• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Medications That Work For Anxiety

Robby

Just wondering what some of you have taken and had luck with for anxiety I have social anxiety and occasional panic attacks for years and also am being told I may have Aspergers. I have taken xanax as needed and it helps a lot, I like it because I can take it as needed and feel more in control in a way. I'm very leery of ssri's but pretty much every doctor has told me they will benefit me for the anxiety. In the past I tried Paxil and it didn't work at all it made me very sleepy and lethargic. Zoloft made me feel hyper and out of my mind. Now I'm on Lexapro which jury is still out on but it's so-so. Helps a bit with the bad panic I got and I notice less anxiety but some of the side effects are annoying. Guess I'll stick it out for now and see.

I've tried Zoloft before with similar results as you experienced. I am currently taking .5mg Clonazepam (a very low dose), 1/2 tablet in midday, 1/2 tablet at night. I am very pleased with how it works. I've been very busy at work, and I'm somehow not flipping out, and sleeping soundly.

I have started taking 75mg of Wellbutrin to aid with focus and it has so far worked well, I used to take Strattera, an ADD medication, but the side effects were intolerable.

Right now, suffering from anxiety ie heart thumping and terrible butterfly feelings in my tummy and this is mild.

I take some thing called: SEDITIFPC which is completely natural and works for me, amazingly fast and for a long time and no side effects.

I was on prozac for years and then, when I finally came off them, it still left me with severe anxiety and then, my husband appeared from work and put this package in front of me and said: try those; they are homeopathic and I did and whoa. I am going to take a couple soon, because despite my anxiety being mild, still uncomfortable.

I've been taking Wellbutrin and Ativan since July and have seen my moods really level out. The Ativan is .5mg and I feel like it doesn't make me groggy or affect me at work (this is taken on an as-needed basis) whereas the Xanax made me feel like a zombie at times. I also take chewable L-theanine for anxiety. It is all natural and taking 2, when I'm feeling overwhelmed or my thoughts are racing, usually does the trick and can substitute for the Ativan.

I've been taking Wellbutrin and Ativan since July and have seen my moods really level out. The Ativan is .5mg and I feel like it doesn't make me groggy or affect me at work (this is taken on an as-needed basis) whereas the Xanax made me feel like a zombie at times. I also take chewable L-theanine for anxiety. It is all natural and taking 2, when I'm feeling overwhelmed or my thoughts are racing, usually does the trick and can substitute for the Ativan.

Ativan is a benzodiazepine, like the Clonazepam I'm taking along with Wellbutrin.

Anxiety and sleep problems were what I first sought help for, which all led to me being diagnosed with AS. I've heard of others on the spectrum using the same combination with good results.

I take a beta blocker because I had trouble with my heart racing due to anxiety and stuff it helps me feel a bit calmer. I also take the Lexapro which jury is still out on some side effects I don't like it makes me feel foggy and out of it sometimes and jittery. And there are a few sexual side effects. I take .5mg xanax as needed it helps me in those panicky moments and for sleep.

Xanax works best for me.

I personally don't like the antidepressants. I get real speedy on them - not sure why but they don't work for me.

Ritalin is also good for focus (if you have ADHD like me) & also calms me, but if taken for several days, I get agitated & grumpy, so i only take it now when I need to focus.

WHAT WORKS FOR ASPURGERS? THESE:

Psilocybe(Magic Mushrooms)
Psilocybe_semilanceata_6514.jpg

My doctors who know me pretty well seem to think lexapro or an ssri is good together with xanax or a benzo to keep things level like I said I tend to be sensitive to meds and I havent had good experiences with antidepressants I am a bit leery of them long term. But Im trying the low dose lexapro now cant hurt I guess.

WHAT WORKS FOR ASPURGERS? THESE:

Psilocybe(Magic Mushrooms)
Psilocybe_semilanceata_6514.jpg
Careful with these...if it's your first time taking them, make sure its in a safe environment with someone on hand to call emergency services if need be. Some people react great, others not so much. My own experience with them has been positive, with effects lasting for several days, but they definitely aren't at the top of my list of recommendations.

Careful with these...if it's your first time taking them, make sure its in a safe environment with someone on hand to call emergency services if need be. Some people react great, others not so much. My own experience with them has been positive, with effects lasting for several days, but they definitely aren't at the top of my list of recommendations.
I agree, its like some people act violently when they drink a beer.

all people in the world.

Last edited by a moderator:

Strongly agree. It is dangerous to mix psychoactive ingredients, largely because the combinations are untested. Doing so creates an entirely new drug and it's your body acting as the "lab." If you have a bad reaction, emergency medical help has to do a research project while your safety hangs in the balance.

Personally I wouldn't EVER take mushrooms or something like that it can really be dangerous. Once way back, I tried them with people I at the time thought were my friends but of course they weren't or they wouldn't have let me done it, and they really messed me up bad. Anything should be done under the supervision of a doctor. I'd be open to smoking weed for anxiety but nothing more than that. For me when I smoked weed it definitely helped my anxiety a lot but when the effects wore off I was a bit paranoid & plus I hated the smell of it. Everyone's different. Benzos have gotten a bad wrap but they have helped me a lot in small does for anxiety and no bad side effects either. Everyone's just different.

I found that for me Clonopin was a good answer for me. I had the dr put me on a regimen of it taking 3 pills a day. The problem with it however was becoming addicted to it. And if you are late on a time of taking the medicine my ears would ring. Currently I am not on it. I take haldol right now.

If not abused benzos are really good for anxiety if you don't have depression at least for me. And I like that I can take them when I feel I need them and not have a bunch of side effects. I have .5mg xanax but I cut that in half and sometimes even less for when I need it it works great and I feel more in control with it for some reason. I keep hearing people say that when it comes to anti-depressants everyone has that one that will work for them but just finding it is the key. I was given paxil by two different doctors and it made me so sluggish and also constipated I hated it. It also gave me hot flashes. Zoloft kind of made me feel speedy but I'd be open to it again now that I am on Mirtazipine for sleep. Jury's still out on Lexapro. It's so-so.

Klonopin is rather unique among benzos in that it has a really long half-life and it's almost impossible to build up a tolerance to. I take it for sleep. But like any other benzo, withdrawal is HORRIBLE! I've had times where I had gaps in my prescription and I just wanted to die. So in that regard, proceed with caution.

Very true caution is needed with any benzo. I've never taken Klonopin but Im at the point now where I've been relying on Xanax to help me fall asleep along with Melatonin. Doc gave me the Mirtazipine to try and wean myself off the Xanax. Not sure how that will work out but so far melatonin & xanax really helps with sleep. And xanax is good for that sudden panic but since I started on a beta blocker I've found I rarely need xanax for anxiety any more just for sleep.

I found that for me Clonopin was a good answer for me. I had the dr put me on a regimen of it taking 3 pills a day. The problem with it however was becoming addicted to it. And if you are late on a time of taking the medicine my ears would ring. Currently I am not on it. I take haldol right now.
dam dude....

well, for me I was midly addicted to some drug.
after the mushrooms, I no longer felt any need for it, and stopped taking it..

mushrooms are amazing, its like it clears your brain out.
my body felt like it was made of water.

it was truly amazing.

and its the after effects man, it has great health effects.

mushrooms are life.

I've been on lexapro for years and it helps a lot.

For times of extra anxiety, klonazapam helps a bit.

Ya'll are making me wish I had access to mushrooms! I just wish this stuff was legal.

Klonopin is rather unique among benzos in that it has a really long half-life and it's almost impossible to build up a tolerance to. I take it for sleep. But like any other benzo, withdrawal is HORRIBLE! I've had times where I had gaps in my prescription and I just wanted to die. So in that regard, proceed with caution.

I take 2.mg of Klonopin daily. Honestly, of all the meds I am on, it seems to be the most effective for me overall in controlling anxiety and other symptoms.

New Threads

Top Bottom