so thin

while browsing the internet, i have come across terrariums, and i am fighting the urge to make my own.

Just get a sharp looking fedora or flat cap, and a nice coat

I live in a land of winter, and in winter only wear a proper coat, not a ski jacket or parka

And on cold days prefer a nice Russian wool hat over a toque

And have a decent sized collection of brimmed hats (from cowboy hat to fedora), you'll never catch me wearing a ball cap!
I went through a sartorial phase about 12 years ago. I simply cannot pull off a hat! (my head is too big)

It was good that I worked at Nike which owned Cole Haan at the time. I got steep discounts on some very nice Italian shoes.

New Threads

Top Bottom