• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Love’s not easy, But I Can Handle It.

Friend4any1

To Cowabunga And Beyod!
Once, I was a Netflix member, and I found one DVD set they offered; “Fantastic Four: The Animated Series”. Select episodes introduced beings known as “Inhumans” and one of them called Crystal. I don’t blame Johnny (The Human Torch) for falling for her.

I even stumbled upon a webpage reviewing I think) the love story within the Fantastic Four comics.

The following includes quotes from said webpage and my review of something or other.

“NOT JUST A LOVE INTEREST!

Crystal is the most interesting and complex character of all

Crystal was the deepest and most multidimensional character in the Marvel Universe”

That’s promising by storytelling and character developing standards, of course, and I wouldn’t want just anybody to love; we all would want someone interesting.

“All the main elements of Romeo and Juliet are present in Crystal's first appearance:

1. This is a fairytale story of true love (which must therefore involve tragic separation and eventual reconciliation)
  2. She is lonely, and does not fit in with her people. Her family is dangerous.
  3. She has a sheltered life but wants to understand the outside world.
  4. She is a woman of passion”
Okay, I’ve known since I was 9 (at least began to know) that one can’t live in a “fairy tale”, but that’s not important. I know the story of Romeo and Juliet, I CAN be a sucker for romance, even though I had ZERO experience with relationships, and the “truth in fiction” scenario in select stories I’ve known gave me a rough idea about these things, and I can relate to some of these scenarios here.

“She is lonely, and does not fit in with her people”. I’m in one local group of vegans, but most are sceptic about the world around us, while I (as I agree with the lifestyle) am an optimist. Other people whom I don’t quite fit in is the rest of my family; they’re omnivores (except for 1 cousin who’s vegetarian) & I’m a vegan and they SAY they “understand”, they SAY “I know” but they’re so used to the status quo, so addicted to these animal derived “foods” they determinedly turn a blind eye to what I dared to see, no matter how disagreeable, uncomfortable and terrifying it is. I was even nudged to help this church (of which my Dad and I are current members) make turkey sandwiches one Thanksgiving morning. TURKEY! It’s a wonder I kept my cool that day! I even get into seafood places with Dad when we’re out of town or get visits from others. Yes, I found something fitting for me, but still, that’s embarrassing, insulting and humiliating!

“She has a sheltered life but wants to understand the outside world”. My dad gave me a sheltered life considering my diagnosis of Asperger’s, ADHD and OCD, with a roommate and these residential aids, and I appreciated it, but it can be so frustrating sometimes; it’s like the only way I can be my own man is either my signature on paper, or else being in bed or using a bathroom. I’ve been anxious for a lifestyle that doesn’t strictly involve such business. You know, I’d just put a mint in my mouth and move on; no strict need of notes for that.

“She is a woman of passion”. If you asked me, choosing to be a vegan ought to make me a MAN of passion. It IS passionate and COMPASSIONATE to do the right thing, or MY idea of the right thing; growing up with “He-Man” and later “The Lorax” can really give one a good idea of ethics, you know.

“Not just intelligent, but well read”. I like that in a woman!

“Crystal always puts family first” and rightly so. I would do that too, even though my own family and I don’t see eye to eye when it comes to food (among other things). Nobody’s perfect, of course. Furthermore, in later comic issues, Crystal becomes a mom. I love children, don’t get me wrong, but I don’t have that parenting gift. So, naturally, I’d want a real woman with the same heart AND preferences.

“The tragedy (1): Johnny let her go”

“The tragedy (2): Johnny cannot handle the emotional torment”

“The tragedy (3): Johnny reacts in the worst possible way
We just saw that Johnny reacts to frustration with violence. But Crystal is pure, loving, naturally gentle. Although she can show great power, she only uses it when absolutely necessary. Johnny's willingness to use violence just pushes pure, loving Crystal further away.”
Okay, now comes the part where a love story (whether or not within a superhero series) *must* have complications. In terms of storytelling character development, all that is fine, but I would NOT want those circumstances in my life. Besides, I’m not bratty like Johnny Storm (The Human Torch), I don’t act so stupid and violent when frustrated. Well, I admit when I was a teenager, there WERE moments, but that’s youth for you. Having someone “loving and naturally gentle” can lead me to a “Parting Is Such Sweet Sorrow” state of mind when my “Miss Right” and I can’t be together, but I would numb my feelings with movies, cartoons and books (to name a few) before she’s back in my arms and I can again have her lips upon mine; I would not cross a line through silly assumptions leading to disagreements, I would never go to a bar and take my frustration out on other people, and I would not make her angrily state “If you want to behave like a barbarian, I’ll TREAT you like a barbarian”
My point is: I know who I am, and I know what type of woman with whom I would share the rest of my life; preferably no royal/noble blood, no family that can be like Capulets while mine become Montagues.

New Threads

Top Bottom