• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

More sensitive to noise

You know, who gives a hoot if you are observed wearing earplugs. They alone aren't enough for me; must cover them, or earbuds playing brown noise or instrumental reggae, with a set of industrial earmuffs, as I can't afford a decent pair of noise cancelling headphones. You are maintaining your sanity and harming no one. Carry on.

I’ve become more sensitive to noise in the last 5 years (I believe hyper focusing and that May have tuned a lot of it out) since I started being more aware of my autism and how it affects me.

I have to wear a Bose or similar headset with noise isolating or cancellation.. otherwise I will get headaches or overwhelmed , taking a lot of time to recuperate. I had use a headset for gun ranges , but it put a lot of pressure on my head which I didn’t like.

I’ve also had Misophonia since my childhood and they are doing more studies which are showing connections between Autism and Misophonia (though more studies will need to be done to show conclusivity.)

5 years is my number as well. Not coincidentally, it marks the length of time I have been clean from a long-ass benzo addiction. And it is getting worse. Benzos likely wreaked all manner of havoc on my nervous system. Even though I am over 50, with some cog fog and a dad, likely also Aspie, who died of Alzheimer's, I'd go back on them in a minute if I could find a doctor who would trust me to use them responsibly. Jus sayin.

I am also very sensitive to sounds, but I have an advantage. I have a hearing birth defect (neurological). I have a custom hearing aid that uses earbuds (more powerful than traditional hearing aids). Since I have to wear them all the time, everyone is used to me wearing earbuds. Strangers think I'm just listening to music. Anyway, my advantage is that when I'm suffering from disturbing sounds I just turn it off but leave in the earbuds. Blissful dead silence. :)

My sensitivities tend to reflect high and very low frequency sounds, usually at higher volumes. Slow-idling vehicles driving by, neighbors' audio system subwoofers, or screaming toddlers in stores make life difficult at times.

Though tinnitus in my right ear has become the most noticeable and unwanted aspect of hearing in general. :(
I think I might have tinninus because ever since I got sensitive hearing, I get this high pitched noise ringing in my ear every now and then.

New Threads

Top Bottom