• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Moving To The Next Version of XenForo

Ah, cracked it. It only displays the popup and does not load anything else. When you click on the user ID on the popup then it goes to the profile page itself. The old popup version had a link to the profile page.

Something else to adjust to is the alerts system. Before I would hover the cursor over the alert 'bell' to display the alerts. Now I have to click on it.

I think everyone is going to have a few days of adjusting to the different way the new version 'behaves'.

Thank you for your efforts Satal.
Thanks, @maycontainthunder, I've just spent a little bit of time looking into whether this is an option that I'm able to change as I also found it useful as then I could see a notification without having to leave the page, however, it looks like this is a decision that the XenForo developers made consciously. There was briefly an addon to bring the functionality back but it has now been removed.

BTW on an unrelated note, I do like the middle line of your signature and I'm tempted to add it myself.

Thanks, @maycontainthunder, I've just spent a little bit of time looking into whether this is an option that I'm able to change as I also found it useful as then I could see a notification without having to leave the page, however, it looks like this is a decision that the XenForo developers made consciously. There was briefly an addon to bring the functionality back but it has now been removed.

BTW on an unrelated note, I do like the middle line of your signature and I'm tempted to add it myself.
I didn't want to come across as being rude when I can't respond to someone. We all have our little issues with communication so I thought I'd better make sure people knew of mine. If you want to copy part of my signature, go right ahead.

BTW, Dog V4 sends you a waggy hug.

I definitely preferred the square avatars to the new round ones.

Is there any way to remove the CHAT bar from the bottom of the page?

Last edited:
First observation: In using Linux Mint, I see yet another improvement in the overall quality of font rendering, for both large and even the smallest fonts. Presently I continue to default to the "Ubuntu" typeface in Linux Mint. Looks so much better compared to some months back, though I suspect this may also involve improvements with Firefox. In any case, it's all good!

Second observation: I see a lot of bandwidth recovered in reducing avatars from squares to circles, as well as making a number of clickable symbols monochrome rather than color. I'm hoping this may be an improvement in how the forum renders for mobile users.

More bandwidth recovered = faster overall performance

Using Firefox and occasionally changing to their dark mode seems a little more improved compared to the previous forum.

As far as general navigation goes, it has a minor learning curve, but I suspect in just a few days we'll all be getting around like we did before.

Last edited:
I have a list of complaints as long as a bad year! But I know most of it is because I don't like change. :)
So I won't complain and just give it some time instead. Ease into it.

:confused::confused::confused:. I know I'll just have to get used to it. :confused::confused::confused:. It's sad how much changes even as insignificant as this affect me. I'm trying not to think about it.

I post (smiley) GIFs that are hosted in my folders here.
They now have the text "full" in their place.
When I try to re-paste them from their folder, it says that the image is unavailable.

I know that improving things is important with a lot of things and I'm sure this forum is no exception. I could imagine a forum focused on computers, graphic design, etc changing frequently and the members of said forum enjoying frequent changes because it's part of what they'd be interested in. I just hope that this forum doesn't have frequent layout and design changes. Yes it's something to get used to but if there were frequent layout and design changes on this site that can have a significant effect on many of us.

This site is like a safe place, a haven for us from "the world". It's a comforting and reliable place for us to seek support, friendship and solace from each other.

What I've said above is my nicest way of saying: Please don't make frequent changes like this on the site. Perhaps only autistic people can truly understand how upsetting changes in routine can be for many of us. I do appreciate the advance notice given. It would be even more upsetting if no notice was given at all.

I appreciate this site immensely and thank everyone involved for keeping it active.

I can't find those smileys we had before, so I'm guessing we lost those in the update? That's a shame, I liked those but if they are gone they are gone.

I know that improving things is important with a lot of things and I'm sure this forum is no exception. I could imagine a forum focused on computers, graphic design, etc changing frequently and the members of said forum enjoying frequent changes because it's part of what they'd be interested in. I just hope that this forum doesn't have frequent layout and design changes. Yes it's something to get used to but if there were frequent layout and design changes on this site that can have a significant effect on many of us.

This site is like a safe place, a haven for us from "the world". It's a comforting and reliable place for us to seek support, friendship and solace from each other.

What I've said above is my nicest way of saying: Please don't make frequent changes like this on the site. Perhaps only autistic people can truly understand how upsetting changes in routine can be for many of us. I do appreciate the advance notice given. It would be even more upsetting if no notice was given at all.

I appreciate this site immensely and thank everyone involved for keeping it active.
I don't plan or want to make any more changes like this in the future. Unfortunately, as the site hadn't been updated for several years, it was several significant updates behind and had multiple security vulnerabilities, I'm almost surprised, though pleased, that someone hadn't hacked it and ruined it for everyone.

Is there a way to turn off the "Chat" footer?
Is there any way to remove the CHAT bar from the bottom of the page?
I've removed it, if people want to use the Chat functionality they will have to go through the link in the navigation menu.

I can't find those smileys we had before, so I'm guessing we lost those in the update? That's a shame, I liked those but if they are gone they are gone.
Sorry :disappointed:

I don't plan or want to make any more changes like this in the future. Unfortunately, as the site hadn't been updated for several years, it was several significant updates behind and had multiple security vulnerabilities, I'm almost surprised, though pleased, that someone hadn't hacked it and ruined it for everyone.

I've removed it, if people want to use the Chat functionality they will have to go through the link in the navigation menu.

Sorry :disappointed:

It's ok, it happens. I just get used to things and overreact when they disappear.

Security vulnerabilities? This sounds like a pretty big problem, so we should all probably be happy about the update.

Something else I've found. In the 'New Profile Posts' section at the bottom of the forum main page if you click on the time that the post was made it takes you to that member's profile page.

Also, I lost about 100 Reaction points in the changeover. Were those missing "Likes" from profile posts & media?

New Threads

Top Bottom