• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

meltdowns and medication

VioletHaze_03

Nerdling (Fledgling nerd)
recently, i've started to notice that i am becoming overwhelmed more easily. Maybe it's the added stress of postsecondary education next year, i don't know. My biggest worry is that if i get overwhelmed as an adult, and throw a meltdown when there is no one around to support me, it may cause me to get fired from a job or ostracized. My meltdowns not violent, but if i am in school i will just shut down, stare at the wall and refuse to do any work. Afterwards, i feel extremely unstable, emotionally raw and just.....drained. I don't want to keep living with this, and i have started to look into medication as it is difficult to come up with stratagies to manage my meltdowns. (i cannot get half hour breaks and a room by myself in the real world, cbt and talk therapy was ineffective) however, it seems the widely used medications are heavy duty antipsychotics, equivelant to chemical shackles. I don't need medications this intense, but i do need something to calm me down. I have tried ativan when i was younger with no effect. Any ideas on what to do?

Hi!
Maybe check out a recent thread "Medication: Do you take any?" This was my post from there.

Clonazepam 0.5 mg daily
Imipramine 150 mg at bedtime daily.

I've been taking these 2 meds at the same dosage for 7 years. I take the Clonazepam in the morning, and it helps through the day, managing anxiety and OCD tendencies. It has helped enormously in my relationships, as it seems to minimize my need to have everything perfect, and I feel less volatile and irritable.

The Imipramine is not a usual antidepressant option these days. It was chosen for me in consultation with a psychiatrist who I respect enormously-- personally and professionally. It's an older class of antidepressant called a tricyclic, and comes with some annoying side effects. The only one that bothers me is dry mouth. The positives for me: it's sedating, so I haven't had insomnia since it kicked in. (I had struggled my whole life with that, and anyone else who has could appreciate what a GIFT it has been to have 6+ years of guaranteed, restful sleep.) It seems to handle my PTSD symptoms, and while I still have bouts of low mood from time to time, I have yet to suffer another true depressive episode while on it. Unlike many of the newer antidepressant drugs, it has a low risk of sexual side effects. I know that might not be a big deal for some, but really is, for me. I'm married to a great guy (we've been a couple for 27 years), and we've got a busy family life with 3 school aged kids. Our relationship with each other is the glue that holds everything together. A really satisfying sex life is a major part of that.

Hi!
Maybe check out a recent thread "Medication: Do you take any?" This was my post from there.

Clonazepam 0.5 mg daily

I've been taking these 2 meds at the same dosage for 7 years. I take the Clonazepam in the morning, and it helps through the day, managing anxiety and OCD tendencies. It has helped enormously in my relationships, as it seems to minimize my need to have everything perfect, and I feel less volatile and irritable.

The Imipramine is not a usual antidepressant option these days. It was chosen for me in consultation with a psychiatrist who I respect enormously-- personally and professionally. It's an older class of antidepressant called a tricyclic, and comes with some annoying side effects. The only one that bothers me is dry mouth. The positives for me: it's sedating, so I haven't had insomnia since it kicked in. (I had struggled my whole life with that, and anyone else who has could appreciate what a GIFT it has been to have 6+ years of guaranteed, restful sleep.) It seems to handle my PTSD symptoms, and while I still have bouts of low mood from time to time, I have yet to suffer another true depressive episode while on it. Unlike many of the newer antidepressant drugs, it has a low risk of sexual side effects. I know that might not be a big deal for some, but really is, for me. I'm married to a great guy (we've been a couple for 27 years), and we've got a busy family life with 3 school aged kids. Our relationship with each other is the glue that holds everything together. A really satisfying sex life is a major part of that.
Thank you, i'll look into it. I'm just feeling a bit Confused and scared by this, so anything helps!

I've been on two antipsychotics, risperidone and aripiprazole, I'm still on the latter at 10 mg, a third of the maximum dose. To me it I haven't felt like I'm drugged, sedated or "chemically restrained", I just feel like me just without the anxiety and with more energy for everyday things.

Your mileage may vary but they're not strictly what all the nay sayers say they are.

My meltdowns not violent, but if i am in school i will just shut down, stare at the wall and refuse to do any work

I don't know what program you plan to be in but based on my experience in post-secondary, generally speaking, nobody is going to kick up any fuss if you walk out in the middle of a lecture (as in, walk out and take a break before you hit meltdown point) unless they have control issues or you're being really disruptive as you leave.

Nobody expects you to ask for permission to leave a classroom or lecture hall -- you just go. If there is some sort of discussion or group activity happening you can excuse yourself politely (e.g. "Sorry, I just need to step out for a minute -- be right back" or "Sorry, I'm not feeling well and I think I need to [go home/go get some water/whatever else fits with the time period you may be gone for and/or what you actually need to do]".

It does depend on the program, the specific professor, the institution, and the size of the class to some extent.....but it's not like high school. Nobody is there to police your attendance or try to make you do the required coursework -- you're responsible for yourself, which comes with the freedom to cut yourself some slack when you need it and to breathe easy knowing nobody will freak out if you have a bad day and shut down. (Except your parents, I suppose, if they remain very involved in your life and insist on overseeing your schoolwork and being told everything about your days...)

If you are taking classes in the humanities/arts your classes would probably be mostly lectures (except for exam days) -- required reading and writing papers and all the other "work" gets done mostly, or entirely, during your own time outside of class.

Depending on your program of study and what post-secondary institution you attend, many classes don't even have attendance requirements. (These tend to be the classes where lecture material is identical to what's covered in required readings and there is no practical/lab component -- although my biology professor made it clear from the beginning that none of our grade would be based on our attendance of lectures.)

Most (I would hope all) post-secondary institutions have a disability services office that provides various supports to students with disabilities (all kinds of disabilities -- physical, sensory, developmental, specific learning disabilities, psychological/mental health difficulties).....

Part of what they do is to set up reasonable accomodations for students that require them. Based on the documentation you provide them and on discussion with you, they sort out what you need that the school can provide and then communicate with your instructors to let them know about your situation and whatever accomodations you require. (To do this they often require a recent diagnosis or re-evaluation, and sometimes recent psychoeducational testing -- usually no older than around 5 years. But they may be able to help arrange that kind of testing or re-evaluation, or at least guide/refer people to other resources. Also, very important: they typically require that you register with the disability services office in advance of your first semester -- often many months in advance, so t's something a person should look into early, if there's even the tiniest, remotest chance they'd ever need accomodations)

One of the accomodations the disability services officed in post-secondary schools typically provides is note-takers for those who (for whatever reason....perhaps being overwhelmed and shut down would be a qualifying reason?) may not be able to effectively take notes. (I was offered one because I have ADHD).

You also could ask to take audio recordings of your lectures (even without being registered with the disability services office a lot of professors would be fine with this as long as you ask permission and explain that you have difficulty with note-taking) if you are worried about spacing out and missing stuff.

If it is the school environment that stressed you out, you might consider looking for degree programs offered via distance ed. I understand that distance education has a bad reputation in a lot of people's minds, but at least in Canada legitimate degree programs offered by well-respected schools do exist....maybe that is the case in other countries, too.

(i cannot get half hour breaks and a room by myself in the real world,

That might not be true.

If you find a vocation you can excel at where breaks would not be completley impractical, and can demonstrate you are a valuable employee who does/will do good work, you might get those breaks as reasonable accomodations without issue.

You might even find a job (or multiple jobs) where half hour breaks by yourself in a quiet room are sort of built in and you don't have to ask for accomodations at all. A job where you work independently most or all of the time, and in a setting where you have your own office might be one example.

Or, if you could come up with suitable self-employment, you could determine your own working environment and schedule (of course, again you still have to choose the right kind of employment -- working for yourself doensn't automatically guarantee any particular kind of flexibility or environment, you'd have to find the right kind of work).

People may tell you that nobody looks out for anybody else in the real world, nobody will want to accomodate you.....and it's true that a lot of times people don't/won't (probably the majority of times, unfortunately), but it's not true that it never happens at all. There is hope.

For calming strategies, it depends on the source of your stress/anxiety. Prevention is usually the best solution....sometimes that just means minimizing sources of stress. Sometimes it means building a routine of activities that are relaxing or help you let off steam or express yourself or meet your sensory needs. Sometimes it means learning breathing exercises or meditation to do when your stress level starts rising.

Last edited:
I take fluoxetine. It helps but it's not a miracle which cures all melt down.

Slowly the real word it getting better. Work places now offer schemes to help people with autism. For example my brother who works an IT tech notion has a mentor to help him along and explain to other staff and his issues and if he has a melt down.

I have the same problem with my meltdowns, and they sound relatively similar to yours. Generally if that's happening in class I will just excuse myself to the lavatory for a while to get a grip. Or, if I can't do that try to meditate to the best of my ability. I myself, provably wouldn't take drugs no matter how bad it got, but I know that they help some people. As to what you should take, you're best to ask a psychiatrist about that. Everyone is different in that regard. And as for the meltdowns in the real world, people honestly just don't care if you walk away silently usually, so you can just leave if you need to.

I don't know what program you plan to be in but based on my experience in post-secondary, generally speaking, nobody is going to kick up any fuss if you walk out in the middle of a lecture (as in, walk out and take a break before you hit meltdown point) unless they have control issues or you're being really disruptive as you leave.

Nobody expects you to ask for permission to leave a classroom or lecture hall -- you just go. If there is some sort of discussion or group activity happening you can excuse yourself politely (e.g. "Sorry, I just need to step out for a minute -- be right back" or "Sorry, I'm not feeling well and I think I need to [go home/go get some water/whatever else fits with the time period you may be gone for and/or what you actually need to do]".

It does depend on the program, the specific professor, the institution, and the size of the class to some extent.....but it's not like high school. Nobody is there to police your attendance or try to make you do the required coursework -- you're responsible for yourself, which comes with the freedom to cut yourself some slack when you need it and to breathe easy knowing nobody will freak out if you have a bad day and shut down. (Except your parents, I suppose, if they remain very involved in your life and insist on overseeing your schoolwork and being told everything about your days...)

If you are taking classes in the humanities/arts your classes would probably be mostly lectures (except for exam days) -- required reading and writing papers and all the other "work" gets done mostly, or entirely, during your own time outside of class.

Depending on your program of study and what post-secondary institution you attend, many classes don't even have attendance requirements. (These tend to be the classes where lecture material is identical to what's covered in required readings and there is no practical/lab component -- although my biology professor made it clear from the beginning that none of our grade would be based on our attendance of lectures.)

Most (I would hope all) post-secondary institutions have a disability services office that provides various supports to students with disabilities (all kinds of disabilities -- physical, sensory, developmental, specific learning disabilities, psychological/mental health difficulties).....

Part of what they do is to set up reasonable accomodations for students that require them. Based on the documentation you provide them and on discussion with you, they sort out what you need that the school can provide and then communicate with your instructors to let them know about your situation and whatever accomodations you require. (To do this they often require a recent diagnosis or re-evaluation, and sometimes recent psychoeducational testing -- usually no older than around 5 years. But they may be able to help arrange that kind of testing or re-evaluation, or at least guide/refer people to other resources. Also, very important: they typically require that you register with the disability services office in advance of your first semester -- often many months in advance, so t's something a person should look into early, if there's even the tiniest, remotest chance they'd ever need accomodations)

One of the accomodations the disability services officed in post-secondary schools typically provides is note-takers for those who (for whatever reason....perhaps being overwhelmed and shut down would be a qualifying reason?) may not be able to effectively take notes. (I was offered one because I have ADHD).

You also could ask to take audio recordings of your lectures (even without being registered with the disability services office a lot of professors would be fine with this as long as you ask permission and explain that you have difficulty with note-taking) if you are worried about spacing out and missing stuff.

If it is the school environment that stressed you out, you might consider looking for degree programs offered via distance ed. I understand that distance education has a bad reputation in a lot of people's minds, but at least in Canada legitimate degree programs offered by well-respected schools do exist....maybe that is the case in other countries, too.

That might not be true.

If you find a vocation you can excel at where breaks would not be completley impractical, and can demonstrate you are a valuable employee who does/will do good work, you might get those breaks as reasonable accomodations without issue.

You might even find a job (or multiple jobs) where half hour breaks by yourself in a quiet room are sort of built in and you don't have to ask for accomodations at all. A job where you work independently most or all of the time, and in a setting where you have your own office might be one example.

Or, if you could come up with suitable self-employment, you could determine your own working environment and schedule (of course, again you still have to choose the right kind of employment -- working for yourself doensn't automatically guarantee any particular kind of flexibility or environment, you'd have to find the right kind of work).

People may tell you that nobody looks out for anybody else in the real world, nobody will want to accomodate you.....and it's true that a lot of times people don't/won't (probably the majority of times, unfortunately), but it's not true that it never happens at all. There is hope.

For calming strategies, it depends on the source of your stress/anxiety. Prevention is usually the best solution....sometimes that just means minimizing sources of stress. Sometimes it means building a routine of activities that are relaxing or help you let off steam or express yourself or meet your sensory needs. Sometimes it means learning breathing exercises or meditation to do when your stress level starts rising.

Everything Tortoise said. Post Secondary will have accommodations, and some job fields allow you to work independently, or provide accommodations as well.

Everything Tortoise said. Post Secondary will have accommodations, and some job fields allow you to work independently, or provide accommodations as well.
Agreed, I'd say medications are a last resort is you can't solve the problem that is making you meltdown. I've seen people who've taken meds and it's only made the problem worse, anti-depressants sent a friend of mine to the point of trying to stab themself to death when they were nowhere near that bad before, and I've met people where it's really helped. I'm just a bit wary of medication after seeing the carnage it did to my friend, after he was off them he was a lot better. But I do know they help as well, there is just a risk involved that I don't think I'd be willing to take.

Thank you for your input guys, all of you brought up some really helpful points. I have an iep in a few weeks and my parents have scheduled a meeting with my doctor. I'll try bringing up some stratagies with the school (sensory breaks) and i am also getting a counselor soon. Hopefully that will make things easier, so i do not have to consider medication.

Like one of the posters above, I take Prozac (Fluoxetine) to control my meltdowns, which can intensify near my menstrual period. Like the OP's, my meltdowns are not violent, but they are loud, obnoxious, full of ridiculous ramblings, and annoying to anyone who has to deal with them. Since they're a part of my ASD, and I need medication to control them, they cause a lot of the Autism Shame I mentioned in my introduction thread. They've even caused the conspiracy theorist in me to believe that people on the Spectrum who don't want a cure are not really on the Spectrum and are, instead, simply being paid by drug companies to say they're on the Spectrum and don't want a cure so that the companies can continue to profit off the medications. Either way, I'm glad to NOT be on one of those heavy antipsychotic drugs. Not only would I not want to be in a chemical straitjacket, but I also fear side-effects that those drugs carry, such as weight gain and diabetes. I'm overweight as it is due to a soda addiction, I don't want a medication making the problem worse.

Hi!

Clonazepam 0.5 mg daily

Clonazepam can be useful for controlling anxiety but it is highly addictive and coming off it can be really dangerous and have horrible side effects if not done slowly enough. I took it for about 3 years and it was by far the most difficult med I've ever had to wean myself off.

New Threads

Top Bottom