• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Martial Arts/Self Defense Classes for Autistics?

DragonKid♾

I have recently been receiving some very disturbing cyberbullying messages. I was ignoring it until it went from just insults to threats of violence. The person threatened to beat me up. I have reason to believe that this person goes to my school and would be able to find me and do it. I told my parents and they said they were very sorry I have to deal with this. But they said that since I don’t know exactly who is doing this and I have no proof they’ll follow through on their threats, there’s nothing more they can do. I still feel scared. I want to be able to defend myself if someone attacks me. I don’t want to be scared of going back to school. The problem is there’s a reason I’m not very sporty. The way that sound echoes in gyms can cause sensory overload and meltdowns. I don’t know how to find a place that would work for me. Thoughts?

I've taken Tai Chi lessons before, and there are many instructional videos and books. I do not know which ones are best, and there are variations of form. It is more than just a slow stretch, it does train the body to move and flow with balance and focus. It is, in other words, an actual Martial Art.
If you are lucky enough to find someone to do one-on-one training, so much the better - there is no correction of form with video or book training. So you'd be best to go slow and with mirrors, if you cannot find an instructor.

I never had a problem with gyms. I kind of liked the echo effect. :D But though I never did martial arts, the training centers seem to be in small places. The sounds may be a different sort.

if youre able to, i'd recommend taking up kung fu. it's made specifically for self-defense: you can learn weapon techniques, but you would start out just exercising and learning hand forms. you would also learn how to break grabs and block attacks, all while building useful muscle (not just for show!)

my school taught praying mantis and while i never needed to use it, it helped me build self-discipline, strength and confidence.

I have recently been receiving some very disturbing cyberbullying messages. I was ignoring it until it went from just insults to threats of violence. The person threatened to beat me up. I have reason to believe that this person goes to my school and would be able to find me and do it. I told my parents and they said they were very sorry I have to deal with this. But they said that since I don’t know exactly who is doing this and I have no proof they’ll follow through on their threats, there’s nothing more they can do. I still feel scared. I want to be able to defend myself if someone attacks me. I don’t want to be scared of going back to school. The problem is there’s a reason I’m not very sporty. The way that sound echoes in gyms can cause sensory overload and meltdowns. I don’t know how to find a place that would work for me. Thoughts?
Yes. Highly recommended.

However, do understand that most of your training will be the discipline of self-control and defense, not offense,...having the ability, but under control,...being able to avoid a conflict, as well as, shut down a physical interaction quickly.

Furthermore, and probably more important, is that being "physically capable" is a huge boost to your confidence that will carry you through all aspects of your life. The idea here would be not the insecure "beta male" who has to project himself and bully, but more the "alpha male" who has the ability to be dangerous, but is more stoic, has self-control, and is a genuinely nice person to be around.

Whether you are looking at a specific-type of martial arts discipline, or more the environment within the gym/dojo, I would visit a few places in your area and talk to the folks there,...then decide. You might find some places with more of a competitive, offensive, mixed-martial arts approach, and others with a more defensive, restrained, traditional approach. You decide which is more appropriate for you.

Real fighting isn't a game or a controlled sport.
The most important thing about fighting is being comfortable with deliberately damaging and hurting people, and not stopping if you are hurt in the process.

People with "Dark Triad" personality traits have a huge advantage there, and are also highly over-represented among bullies.

You have two different paths from here:
1. Solve your immediate problem
2. Prepare for the future by choosing a set of activities that will be fun, good for you in general, and perhaps help your fighting skills.

I suppose you imagine that it's practical to do both for something that's already in progress, but you're wrong.

Real fighting isn't a game or a controlled sport.
The most important thing about fighting is being comfortable with deliberately damaging and hurting people, and not stopping if you are hurt in the process.

People with "Dark Triad" personality traits have a huge advantage there, and are also highly over-represented among bullies.

You have two different paths from here:
1. Solve your immediate problem
2. Prepare for the future by choosing a set of activities that will be fun, good for you in general, and perhaps help your fighting skills.

I suppose you imagine that it's practical to do both for something that's already in progress, but you're wrong.
^^This^^

At some point, even within the confines of a dojo, you will have to spar with someone. You WILL get hit hard, tossed onto the mat, get pinned in some very uncomfortable positions, and injured. Count on that. With that comes a bit of acceptance of that reality, as well as, the mental drive to just absorb the pain and keep at it. To quote Sylvester Stallone, "Life,...it's not how hard you get hit, it's how hard you can be hit and still get up." Self-control and discipline. On the other hand, you too, will have that opportunity to do the same to your sparing partner, so again, you have to prepare yourself mentally for potentially injuring another person, even someone you might like. Hesitancy and holding back will always give the other person the advantage.

As @Hypnalis suggested, a real "street fight",...there are NO rules. Sometimes it's a "bite, scratch, and kick" scuffle,...and other times, someone's getting hurt seriously. Sometimes someone pulls out a weapon unexpectedly. Someone WILL finish the conflict,...you just make sure it's you.

Sometimes you run across that 1-3% of population that are true sociopaths and psychopaths that have no hesitancy to hurt you mental or physically. They only see you as "prey". As an autistic, who others perceive as "different", many people will see you as "prey". I think you already have a sense for that, so make sure that you are not.

So, again, having some martial arts training will teach you a lot about yourself, get your mindset right, and give you skills. Hopefully, you never have to use them in the real world,...and most people don't,...but the training goes well beyond the dojo in terms of self-confidence, discipline, and self-control.

Real life fighting:
head-butts, knees and elbows. Kicks to the groin, head-butt to the nose, fingers in the eyes, tear at the ears. Most fights outside of sport are from untrained individuals and 90% of those fights end up on the ground. Training yourself to strike to vital areas will make a big difference if someone is going to physically hurt you. Use force ONLY as a lot resort. Your brain is your best self-defence...use it. :)

Tai Chi is not a fighting art, but is great for exercise. I've trained in Tae Kwon Do, Wing Chun and traditional karate. In my experience, training MMA has helped me the most, physically and mentally. Since MMA encompasses all of the fighting arts, it will teach you how to deal with each situation...standup fighting or fighting on the ground. If you have ASD, tell them so they can understand your condition and help you the best they can.

It was difficult for me to deal with 20 people in a training room and rolling with people that I didn't know. I had to fight my own shortcomings just to get myself to walk through the door. Yet, I did it day after day and got my blue belt in BJJ. My instructor said I punch and kick with the power of a mule and now can rip off the arm of an opponent. It helped my self-confidence and ability to deal with physical situations. Your experience may be different.

Decide what's right for you. This is just my opinion. :)

I am a third degree black belt in Tang Soo Do. I haven’t taken any lessons since late 2019. I want to go back but I’m just far too busy.

You
Real life fighting:
head-butts, knees and elbows. Kicks to the groin, head-butt to the nose, fingers in the eyes, tear at the ears. Most fights outside of sport are from untrained individuals and 90% of those fights end up on the ground. Training yourself to strike to vital areas will make a big difference if someone is going to physically hurt you. Use force ONLY as a lot resort. Your brain is your best self-defence...use it. :)

Tai Chi is not a fighting art, but is great for exercise. I've trained in Tae Kwon Do, Wing Chun and traditional karate. In my experience, training MMA has helped me the most, physically and mentally. Since MMA encompasses all of the fighting arts, it will teach you how to deal with each situation...standup fighting or fighting on the ground. If you have ASD, tell them so they can understand your condition and help you the best they can.

It was difficult for me to deal with 20 people in a training room and rolling with people that I didn't know. I had to fight my own shortcomings just to get myself to walk through the door. Yet, I did it day after day and got my blue belt in BJJ. My instructor said I punch and kick with the power of a mule and now can rip off the arm of an opponent. It helped my self-confidence and ability to deal with physical situations. Your experience may be different.

Decide what's right for you. This is just my opinion. :)
Are incorrect about tai chi. But you need a good instructor. It is all about balance and flow of motion. Can be quite effective.

Learning ANY martial will help you so, so much.

Not because you learn to fight, because you will feel better. You'll feel so much better you'll never feel like you want to fight, or that the dumby giving you a hard time is worth the effort.

In other words - huge confidence in personal ability to act effectively in life.

Maybe you can find a group that practices outside.

If not, just get a heavy bag, a pair of gloves and handwraps, watch a video about punching, and start breaking a sweat. Within a week you will be able to punch so hard that most bullies will back off immediately when you confidently "assume the position" (hint: Bullies act all tough, but generally work entirely through intimidation and couldn't actually punch through a slice of bread).

I'm not violent. I learned to fight so I'd never feel like I had to, and I never have.

New Threads

Top Bottom