• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Love is really a disease!

Funny, I was thinking that we need to have a thread for all those - "Once and for all". And let everyone give their opinions once and for all and paste the thread. It does seem like it's always the same. They fall in love and think they can handle whatever comes, only to find that they can't. I think we need to come with a warning sticker.
Do not expect us to fulfill all your desires. (we don't pick up on subtle hints)
Do not even attempt if you need certain actions to feel loved. (we have our own unique expressions of love)
If you feel slightly lonely in the beginning, it is not going to improve.
Expect to share us with our interests.
We have a difficult time living in your world, so expect to live in mine.

I'm not blaming NT's for falling for someone on the spectrum, but 9 times out of 10, it ends the same way. If we had the warning sticker, maybe it'd save a lot of heart break. And I understand that many on the spectrum seem attractive, partly due to their differences than most. I remember always being told, "You're so different than all the other girls." Yep, we are, and that needs to be a warning, not an asset.

WARNING: Autistic. :confused: May Break Down at Anytime. Watch out for Meltdowns, and other suspicious activity.

Does That work? Was also thinking it should have a yellow triangular warning sign with and exclamation point to denote the severity of the situation.

Funny, I was thinking that we need to have a thread for all those - "Once and for all". And let everyone give their opinions once and for all and paste the thread. It does seem like it's always the same. They fall in love and think they can handle whatever comes, only to find that they can't. I think we need to come with a warning sticker.
Do not expect us to fulfill all your desires. (we don't pick up on subtle hints)
Do not even attempt if you need certain actions to feel loved. (we have our own unique expressions of love)
If you feel slightly lonely in the beginning, it is not going to improve.
Expect to share us with our interests.
We have a difficult time living in your world, so expect to live in mine.

I'm not blaming NT's for falling for someone on the spectrum, but 9 times out of 10, it ends the same way. If we had the warning sticker, maybe it'd save a lot of heart break. And I understand that many on the spectrum seem attractive, partly due to their differences than most. I remember always being told, "You're so different than all the other girls." Yep, we are, and that needs to be a warning, not an asset.

mm I get a lot of what I call 'ghost of the ideal woman' responses from NT men, but I ain't nobody's (mature-age, these days) dream girl.

Sometimes people change and preferences change. Many people are (superficially) picky. Some cause they can be and sometimes some people can get overwhelmed with their options and/or they take seriously what they can end up with.

A disease? I guess it can be if you feel like you need to find a partner just to have a partner and not as much to try to make a quality match of it.

It's not a sickness... nature is just smarter than a bunch of apes. After all... it's nature that made the apes in the first place. They talk about social progress, ethics, opposable thumbs and consciousness all the time, but dope them up and tell them it's sacred and they revert back to the good little animals that they actually are.

"Do you promise to support this women, in infidelity and in mental illness, in financial irresponsibility and in toilet seat arguments? Do you agree to forfeit all human rights, to live in servitude until the day she dies?"
If you say "Yes" to that then... I think something is wrong... and it isn't love I'm talking about.

By the way... aren't you being a bit of a white knight? Women getting annoyed and angry at you when you marry them is like part of the deal, every guy knows that.

Think two mature individuals should always discuss and keep each other in the loop because honesty is healthier, and even though you may not like what you hear at least you can still respect the individual. l have never been in love with love, which means l don't search for that at all. Some men are very disappointed to find l can't be duped with the romance scam. Some men tell me that must be looking to get married. Hey, was married for 18 years, don't need to prove anything to anyone. But 15 years of abuse make me sit up and take a pulse and think, l applied for a relationship and walked away from a con. Now l don't take men that seriously but l appreciate honesty.

No. They guy isn't the same. They change. It's a horrible thing to experience.

This man who wanted to spend time with you, who smiled at you, who wanted to be around you, loses interest. You are no longer his special interest and he couldn't care less about you.

It really hurts and you don't know why he stopped showing you love.

I think the concept of love has become twisted in our culture. Love has become infatuation and eros love, it is that Disney, my heart skips a beat stuff that is nice when it is there but is not sustainable in the long term.

Love though isnt just that, love is a choice of will too, to put another before ourselves and to stick with them even when it is hard. Our culture doesnt do that part so well now, infatuation is sought and the person abandoned if it is found elsewhere.

New Threads

Top Bottom