• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Multiple Obsessions/Hobbies/Interests

Ursus Chainus

V.I.P Member
So...

One thing that is said about us people on the spectrum is that we often have an abiding obsession.

What about us that have so many that we cannot remember them all?

Some of mine are:
Languages/Linguistics
Philosophy
Eastern Religions
Psychedelic Drugs
Sexuality
Chemistry (Organic synthesis)
Making things (Welding, Resin Casting... and more)
Art
Coding
Cooking
Cocktails
Ice
Animals
Justice
Politics
Astronomy
Functional Cognitive Typology
ANY Science
Photography... and on and on

Does anyone here cycle through many obsessions? Do you have one? Do you have a few?

My interests have stayed pretty constant since my childhood to being a decrepit old man.

You don't seem that decrepit to me!

I have been into Chemistry since I was a kid. I just built a home lab. I won't be blowing stuff up like when I was a kid though....

That reminds of the explosion we had in homeschooling.

Piano, Ballet, Birds, Languages, computer languages, computers, gaming, film noir, creature features, psychology, psychology journals, cooking anything Asian, Russian, Italien, Vegetarian, Macrobiotic, Homeopathic, stain glass, pencil drawing, Picasso, French Painters, Famous Authors, sex studies, Ted talks, strange cults in America, needlepoint, crochet, belly dancing, politics. Comedy writing, homelessness in America.
Lately l have been learning about philosophy and the great thinkers and Yiddish singers and music.

Video games

board games

twisty puzzles

making art of various sorts

drones

animals

books, particularly of the horror/suspense sort, also delving a bit into crime/legal thrillers.

anime, manga

cosplay

so very much Youtube

virtual reality

Uhhhhh.... I think that's all of them? Maybe?

I have some interested, but get obsessed with each one individually. So, I can get obsessed with a drama and then, can get obsessed with cross stitching, or even can get obsessed with a certain colour and get obsessed with hating a certain colour.

I am obsessed with wearing different colours each day, which can be exhausting.

History of the English Civil war, medieval history, archaeology, ancient history, therapy, self development, group dynamics, philosophy, geology, coasts, wild flowers, history of the industrial revolution, films, anime, patchwork, London, knitting, collage, poetry, literature, children's books, writing, counselling, cycling, walking, word games, gardening, cooking, yeah and many more specific for short periods.

In another thread, I listed 26 different leisurely interests,* but in reality many of these interests are accessory to my main ones. From that perspective, I would say that I have about eight interest clusters:
  • Math & Logic,
  • Drafting,
  • The Human Figure (and other eye candy),
  • Linguistics,
  • Music (choral background [baritone], dabble in instruments + I'd like to try karaoke, someday)
  • Bicycling,
  • Aerodynamic Toys (I'd like to try disc golf, someday) and
  • Twice Exceptionality (in an NT world)
I have always had interests in all of these areas as long as I can remember.

*I am devoted to my relationships, too, but they are not arbitrary.

In another thread, I listed 26 different leisurely interests,* but in reality many of these interests are accessory to my main ones. From that perspective, I would say that I have about eight interest clusters:
  • Math & Logic,
  • Drafting,
  • The Human Figure (and other eye candy),
  • Linguistics,
  • Music (choral background [baritone], dabble in instruments + I'd like to try karaoke, someday)
  • Bicycling,
  • Aerodynamic Toys (I'd like to try disc golf, someday) and
  • Twice Exceptionality (in an NT world)
I have always had interests in all of these areas as long as I can remember.

*I am devoted to my relationships, too, but they are not arbitrary.

Linguistics! Lovely :) I have a degree in that one. Languages are amazing.... And one of my professors always said that Music and Linguistics always seem to go hand in hand. That is why linguistic parties always had lots of musicians. I would love to learn music.

Funny note... I graduated from the University of Oregon which has a functional approach to linguistics as opposed to the Chomsky approach. This lead to me thinking about biology and functionality, which eventually led to my theories on Functional Cognitive Types.

The Human figure :D yes indeed

I am extremely "Twice Exceptional". This is why I have a hard time communicating because the biggest picture always demands precise words... often ones that have very precise definitions and are not confusing.

History of the English Civil war, medieval history, archaeology, ancient history, therapy, self development, group dynamics, philosophy, geology, coasts, wild flowers, history of the industrial revolution, films, anime, patchwork, London, knitting, collage, poetry, literature, children's books, writing, counselling, cycling, walking, word games, gardening, cooking, yeah and many more specific for short periods.

Wonderful.. I share many of these too. I live in Oregon that has amazing geology. The Missoula floods really made for an interesting landscape and great wines. Look up Nick Zentner on youtube :) My wife calls him an adorable big geek, lol. I am sure he is an aspie. He is funny as heck!

I have some interested, but get obsessed with each one individually. So, I can get obsessed with a drama and then, can get obsessed with cross stitching, or even can get obsessed with a certain colour and get obsessed with hating a certain colour.

I am obsessed with wearing different colours each day, which can be exhausting.
My mother used to have a different color of hair every week when I was a baby... lol

Video games

board games

twisty puzzles

making art of various sorts

drones

animals

books, particularly of the horror/suspense sort, also delving a bit into crime/legal thrillers.

anime, manga

cosplay

so very much Youtube

virtual reality

Uhhhhh.... I think that's all of them? Maybe?
Cosplay is really cool. I love the creativity. Have you done any steampunk?

That reminds of the explosion we had in homeschooling.

Piano, Ballet, Birds, Languages, computer languages, computers, gaming, film noir, creature features, psychology, psychology journals, cooking anything Asian, Russian, Italien, Vegetarian, Macrobiotic, Homeopathic, stain glass, pencil drawing, Picasso, French Painters, Famous Authors, sex studies, Ted talks, strange cults in America, needlepoint, crochet, belly dancing, politics. Comedy writing, homelessness in America.
Lately l have been learning about philosophy and the great thinkers and Yiddish singers and music.
Man... meeting in RL, we would have soooo much to talk about, lol!

I am coding today in C# for work... on Robots (Pharmacy automation). I wanted to learn Russian in the 6th grade so I could defect to the CCCP ;)

New Threads

Top Bottom