• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

loud noises

For de-stressing, l like sitting in darkness. l like showers in the dark. l feel soothed like in a sumptuous spa. I will play some song l like over and over. Now l lay down a lot and relax.☺

I don’t deal well with smoke detectors or security alarms going off but once they subside, I feel fine. My radio/alarm clock sounds like a fart that could go on forever (not purposefully, it’s just old and not set on a proper channel) until I turn it off. Without it, I wouldn’t get out of bed.

When it comes to loud music, I can tolerate it as long as it’s not stupidly loud and if it’s music I actually enjoy. If it’s stupidly loud and music that I don’t like, such as popular country or rap or pop, I get immediate endorphin withdrawal.

Last edited:
I totally agree when tested and found out was autistic with dd remembered as child when mom got the vac out would run to the couch and pound my head.The loud sounds and bright lights still send me into a letdown.

Honestly, loud sounds aren't super awful to me. I think my tolerance is higher than most aspies, but not as high as most NTs.

I've been helping mom with some wood crafting lately, and as long as I turn off my hearing aids, the noise of the drill and saws don't bother me too much. I mean, the saws are annoying, but I can bear them. The sander though... I tried, but I needed my mom to use that while I stood a ways away. WAY too loud, yet she's out there without even any ear protection.

Bright lights are just awful though, especially if they're flashing or flickering. And they're doing road work on the highway I take to work, which means passing by the flashing lights of the police cars and the utility cars at night. Ow.

I’m the weirdo who has sensory issues with showers, instead of finding them soothing in any way, much the opposite:) (closest icon I could find to indicate a light-hearted tone).

Me too, like to imagine it's a waterfall on a deserted tropical island ٩(˘◡˘)۶
Me too, like to imagine it's a waterfall on a deserted tropical island ٩(˘◡˘)۶

l think we would be friends. We have so many similarities. lol
l am sure you are super busy. But any time you wish to pm me, l would be honored. l consider you super neat in a high school way.

I can be sensitive to lights or sounds, but it depends. Bright sunlight bothers me the most. I end up squinting a lot if I'm outside on sunny days (I'm sure people passing by wonder what's wrong with me :p), and before I realized I'm autistic I thought I just had sensitive eyes.

Some kinds of loud sounds bother me, too. I'm okay with sirens, but any kind of loud buzzing can quickly become overwhelming. Doubly so if it's unexpected.

I can be sensitive to lights or sounds, but it depends. Bright sunlight bothers me the most. I end up squinting a lot if I'm outside on sunny days (I'm sure people passing by wonder what's wrong with me :p), and before I realized I'm autistic I thought I just had sensitive eyes.
Same here. But instead of just squinting, I usually also have one eye closed, usually my right eye. I've given up on that and have started wearing sunglasses as needed, even if it's fairly dark outside.

Some kinds of loud sounds bother me, too. I'm okay with sirens, but any kind of loud buzzing can quickly become overwhelming. Doubly so if it's unexpected.
I've always had trouble with sun light and just never knew why until tested sounds are not usually as bad.

Oh yeah, it can be pretty bad.

Worst for me was one time when I was at a convention. For context, at these events you're almost guaranteed to be physically run down before the first day even ends. They are tiring and there is a ton of activity. And lots of caffeinated geeks, which creates chaos and stress. And for some people, well... too much caffeine leads to bad sleep. So, MORE tired.

So imagine, the second day, partway through, the fire alarm goes off. Note, this is in a gigantic hotel. And I'm up on like floor 10. Hotel fire alarms are LOUD. Really loud. So, dealing with that, and then step outside of the room, look down from the balcony, and it's just total chaos. Go through the steps of evacuation, go and stand outside with a bazillion people. And, I'm in costume at this point, and that outfit is... definitely not designed for warmth (arms and legs are bare), and it's winter outside, because of course it is. My cousin who was with me handed me his jacket to use, not exactly a winter coat (mine was in my car, you see, which I assume made sense at the time, and my car was in the attached parking garage, 5 floors up). So, go stand outside in that, very cold, colorful chaos, for like 10 minutes. Go back in. Get warmed up, ready to go back out into the convention and do things that dont suck.

.....20 minutes later, fire alarm goes off again, before I've left the room. Repeat earlier scenario. Do this AGAIN then about an hour after that. I tell ya, I learned NOT to leave my coat in the car ever after this.

Whole thing was that some useless turdbomb kept pulling the alarm for teh lulz. Eventually this stopped, I'm not sure what they did to prevent it or if the idiot just decided to stop. But it was pretty bad.

As much as I like conventions, there's always some amount of intrusive chaos (like the time an elevator crashed at a fortunately small hotel, so there was paramedics barreling through the insanity, causing more insanity, complete with LOTS of flashing lights outside. That hotel was... something else). So you're at least somewhat stressed out BEFORE anything loopy occurs. So yeah, that's fun.

Another thing I've trouble with: my phone suddenly SHRIEKING if something like an amber alert is sent out. You cant set it to not do that; if that alert goes out and the thing isnt out of power it WILL react. That's fun when I'm sitting here in the basement with the lights dimmed watching some horror thing on Youtube. Lots of fun. Fun fun fun.
Yeah, there was the time I decided it would be a good idea to go to a concert with friends. Total shutdown and nonverbal.
Then there was the time I went to the homecoming dance and they had strobe lights with blaring music.
And then there’s my Misophonia that induces panic attacks at home.
After bringing this up with my father, he refused to get me noise canceling headphones because they would be a “crutch”. Thanks Dad.

I remember a friend of mine asked me to a company her in her band's rehearsal and I didn't last 10 minutes there (it was heavy metal) and I got dizzy and felt sick, had to spend the rest of the rehearsal outside, waiting on the pavement, because it was far from home and I didn't know how to come back by myself. Other musical styles also hurt me, noises in otherwise quiet rooms drive me insane, any wet sound (like, my dog licking something) stress me and make me feel like screaming, loud motorcycles too, but they at least come and go fast. As for visual, I can't stand things that are too bright and colourful, it feels like a light cannon being pointed directly at my eyes, neon colours are THE WORST.

Sometimes when I'm out and about I'll hear a sudden loud noise that kind of sticks in my head for a while after the noise happened. Like today someone dropped a box of jars at the store, and I swear I could hear it for several seconds afterwards.

Sometimes when I'm out and about I'll hear a sudden loud noise that kind of sticks in my
head for a while after the noise happened. Like today someone dropped a box of jars at the store,
and I swear I could hear it for several
seconds afterwards.

I've had that but with vision, a camera flash - horrible!

I had to leave a standing music concert before, I was okay at ones where I was sitting.

I was remembering about music concerts were I was sitting again, some were okay but sometimes if other fans were chatting to me I would find it tricky and I would be a bit anxious. I remember a concert where the music artist was really interacting with the audience and most of the audience in the venue were standing and dancing a bit, I was enjoyiong it too, (the artist is one of my favourite music artists) but one audience member, I thought
seemed to mock slightly fans who were standing and dancing a bit, I couldn't understand that

New Threads

Top Bottom