• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does your place (house or room) looks:

• Total voters
That is how our youngest son Dylan loves things. Scattered about. It is ok for him to do this for a few of his toys he loves, for him to play with throughout parts of the day, and then I put those away at the end of the day, but when he tries to often find just emptied boxes, and searches for papers and magazines and rips them, and chew on them, or throws these pieces all over every room, I have to make sure those papers and magazines are not lying around or in some drawyer he pulls out. I usually burn empty boxes in our fire pit, as soon as they are emptied.

Dylan likes climbing on countertops looking in cupboards for items, too, because of his hyperactivity in addition to Autism, so that is why lots of the cupboards are bare too, but we do have locks on some of them. Aaron is very good at helping organize and tidy up the house at the end of each day. He loves helping like that. He likes things in its proper places, too, and not laying around, or having too much. Even last Christmas we asked him how many things does he hope Santa will bring and he says "I only want three things." I say, "Are you sure. You are a good boy and he wants to probably give you many more," and he says, either "Of course" or repeats again "I want just three things."

I guess Aaron takes more after me, and Dylan my wife. One day I would not rule out us having buillt a new adjoining living quarters larger single story home; one side with their own kitchens and living room for those two to feel comfort much of several hours each day, and one side for Aaron and me, to motivate us and relax us. But, Dylan and my wife are ok now with most of the more organized things and less things all over. We reached a compromise by them having several of their things left around if a need, but me of course having to pick them up at days end.
What I've seen with my kids is that the older they get, the less mess they make. So there's hope :).
I started to symplify my house after my first kid was born, more than ten years ago (it was not called minimalism at the time) because I was exhausted all the time and the house shores seemed endless. Not only because of the normal work a baby brings, but also because my mind couldn't rest until everything was done. Even if I could stop my self from doing laundry (for example) I would go to bed thinking "I didn't fo laundry, I didn't pick up the toys, the bathroom is dirty..." and then I'd feel so frustrated the next day because in spite of my best intentions, something always happened that prevented me to finish cleaning everything.
Also, I tend to go deep in thought just looking at something. For example, I remember a huge flower vase that my sister in law gave us for out wedding. Everytime I looked at it, I would remember the times she was mean to me, and then started analysing back and forth the whole situation, and I'd be so self absorbed that I wouldn't look where I was going and trip over a coffee table (for example) and fall.
The freaking vase had to go, and then, many other stuff followed. For me, being a minimalist has been a life saver. I love having only what I want, not what other people have imposed on me, or even what my previous Me used to like.

What I've seen with my kids is that the older they get, the less mess they make. So there's hope :).
I started to symplify my house after my first kid was born, more than ten years ago (it was not called minimalism at the time) because I was exhausted all the time and the house shores seemed endless. Not only because of the normal work a baby brings, but also because my mind couldn't rest until everything was done. Even if I could stop my self from doing laundry (for example) I would go to bed thinking "I didn't fo laundry, I didn't pick up the toys, the bathroom is dirty..." and then I'd feel so frustrated the next day because in spite of my best intentions, something always happened that prevented me to finish cleaning everything.
Also, I tend to go deep in thought just looking at something. For example, I remember a huge flower vase that my sister in law gave us for out wedding. Everytime I looked at it, I would remember the times she was mean to me, and then started analysing back and forth the whole situation, and I'd be so self absorbed that I wouldn't look where I was going and trip over a coffee table (for example) and fall.
The freaking vase had to go, and then, many other stuff followed. For me, being a minimalist has been a life saver. I love having only what I want, not what other people have imposed on me, or even what my previous Me used to like.

I often got exhausted too, these last few years, as it seemed like once I cleaned and organized everything, two hours later Dylan would have messed things up again, as he had his own ideas. So, I started putting a door child-proof door lock on our bedroom and Aaron's door, as that was our private spaces, and Dylan could not mess those up.

Aaron knows how to open his locked door, so that is fine, but Dylan does not know how to yet, which is good. With time, maybe he will learn to have less cluttered needs, as yesterday we saw him handing me a cup that fell out of the cupboard that he opened, and with him pulling my hand then upwards as if I needed to put it back up there.

When I am in that zone to put things away and clean at days end, I quickly and quietly do it and am not paying attention to anything else. I just ask my wife to get the children ready for bed, so I can finish doing it, so the next day I am energized and do not feel overwhelmed in the beginning of the day. Also, I have learned to keep sentimental items out of reach.

For those items like that vase, yea, I would have discarded too, if it brought back bad memories. Like, I always threw out all my sisters stuff within a few days after she gave them when growing up. She would make fun of my brother and I often for not talking, and always acted superior to us, and she would give the dumbest of items to us, without much thought.

I'm a minimalist, but a disorganised one. Because I have very few possessions my tiny flat remains reasonably tidy despite my habit of dropping things on the floor or the nearest surface when I'm done with them and only tidying and cleaning on saturdays.

IVE just cleaned in the kitchen but the slight o.c.d can make me go to the excited panic side then i hurt the muscles in my torso,
but i like the endorphin rush also could be an adrenaline junkie
started looking at my piles
if you want an o.c.d fix look up 'Richard Wallace or wallis surry England -hoarder
i remember the documentary and how his neighbour said Richard started to pink up after his bungalow (a small house -not storied with small amount of land) was nearly cleared
he had kepy 30 years worth of newspapers and other things -it extended outside and was over 10 feet high inside the house ,
the piles cleared outside revealed his parents car rolls royce i think
Hi, is anyone here a minimalist or is interested in minimalism? I go onto the go started this lifestyle path formally four years ago, but I've always been interested in finding new ways to simplify my life. Having less visual distractions at home, and reducing the amount of decisions that I have to make everyday, regarding clothing, food, etc, has helped me a lot in having a sense of order in what otherwise would be a chaotic life. I've also rediscovered (because I remember that I used to love to organize my toys and stuff when I was a kid) that I get a thrilled sensation every time I can organize neatly my stuff :).

Hi, is anyone here a minimalist or is interested in minimalism? I started this lifestyle path formally four years ago, but I've always been interested in finding new ways to simplify my life. Having less visual distractions at home, and reducing the amount of decisions that I have to make everyday, regarding clothing, food, etc, has helped me a lot in having a sense of order in what otherwise would be a chaotic life. I've also rediscovered (because I remember that I used to love to organize my toys and stuff when I was a kid) that I get a thrilled sensation every time I can organize neatly my stuff :).
I think this is cool - I watch youtube videos sort of related to it, but basically of people trying to simplify their living space and their clothing options. My biggest problem, though, is that I like to collect things. I curate, so I never have extra - but what I have tends to be a lot! It's fun to watch other people talk about it though.

Have you used it in the last year if not get rid thats the maxim one life coach has
i cant do that what i think is if i DONT use it give it away or sell if you can
Man I can't count how many times I didn't touch in years and years then all of a sudden I was using it constantly until it wore out.

Keeping some of my old favorite clothes from when I was fat in high-school was the only thing that kept me clothed through my pregnancies. I seriously would of been piecing together rags otherwise.

it was /is actually a series!!! tiny house is in the title, i get all shaky thinking about sorting and loads of shelves and cleaning, i can really irritate one cat (socks) that i call the American cat, he is bigger than British cats, trying to wipe off dead hair- think it pride with cats they clean themselves a lot.
gizmo much smaller male cat is so beautifully white on his underside and one white leg and two feet and two arms it fascinates me

New Threads

Top Bottom