• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Microsoft Edge Windows 11

Despite being knowledgeable on many subjects, computers is not one of them; and using Google doesn't help, because there is no special Google button for the computer moron. Upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and then 11 was a huge step for me. Shoot, I was happy with XP until that computer blew up.

With that said, is there a way to permanently disable Microsoft Edge? I've figured out how to disable it so it doesn't run in the background but it somehow turns back on.

Nope. A hallmark of proprietary software. That which you cannot delete.

7bew7o.jpg

Android is guilty of the same thing. Ever wanted to get rid of Facebook and Chrome? Unless you root the phone, tough.

And this is why Linux peaked my curiousity a long time ago.

Android is guilty of the same thing. Ever wanted to get rid of Facebook and Chrome? Unless you root the phone, tough.

I have an android and it didn't come with Facebook pre-installed. Which one do you have?

It is ironic. Edge is based on the Chrome Engine. It's not even their product!

Microsoft just couldn't compete when it comes to web browsers. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I have an android and it didn't come with Facebook pre-installed. Which one do you have?
Older Android devices did not, but newer ones will likely have Facebook and/or Instagram, maybe even Twitter X Cancer as well. That's not even getting into default apps from the manufacturer and cell service.

When you look at all the other "roles" of Microsoft Edge not directly associated with web browsing, it does look suspiciously familiar with what they originally did with their garbage browser known as "Internet Explorer". A program you not only couldn't uninstall, but was deeply tied to all kinds of internal functions relative to the operating system. A sinister way of keeping everything proprietary, forcing users to exclusively use Microsoft software, far beyond the scope of just their Windows operating system.

I don't find it particularly bad as a browser, though it's no secret that Microsoft gave up trying to independently develop their own browser and instead defaulted to a proprietary product using Google Chrome's browser engine.

Sadly the two entities are well known for violating everyone's privacy online through routine telemetry. In this respect the browser could well have some sinister uses to both Microsoft and Alphabet Inc. (Google). Though all that said, I have maintained a preference for using Mozilla Firefox as a default browser in Linux.

Last edited:
If you rename the file for Edge in File Explorer you can temporarily disable it and it's features.

If you rename the file for Edge in File Explorer you can temporarily disable it and it's features.
That might work to make the browser non-functional, but what if it also makes other unspecified functions non-functional as well?

Microsoft's words- not mine:

"Because Windows supports applications that rely on the web platform, our default web browser is an essential component of our operating system and can’t be uninstalled."

That might work to make the browser non-functional, but what if it also makes other unspecified functions non-functional as well?

Microsoft's words- not mine:

"Because Windows supports applications that rely on the web platform, our default web browser is an essential component of our operating system and can’t be uninstalled."
I just figured that was the intention.

I haven't used Windows since they were still using Internet Explorer so I don't know if it's still the same or not. Internet Explorer was also the software management program so if you removed internet explorer you could no longer install any programs.

A combination of that and Microsoft Office trying to connect to the internet all the time when I was writing documents was what started my interest in Linux back in the 90s.

CCleaner has an uninstall button for Edge.... Will it work? Not sure because I use Edge a great deal.
LOL...small wonder that Microsoft's Windows Defender identifies CCleaner as a "Potentially Unwanted Application".

Though CCleaner has been under a lot of suspicion for years as their servers have been hacked. Also certain tools like their registry cleaner sometimes do a bit too thorough a job, and can potentially bring down the entire OS. Though personally I never encountered such issues when using Piriform products.

When I was still using Windows, I switched over to Glary Utilities years ago. Not as robust, but it gets the job done with no history of being hacked. I use it particularly not to protect myself from hackers, but to protect myself from Microsoft and all their telemetry in harvesting our data. It also has a registry cleaner I've used for years without incident.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom