• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

More research conducted on female Asperger?s

Thanks, Gomendosi! I brewed myself a fine cup of coffee & listened to the entire thing. It was the 1st time I'd heard Atwood speak, believe it or not. It was interesting that he said that so many Parisians come to Montreal for treatment & support. Being here, it is easy to take for granted just how accessible many services are. For my own appointment, it took 1 2 min phone call to see the shrink for the referral, she saw me 4 days after I called. It really was a breeze.

She agrees with Atwood in that so many of us female Aspies hide in plain sight & our Aspie traits can get misunderstood as shyness & female persnickety-ness. So many women are on funny diets & practicing forms of dietary restriction for weight loss, 'cleansing & detoxing' & every other thing that being an extremely picky eater gets dismissed as well. This has both advantages & disadvantages. On the plus side, we stick out less & since we're seldom expected to be boisterous or overly extroverted, our social differences are less grating.

On the minus side (in my experience) there were times (more than I can enumerate) where I've wanted to push the STOP button on the world & just leap off BUT nobody knew. Since I'm not emotional by nature, thoughts that most people would've seen as disturbing or indicative of a crisis state were for me as normal as thinking, "I think I'll order a pizza." They are weighted equally to me but as a parent, I can see why that is problematic.

I like the description of unconventional mothers who teach their kid astronomy while the house is a mess. That is so me. Different priorities for sure. I think that is why I never connected with other moms.

New Threads

Top Bottom