• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Mirrors

I have always been judged better looking than average, and thin. But, in my adult life it's something I've tried very hard to achieve. I looked at myself as a "project." I made staying thin a "no excuses" aspect of my life, and have weighed (+ or -) 4 pounds my entire life. If I don't like what I see in the mirror, I change it. I look at my physical body as something that was assigned to me, that I'm responsible for, but I don't have a particular attachment to it. I also know I'm female, but don't identify with that more than my "male self," that's on the inside. I'm happy I have the capacity for grooming. I have a cousin, whom I'm convinced is also Aspie, who doesn't comb, cut or color her hair, doesn't use sunscreen (so is extremely wrinkled), doesn't have her teeth cleaned, doesn't care for her nails and never wears makeup. Each time I see her I want to take her somewhere for a makeover...I don't think she owns a mirror. HA!

Speaking from experience.. someone taught me how to dress, style my hair and groom about four years ago.. would your cousin appreciate it if you actually made the effort to teach her 'the tricks of fitting in'?
It made an immersurable difference to my life, knowing these things; my father was As too, so it never occurred to him, I believe, that I didn't automatically know this stuff. He was in the RAF, so I think he learned grooming during that time.

My dislike of mirrors is more to do with their mythology, at least where my father comes from, and what you can do with them :eek:

Yes! I can't say I really dislike mirrors but there are times when I feel uncomfortable just being near one. And the little mirror I have on my desk for make up must always be turned face down when not used. It's not even fear, just a feeling that like one should be careful with certain things. :nomouth:

Does anyone else have the same issue of not being able to recognize yourself in the mirror? Any time I'm not looking in the mirror, I actually forget what I look like.

YES. I often forget what I look like. My partner has been intrigued/playfully teases me about my penchant for taking 'selfies', and I often keep some on my phone for reference lol.

I experience some interesting prosopagnosia (for example, any white, dark haired, thin man is Justin Long haha), so I recognise both myself and others by consistent traits. If these change it can be extremely disorienting.

New Threads

Top Bottom