• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Medical question

ftfipps

Sometimes when I cough or sneeze or exert myself I get very disoriented and scared along with a strange headache that feels almost like pin pricks in my head. not very painful maybe 1 out of 10 pain scale. It is more terrifying than anything. I get very confused and my thoughts are disjointed. This has happened several times now. I went to the ER, they did a blood test and urine test, said I was fine and told me to go home. No numbness or tingling.

Sounds like something to keep an eye out for especially if it's happened multiple times. Hope it gets fixed soon.

Honestly it sounds like one of those things that simply happens from physical stress. I get stuff like this sometimes if I have to do too much exertion in a really short time. Or if I have like a really bad coughing fit.

There's no reason to be scared. Part of the reason why it feels more intense to you is because you mentally focus on it. I have a tendancy to do that too, with "medical" things, including totally harmless stuff.

I can also get that weird disjointed aspect too. If I get one of my "headache but not really" things, I get a bit mentally lost until it goes away. Mostly the sensory aspect of it is just a bit too much. Despite that, it's harmless, and its been explained to me numerous times as to how it happens and what causes it. Doesnt stop it from driving me crazy.

Anyway, I will say though, if you're not in general, immediate danger, dont go to the ER, go see your usual doctor/physician instead. ER docs are mostly about dealing with really severe injuries or various sorts of health crisis. For a bit of head pain or sensory weirdness, yeah, just see a normal doc. That way you can rule out anything that's actually bad, and they might have advice for you on how to mitigate it in the future, which is very useful stuff to know.

Honestly it sounds like one of those things that simply happens from physical stress. I get stuff like this sometimes if I have to do too much exertion in a really short time. Or if I have like a really bad coughing fit.

There's no reason to be scared. Part of the reason why it feels more intense to you is because you mentally focus on it. I have a tendancy to do that too, with "medical" things, including totally harmless stuff.

I can also get that weird disjointed aspect too. If I get one of my "headache but not really" things, I get a bit mentally lost until it goes away. Mostly the sensory aspect of it is just a bit too much. Despite that, it's harmless, and its been explained to me numerous times as to how it happens and what causes it. Doesnt stop it from driving me crazy.

Anyway, I will say though, if you're not in general, immediate danger, dont go to the ER, go see your usual doctor/physician instead. ER docs are mostly about dealing with really severe injuries or various sorts of health crisis. For a bit of head pain or sensory weirdness, yeah, just see a normal doc. That way you can rule out anything that's actually bad, and they might have advice for you on how to mitigate it in the future, which is very useful stuff to know.
Thanks, man! I like this response and I agree. I'll just hafta pay out of pocket 'cause I don't even have a pdoc...It's just, I don't want to screw around if it could be serious ya know?

ftfipps. It could be a number of things - sinus problems, inner ear, fluid, or something more serious like a cyst or tumor. They didn't even do an xray?
The pin prick feeling in your head is not a common complaint. Anywhere else, I would say nerve related, could be - depending on location.
Oh - could all be neck related - jarring your neck, if the nerves are pinched, will cause different things. Check out info on the trigeminal nerve and symptoms or other nerves that lead to the head.

Last edited:
ftfipps. It could be a number of things - sinus problems, inner ear, fluid, or something more serious like a cyst or tumor. They didn't even do an xray?
The pin prick feeling in your head is not a common complaint. Anywhere else, I would say nerve related, could be - depending on location.
Oh - could all be neck related - jarring your neck, if the nerves are pinched, will cause different things. Check out info on the trigeminal nerve and symptoms or other nerves that lead to the head.
Well, they did an MRI and they told me that they were within 95% certainty there was no bleeding so yay. I think It might be the pinched nerve thing on the back of the head. Something got pinched, now the symptoms persist so It is kinda troubling. It feels like the greater occipital. It is only when I become stressed I just start feeling confused like I may stroke out or something.

Well, they did an MRI and they told me that they were within 95% certainty there was no bleeding so yay. I think It might be the pinched nerve thing on the back of the head. Something got pinched, now the symptoms persist so It is kinda troubling. It feels like the greater occipital. It is only when I become stressed I just start feeling confused like I may stroke out or something.
If it's a pinched nerve, probably from a herniated disk in that part of your neck, it may just be something you have to deal with unless it gets considerably worse that you feel you have to have something done. Don't panic. Glad to know they did an MRI. If there was a cyst or tumor or fluid somewhere, it would have picked up those things. So it probably is something in your neck - that can cause a lot of weird stuff. :)

I'll ask about the herniated disk in the neck the next time I go if I decide to get it checked out further.

New Threads

Top Bottom