• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Making a videogame

Inator

mad author
Making videogames has been my biggest dream since my very early childhood, and I have hardly focused on anything else. So far I'm obsessed with creating an ambitious Sonic the Hedgehog fangame on the Sega Genesis/Megadrive console and the arcade board Sega MegaPlay.
I take care of most of the internal programming, "visual effects" and some art assets (animation, menus, tilesets, backgrounds.. but not "sprites"), a friend of me (possibly Aspie; who I will name "Dex") will help with the in-level objects programming and some more art assets and sprites, and a second friend will help with the soundtrack (who I will name "Munyainin").

We all have worked on the area for around 5 years if not more. Dex and me were members of a "ROMhacking team", and we helped on whatever project was ever going at the time. We had our own projects going on as well, but the team's work was always a priority and sometimes we had to leave our own behind. Our leader was very critic and a bit strict on his exigence, but I assumed it was fine, as with the time we all became gradually more and more professional-

One day, our group's leader decided to put Dex's personal project on high priority. Everything went just fine at first, until they went on disagreements with the game's ownership. The quality of Dex's work began to decay drastically, release date was about to peak, and the game is just a glitchy disaster. Not to the point of being "unplayable", but it was a let down to most of who played a prototype we released for a contest. Compare it to the bad animation seen in Dragon Ball Super Ep 5; it barely holds up, but it does wrong. The "final" version had to come two weeks later, and giving it the proper stability and quality it required was next to impossible. I gave up to a lot of exams from University, skipped lots of classes, and one day I spent more than 48 hours without sleep, just on helping to fix glitches, writing "game bosses" and cutscenes, and overall, complete a remaining 30% of missing game plan in record time.
The final version had mixed reception: The game itself played stable (our primary goal, yay), but the audiovisual quality was full of ups and downs, with very good and very bad looking graphics or animations from time to time. "Funny game, but sometimes feels like a draft of a better game".

After the game's disastrous release, Dex left the group and I did myself shortly after for the same reasons. We kept contact, but we didn't felt satisfect so we are trying to do our own games again, by ourselves only. One issue: Dex is fully capable of completing a project to the end, and I don't. Dex does very good pixel-based artwork, and I'm only learning yet. I dominate very well the console system and can push the hardware to its limits if I put enough effort, but Dex only handle the "general" reigns so far.
After many months, only a few days ago, I talked about this situation with Dex and Munyainin, and we agreed to mix our projects and continue from there, with the only condition that we all are our own leaders; no "power" hierarchy at all. Nothing besides the approval has yet happened though, so I'm still quite nervous of a possible "no" in the last moment, probably in fear to fall into the same of our past game or similar reasons (??).

All I ever wanted since I have memory, is give fun by having fun. I want the people to get amazed of my work and to how it is done. I want to make people happier in some way or another. That is my only personal gain with this. If I success on getting all us to work on the same cause and take care that ambience is free of stress and internal pressure, I'm sure we are capable of creating the very best game our community has ever seen! A technical achievement, a very delicate art. We are only three people, but I'm sure we have this opportunity to do things properly, and have fun by giving fun. And an unique opportunity to fulfill my deepest dream.

Issue is, the amount of sacrifice is insane. My score isn't enough in University, so I will have to quit by this Semester's end. I will get highly critized at home. My brain is quite fried already. My mom won't accept "vague people" in the house, so I'll have to get a job (until I re-enter to Uni). If I get to University again, I'd need to take much more care to not screw it up; so I will have to say bye to my dear Sega Genesis to fully focus on my studies.
I have a very tiny opportunity to success, at the cost of my own mental health.
Now, is it WORTH the matter?

New Threads

Top Bottom