• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

man made pharmaceuticals vs natural medicine?

kchapman1988

is it just me or have western nations lost our working personal knowledge and belief in natural and herbal medicine? for many thousands of years we used plants for healing and keeping us healthy, individual people knew what plant could be used to do what was needed and what it looked like.

while i am not saying pills are bad the dependance on man made drugs has made us weary or outright distrust the power of herbs. no hippies dont have it right saying 'natural medical alternatives are all you need' but maybe knowing what natural products may help when you can't take the pills or the benefit would not be there in a processed form.

while looking on the next may yeild the info most people would not look for it, content in whatever can be had at the supermarket, what if you could boost your body in a natural way aswell? give it more to fight the problem WITH ? fuel the fight rather than just mask the symptoms you find it hard to live with?

Man made pharmaceuticals tend to kill people. From overdosing due to stupidity, or mistake because of drug interactions. Why not use natural medicine's that won't kill, let alone harm you when you take all you have at once? Maybe they are actually trying to lower the population by making life difficult - and giving society an easy way out. Pills. It's really stupid, just like the oil industries preventing us from having cars that run on water, or even have more fuel efficient cars, the pharmaceutical companies are preventing us from taking medications that will actually do us real good.

i've seen things like st john's wart in the shops (got some today to see if it will help) i was initially put off because it sounds like some old guy's wart that's been cut off, chopped up and dried. i've met very few people that don't disparage herbal medicine, people in other countries actually know how to get and use these things for free and we think its bollocks. the drug companies have really done a number on us

I have had medical training...natural herbs are useful when the equivalent pharmaceutical is unavailable. But natural sources vary in potency and purity, which makes pharmaceuticals better if they are available.

I have had medical training...natural herbs are useful when the equivalent pharmaceutical is unavailable. But natural sources vary in potency and purity, which makes pharmaceuticals better if they are available.

Pharmaceuticals put in a dash of stupid to their pills as well. I took a Pharmacy Technician course to learn about the action of medications on the body (mostly the brain). I have also tried various medications (anxiolytics, anti-depressants, beta-blockers and stimulants), and none of them do more good then bad. There is always long term issues, risk of overdose, destroying your liver because your resistance goes up so you take more and more. Personally I'm obviously against pills now. Also, Prozac (Fluoxetine) is (according to some studies) over 90% fluoride. Yummy! Let's get to work calcifying our pineal glands!

Many plants are toxic and you need to trust your source for natural herbs. Unscrupulous companies will adulterate and mislabel their products.

The problem I have with natural treatments is the way natural has become an advertizing buzzword that can be easily misconstrued. Many products say they are 'made with' natural ______. I can whip up a veritable chemical stew, add in a drop or 2 of natural_____ & make this claim. Cosmetics firms are some of the worst offenders here. Also, the public has never been properly educated about this word natural & many mistakenly equate it with safe & innocuous. This is a potentially lethal misunderstanding. For example, every year, several babies die because parents use oil of cloves directly on the gums for teething pain. Essential oil of clove is very highly concentrated & can easily kill a baby. The a frozen safely sized teething ring is the better option as is a tiny dab of pharmaceutical preparation ANBESOL.

Pure unadulterated 100% natural essential oils of certain herbs (oregano, parsley etc.) regularly used in cooling or on salads contain alarming & lethal levels of ketones due to how highly concentrated they are. Even the small bottles sold over the counter at most every pharmacy contain enough to kill an adult! They are sold to anyone without any safety information (or what to do if accidentally consumed) & the who e natural umbrella gives them a false halo. Some can induce hypothermia, migraines or even miscarriage by causing the uterus to spasm!

Aslo, as Loomis pointed out, mislabelling is a serious problem as is the lack of oversight, It may shock you to learn that there is no oversight in the compounding of these herbal medicines. You or I could be preparing them in an unhygienic basement worktable using un-gloved hands & LIE blatantly about what I put in it. Another danger is that few natural preparations have ever been subjected to rigorous scientific evaluation. Read the wording on many websites (reputable ones even) selling herbal medicines: they'll say that _________ is believed to be helpful for________. They say_________ is thought to be or is said to be 'good for'_________. This misleading usage of language is basically a lie.

The distrust many members here feel towards pharmaceutical corporations is one I share; a relative died because of VIOXX, an Arthritis medication that was later found to cause heart attacks even in people with no history of cardiac problems. A side effect from something I was given almost killed me too.

FOLKLORE & our tendency to romanticize the past has substituted itself for real verifiable data about how herbal preparations were used in the past, whether they really did heal many wounds, prevent or cure or treat any illnesses. In many cultures reliant upon these preparations without medical doctors, people have high mortality rates. Maternal mortality & infant mortality rates are astronomical compared to rates in industrialized countries. We've assumed that people who relied upon herbal medications lived well because of it. In truth, looking even today at such populations, we draw this misleading & false conclusion. Look again: few people are elderly & those who are are often revered. Why? Because so few people make it that long! You'll see few people with congenital disabilities & people seem mysteriously 'whole'. This is because many tribes immediately destroy any infants born bearing any disability: even minor ones like a cleft lip that Drs in the west can easily treat.

Dying in childbirth is epidemic in these cultures as well. Right now Nepal is working hard to build maternity hospitals & provide women there with access to prenatal care, vitamins & post-natal care. Until the advent of modern medicine in the west, death in childbirth was the leading cause of death amongst women (right into the 1920s: now, it's homicide by the father of the fetus-but I digress...)

I'd love nothing more than to see a day when we could truly rely on herbal natural preparations when those terms would mean reliable, consistent, SAFE & bio-compatible. We're not there yet. I'm not exonerating pharmaceuticals at all: they're the lesser of 2 evils right now.

I'm using what is known about certain vitamins, foods, minerals & other practices to support my health but, sadly, the field of herbal medicines is a hotbed of quackery at present.

I take it that natural medicine is the absence of introducing new plant-based chemicals into the body, while modern medicine involves pills and radioactive treatment, and all other treatment that introduces new chemicals to the body.

My parents, being Chinese physicians, are proponents of natural medicine. My parents, though, recognise that the mainstream of today's healthcare is man-made pharmaceuticals. They did briefly considered sending me to do pharmaceutical sciences in University, but they got talked out of it by their profession-oriented mindset - I can only go to University and do pharmacy, at most.

I had benefited from natural medicine, and indeed, man-made pharmaceuticals had ruined my life - I'd never been energetic ever since I took Prozac, for example - but then, certain things to consider:

Acupuncture is a common treatment method for Traditional Chinese Medicine.

If natural medicine means poking needles into the human body, just to achieve some improvements in one's functioning levels, do you ever feel the internal pain of the body that just hurts, more than heals, one's body? It doesn't help if your parents do so, and play those Buddhist scripture sometimes just to heal your body. I learnt to be passively aggressive under my parents - the psychological impact of being undergoing a proven, but little-known (in the West, at least) treatment doesn't really help things in an Aspie.

I think both sorts of medicine has its pros and cons. But mostly more cons than pros.

In the case of flu, fever etc., yep, all sorts of treatments are good. But too much of a good thing may not be good, whether it is natural medicine's alternative methods without inducing new chemicals, or the relatively pain-free but still harmful and mind-stifling medications.

My town has a Chinese population that is very large & growing. As such, traditional Chinese medical practitioners are establishing themselves here too & many people of non-Chinese medicine are seeking treatments from these doctors. Acupuncture is popular all over Montreal & our suburbs & many swear by it for everything from chronic to acute pain, to childbirth & even facial rejuvenation!

What I'd like to see happen is more collaboration between western & Asian medical schools (like Chinese medicine & Ayurveda from India). Also, patients need access to reliable information about these options. One of the best forms of medicine, valued in the East, is PREVENTATIVE medicine! We folks in the west are really only seriously looking into this now. Many of us eat terrible food that really isn't even food, get little exercise, poor sleep & indulge in a host of unhealthy practices only to go into shock when we find out that we have an encyclopaedia of complications & diseases! Connecting the choices we make throughout the day to overall health & long term health-related outcomes is something that requires discipline & mindfulness. But, so many people are caught up in their busy lives that they're eating on the run from vending machines, fast food outlets & processed pre-packaged chemical food. Along with that comes the smoking, excessive coffee, snacking on crap & 'energy' drinks & alcohol.

If we pull our heads out of our @$$es, we can get out of denial & take responsibility for our well being & perhaps not have frequent need for doctors of any kind!

Indeed, despite my misgivings about Chinese medicine, I do agree that preventive medicine is an area future healthcare systems should work on.

Ultimately, our greatest misgiving needs to shift against resenting this or that form of medicine or railing against big pharma, insurance companies or what-have-you. We must turn that critical thinking towards advertizers & food providers who are stuffing grocery store shelves with food that is, in many cases, of absolutely no nutritional value. Few of us have the privilege of being truly self-sustaining & empowered to truly control what foods we can access & choose to eat.

Between food manufacturers, providers, grocers & advertizers, the odds are stacked against even the informed consumer. Hippocrates said, "Let food be thy medicine & medicine be thy food." He said this c. 440 BCE. THIS ISN'T NEW INFORMATION! Chinese doctors have been screaming this at us stubborn humans for literally thousands of years. I feel badly for families who are struggling but want to eat well: the healthiest foods cost a fortune compared to cheap sugar/starch/preservative/sodium-filled pre-packaged fare. Poverty combines with a lack of health related education to ensure that poor children in the west eat the worst foods: empty calories. Many are both obese AND malnourished at the same time! THEN they end up taking chemical pills sometimes with more side effects than benefits. We humans are doing things backwards!

Man, how did that happen? I know how hard it is to get accepted into vet school. That is awful.

There is a lot of politics in vet school, and aspies are lousy politicians. I spoke my opinion a little to freely, and was not much liked by anyone.

I'm sorry to heat that, Smith2267. You're so right about us being poor politicians. Despite their claims of fostering critical thinking (something we Aspies tend to be good at such as spotting BS & all things illogical immediately) academic institutions are ultra conservative maintainers & perpetuators of the status quo.

OTT: We are poor politicians, so either we accept a worse outcome, or we say, we give up temporarily and we'll do other things for the time being. Anyway, I think this forum may give fantastic support for all of us. You'll always have our support in AC.

BTT: I find healthy food more expensive in Singapore, too. This is why I spend more than others in terms of spending in food. But every cent is worth it. I feel fresher with fresh food. Perhaps it could even reduce medical costs, in the long run.

Let food and nature be our medicine!

The way I make up for the difference in cost for buying healthy food is by cutting out a lot of careless spending we were doing elsewhere. We keep everything not directly in use unplugged. Even when turned off, anything plugged in is consuming electricity needlessly. I'm careful with hot water: no 25 minute showers. We've switched many items to store brands that can be bought in bulk at sometimes 40% to 50% savings. For food, I buy what is in season & locally grown in spring, summer & fall. In winter, this becomes impossible We also grow many things in the yard. Might as well put the space to good use! All our lights are the long usage energy saving kind as are all windows (we replaced the less efficient ones) & appliances. We only wash clothing in cold water too. This has greatly reduced our heat/electricity bill.

We also cut out a lot of our incidentals bill. At one point a few years ago I woke up out of denial & saw how much unnecessary junk we'd bought over the years. What WAS all that stuff? There & then, I became a minimalist. So much stuff got recycled or sent to goodwill that it was nuts. It seemed like the house had literally lost weight!

Een people on a tight budget often discover areas where they've been leaking out money (comic books, expensive coffees every day, fast food...) There are usually things they can cut back on to make healthy eating more affordable.

One of the problems with "natural" or "herbal" remedies is that they don't have the consistency that drugs manufactured in a laboratory do. Depending on the conditions it faces, a plant will produce more or less of certain chemicals. So it is much harder to get the precise dose.

Also, you may not be aware of this, but in the US "natural" remedies are not regulated as strictly as pharmaceuticals. So if you go to the health food store and buy a bottle of herbal something you may or may not be getting what the bottle says is in it. Many of these products also do not undergo the rigorous safety and efficacy testing that their so-called "unnatural" counterparts must have. As a result the alternative medicine field is filled with quacks and quack remedies.

I do think we need to use our educated judgement when it comes to using medications whether natural or man-made. However. I see people blindly bashing "big pharma" when they haven't a clue as to how the industry really works and that really bothers me. I suppose if I didn't work in the industry I'd probably join them too because that seems to be the easy and safe thing to do.

New Threads

Top Bottom