• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Maori term for Autism means 'in his/her own time and space'

sad if you are an autistic child !you will not be granted residency in New Zealand ,even though United Nations says disability should not debar you from being able to emigrate!.

Considering that some English speakers still use terms like "moron" frequently, and that terms used to describe neurodivergence have evolved into pejoratives like "autist" and "sperg", I think that the idea to coin less judgmental words in another language in order to head off such judgmentalism is wonderful. The word "autism" itself comes from Greek "autos" meaning "self" since the first doctor to notice it thought it was "withdrawal into the self". Considering that the word "autism" itself is widely used online as a pejorative meaning "weird" or "crazy" or "strange", I wonder if there's a cultural aspect too. "Autist" is perfectly acceptable in German, for example.

Considering that some English speakers still use terms like "moron" frequently, and that terms used to describe neurodivergence have evolved into pejoratives like "autist" and "sperg", I think that the idea to coin less judgmental words in another language in order to head off such judgmentalism is wonderful. The word "autism" itself comes from Greek "autos" meaning "self" since the first doctor to notice it thought it was "withdrawal into the self". Considering that the word "autism" itself is widely used online as a pejorative meaning "weird" or "crazy" or "strange", I wonder if there's a cultural aspect too. "Autist" is perfectly acceptable in German, for example.
autism with it's meaning makes more sense to me than 'takiwatanga'. I wouldn't want to have to remember that word. 'takiwatanga' sounds like a weird dance. :)
Is this the same country that you are only allowed to name your babies from a list of legal names?

autism with it's meaning makes more sense to me than 'takiwatanga'. I wouldn't want to have to remember that word. 'takiwatanga' sounds like a weird dance. :)
Is this the same country that you are only allowed to name your babies from a list of legal names?

I'm sure the word is more natural to native speakers of Maori. And that is the place with the traditional Haka dance (which I always love to watch).

I just like that they put some effort into finding a compassionate word.

Looks like New Zealand does ban certain names. So do several other countries.

I'm sure the word is more natural to native speakers of Maori. And that is the place with the traditional Haka dance (which I always love to watch).

I understand all that. I don't mean to sound like I'm putting it down. I just didn't realize that autism was an offensive word in it's true meaning and why the need to come up with a new word. What is autism in that language? I like hearing other languages, but I've never been able to learn any other language, and naturally, some of the words are going to sound funny to me because I'm relating them to what it sounds like in my own language. Truly mean no offense, And I also didn't mean the name thing as an insult, and while I'm not crazy about the thought of anyone telling me what I can name my own child, I also realize that in this country names have gotten out of hand and seems like a large amount of the population is trying desperately to avoid any names that's already on the books.

it’s sad after all the effort the Maori have put in that the government are banning autistic people from emigrating to the country

I understand all that. I don't mean to sound like I'm putting it down. I just didn't realize that autism was an offensive word in it's true meaning and why the need to come up with a new word. What is autism in that language? I like hearing other languages, but I've never been able to learn any other language, and naturally, some of the words are going to sound funny to me because I'm relating them to what it sounds like in my own language. Truly mean no offense, And I also didn't mean the name thing as an insult, and while I'm not crazy about the thought of anyone telling me what I can name my own child, I also realize that in this country names have gotten out of hand and seems like a large amount of the population is trying desperately to avoid any names that's already on the books.

Please, I didn't mean to make you feel bad. No need to apologize at all. It's difficult to read tone and attitude through text. I think we just got our wires crossed - my fault at least as much as yours.

I don't know if they found the English word "autism" offensive. Maybe they didn't want to just import the English word into the Maori language (keeping the language "pure", maybe?), so they had to come up with their own word.

Please, I didn't mean to make you feel bad. No need to apologize at all. It's difficult to read tone and attitude through text. I think we just got our wires crossed - my fault at least as much as yours.

I don't know if they found the English word "autism" offensive. Maybe they didn't want to just import the English word into the Maori language (keeping the language "pure", maybe?), so they had to come up with their own word.
Maybe it’s because people think it’s a death sentence if they hear the word autism so the native New Zealanders want to make it positive

Te reo Māori is its own language, I'm glad they have a word of their own for autistic people. I think it will help autistic Māori feel more accepted and understood within their own community.

Sometimes they import English words into te reo Māori pretty directly, but they have quite different sounds and less consonants than English so need to adapt (eg. Aporo for Apple, Panana for Banana) and I don't think it would be possible with the word 'autism' or 'autistic' because they don't have an 's' sound and their words always end in a vowel.

Unfortunately, I suspect that any new word that you come up with that's supposed to be more respectful will be turned into a pejorative by these same people. I remember when I was in school, "retarded" was just being phased out as a legitimate word/diagnosis and was being seen as the insult that it's now seen as. We weren't allowed to say "the r word" and in general, it was treated like any other curse word at school.

So the people who held the attitudes which permeate the word "retarded" started using "special" as a pejorative instead (referring to "special needs").

This has happened with a few other words over the years (you've given a couple examples in your own post) and will probably continue to happen...change in words can happen relatively quickly, but change in attitude happens slowly. People who want to express something unsavory will find a way to express it with "approved" words.

Unfortunately, I suspect that any new word that you come up with that's supposed to be more respectful will be turned into a pejorative by these same people. I remember when I was in school, "retarded" was just being phased out as a legitimate word/diagnosis and was being seen as the insult that it's now seen as. We weren't allowed to say "the r word" and in general, it was treated like any other curse word at school.

So the people who held the attitudes which permeate the word "retarded" started using "special" as a pejorative instead (referring to "special needs").

This has happened with a few other words over the years (you've given a couple examples in your own post) and will probably continue to happen...change in words can happen relatively quickly, but change in attitude happens slowly. People who want to express something unsavory will find a way to express it with "approved" words.
I think it depends on the culture in the country I think in the Hindu culture a child being different is seen as a blessing in certain cultures in certain countries aren’t toxic

I think it depends on the culture in the country I think in the Hindu culture a child being different is seen as a blessing in certain cultures in certain countries aren’t toxic

I definitely agree that it depends on the culture.

New Threads

Top Bottom