• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Misophonia and Aspies?

Count me as a "have it." I have always attributed my outrage and mumbled voice over loud speaker (like at a drive through fast food restaurant or, in a shopping mall) to my love of and work with music. I have a keen ear, I have to for what I do so, I though that to be the cause of my outrage at muddled and muffled voices, people who cannot pronounce words correctly. (the kid that says "Wan in got some skagratti." instead of "Ran and got some spaghetti.") those thing anger me more than any other sounds.

I find many sounds annoying and, some painful but, not rage inducing except muddle, muffled and poor pronunciation. I know kids can't help it but, i want to wring their necks and demand the speak properly. I don't I walk away and allow my husband to hear them so that he can tell me what the child intended to say.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets irritated when someone mispronounces something. I also hate it when children make up words. But mispronouncing is probably worse. It's unbearable.

I have it too. I can not stand knocking, high pitch bell noises, chewing and when someone with a lot of saliva speaks into a microphone and you can hear the saliva move around and their tongue making nasty noises with the saliva. It makes me angry and might even make me anxious if I can't escape the situation. It feels like torture. As a kid, I was extremely annoyed at my father's breathing because it was so loud to me. I also have trouble with the noises of windblowers, drills and electrical saws but that's not as intense as the other things I mentioned.

I've got insane misophonia over mouth/chewing/eating noises. I've had to leave classes over it before.
I also have some noises that physically hurt my ears, like the edges of paper rubbing together or people creasing paper. Idk why I have paper sound issues.

chewing/slurping sounds from others just enrages me and I often have to move away or leave to keep from yelling at them. The sound of cats cleaning themselves is particularly bad. So glad I found this site!

I never heard of Misophania before and am surprised to read how many of you guys have this. I am not diagnosed yet but can relate a lot to this. I have the same with noisy eaters. My dad is one and I get constantly enraged. I can't stand snoring or the sound of my neighbors TV at night. Sometimes I got that angry that I wanted to go there and knock down his door at night to express my anger. I might have done that if I would not be that scared of him. I get startled, too, with sudden for me loud noises, like slammed doors or windows or the sound of our water heater in the office that no one notices except for myself.
Oh, and I have the same when my cat cleans herself. Usually, she does this at night lying next to me. I feel a bit bad though when I get annoyed by this. I turn around then or cuddle with her and she starts purring, which I like ;)

Last edited:
I never heard of Misophania before and am surprised to read how many of you guys have this. I am not diagnosed yet but can relate a lot to this. I have the same with noisy eaters. My dad is one and I get constantly enraged. I can't stand snoring or the sound of my neighbors TV at night. Sometimes I got that angry that I wanted to go there and knock down his door at night to express my anger. I might have done that if I would not be that scared of him. I get startled, too, with sudden for me loud noises, like slammed doors or windows or the sound of our water heater in the office that no one notices except for myself.
Oh, and I have the same when my cat cleans herself. Usually, she does this at night lying next to me. I feel a bit bad though when I get annoyed by this. I turn around then or cuddle with her and she starts purring, which I like ;)

Hi Ways, Yes I know exactly what you mean. I discovered misophonia (and this web site) quite by accident, although I have know about my aversion to certain sounds all my life. I always travel with ear plugs to try and mute any sounds that could annoy me at night. I avoid having dinner in the same room with anyone who chews loudly etc etc. Some web sites are beginning to offer soothing music or sounds to help me when I stressed out.

Hi Jim Lee, oh I completely understand. I was aware of reacting strong to specific sounds, too, but thought that's just me. Ear plugs are a good solution at night. They work well for me, but not always helping against the snoring problem. I can't avoid having dinner together with my dad but I pay attention to chose a place further away. I have not tried yet soothing sounds, but it sounds worth a try.

I am 100% certain I have misophonia. I have actually self-injured because of trigger sounds.
That being said, the severity of it seems to be directly related to how much time I spend with a person and how well I know them... It's like my brain is playing some kind of cruel joke; People to whom I am closest trigger me the most. I can't be in the same room with family members while they're eating. I will get physically ill if I try to force myself.

I can't stand when people stand near me and talk, because it sounds like they are shouting and I get irritable. I also react strongly to sudden, random loud sounds like a door shutting or rattling silverware.

For me, it is the sound of a baby crying, or children making that siren sound when they have reached their limit. I have come to realize it is my empathy at work, but it makes me absolutely verklempt.

Buzzing fluorescent lights, though, are even WORSE. Because you can't soothe them and make them shut up, I suppose.

I must say, I know it sounds weird, but I have a License to Weird, so what the hey. I have gotten much better about it when I make an effort to stay away from EMF, like using my cell phone on speaker and turning off the wifi at night. It might be that I actually detect such stuff and lowering my irritation load is helpful. After all, we notice all kinds of things NT's don't.

another service user at the autism drop-in centre I attend said I could have misophonia, (I told him I can't sleep in the same room as a ticking clock). I was in a library and the person sitting on a computer near me was rattling her bracelet on the desk while she was typing, I didn't like to say anything as she was an old lady (she was also coughing without covering her face). But that was very off-putting and made me very stressed. Universities, colleges etc. should take autism and misophonia into account.

Use earplugs or headphones.
my friend who told me about this said he can't wear earphones as it brings on an infection, plus some folks can't cope with the sensation of them, personally I don't think someone should have to wear earphones, I think people should be able to relax in a library.

how should explain to a neurotypical that id rather die of hypothermia in the cold rain the wear a rain coat, because of misophonia. if wear a crinkly rain coat i will move my arm and vomit before my brain boils in my skull /hj. how do i tell someone who has never felt misophonia, why -20 degree rain could never force me to wear a coat because it feel like sand paper in my central nervous system

i need help explaining this to people

I have been learning that we are very prone to over explaining.

Do you really have to explain this to others in such depth? You could just make sure that you get a raincoat that you like, that is quiet, and wear that and not bother explaining much at all.

I think there are many options to consider between wearing the worst kind of coat you can imagine and dying of hypothermia. There are other solutions in between that you could explore and they won’t require much explanation.

how should explain to a neurotypical that id rather die of hypothermia in the cold rain the wear a rain coat, because of misophonia. if wear a crinkly rain coat i will move my arm and vomit before my brain boils in my skull /hj. how do i tell someone who has never felt misophonia, why -20 degree rain could never force me to wear a coat because it feel like sand paper in my central nervous system

i need help explaining this to people

It would be easier to just teach yourself to wear the raincoat. The same mind that creates these obstacles, can often overcome these obstacles.

It would be easier to just teach yourself to wear the raincoat. The same mind that creates these obstacles, can often overcome these obstacles.
giving vague unhelpful advice that basically translates "git gud" is all fine if you tell me how to do so! -...-

giving vague unhelpful advice that basically translates "git gud" is all fine if you tell me how to do so! -...-

Not all raingear is crinkly. In the military we had something made of Gortex. There must be a variety of fabric options. Try and test out different things. Maybe get a small umbrella you can carry anywhere, etc. You are the only one living in your brain and solutions tend to be very specific as do aversions and responses.

Not all raingear is crinkly. In the military we had something made of Gortex. There must be a variety of fabric options. Try and test out different things. Maybe get a small umbrella you can carry anywhere, etc. You are the only one living in your brain and solutions tend to be very specific as do aversions and responses.
Thank you,:]

Sound is a mixed bag for me I guess. I got sensitive hearing, which I, at least on a hobby level do something with. I'm a musician, I tinker around with production software and all that, so I kinda need my sensitive hearing.

However; I hear a lot of sounds people do not and that drives me up the wall. I don't think it's that I have an issue with specific sounds; but I have an issue with sound in general. I'm too much of a control freak to be "fine" if I hear something when I just don't want to hear a thing. It's like this "please be quiet, I'm trying to relax" but apparently your environment is not having any of that. And clearly it doesn't help if you hear a car driving around 5 blocks away.

It's among the reasons why my ceilingfan is on most of the time, even in the winter, just to block out some unwanted frequencies and actually help me get some sleep. It's much like noise-cancelling headphones in that regard.

So misophonia.. yeah, but in a different way I guess. No sounds in specific, but just the notion of sound of which I'm not responsible myself. Which is probably the most egotistical way in sound perception, lol.
I'm similar to you. At my job at the grocery stores I cannot stand it when people whistle, hum, or sing to themselves whenever I'm at the register. And in my home there also certain sounds and noises which, like you, drive up the wall. Golly does it all tax my energy.

New Threads

Top Bottom