• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

loud noises

Last night as I was making dinner in front of a large window that looks out into my backyard, there were sudden loud booming noises and bright flashes of light. I really thought for a second we were at war. It turned out it was just a jerk neighbor with fireworks. I still feel traumatized just thinking about it.

I also struggle with light sensitivity.

I also can't stand loud noises. When i am sitting and suddenly a mobile phone rings or notifications cling, i jump from my sit. When i am tired my ears ring,then i can't withstand any noise and i am feeling very irritated. My ears ring usually after a loud noise that i find stressful. Most irritating noises for me are when our neigbor uses his electric saw.He has a hobby of cutting things.

I went to a burger place the other day, and it was so loud I could barely function. Wouldn't have been quite so bad normally, but I was having a bad day, which can make sensory issues worse.

I went to a burger place the other day, and it was so loud I could barely function. Wouldn't have been quite so bad normally, but I was having a bad day, which can make sensory issues worse.
When i go to crowded places i am listening to music through my earbuds, it blocks the noise and eases my anxiety of being around people. I was thinking to buy noise cancelling earbuds,but then Covid came and i am much less out.

Is your sleep affected from noises?

I am a light sleeper and i can walk up from noises in my house that come from my parents,when they walk up earlier than me or from noises outside. Almost all times if the noise won't stop shortly after, i can't sleep again.

I have sleep problems anyway but where I stay in my block is often noisy and outside my ground floor window, the worst is late at night and when it's very noisy

When i go to crowded places i am listening to music through my earbuds, it blocks the noise and eases my anxiety of being around people. I was thinking to buy noise cancelling earbuds,but then Covid came and i am much less out.
I don't have (or really need) noise-cancelling headphones, but I do have a pair of regular bluetooth headphones that I usually take to the store with me. I don't usually have issues being in public, but I still like listening to music; it kind of helps me feel grounded.

But I have to take them off when I go to a coffee place or something, 'cause I need to be able to hear when they're calling my order.

Is your sleep affected from noises?

I am a light sleeper and i can walk up from noises in my house that come from my parents,when they walk up earlier than me or from noises outside. Almost all times if the noise won't stop shortly after, i can't sleep again.

I'm a light sleeper myself, but I'm also hard of hearing and sleep without my hearing aids, so it takes a bit of noise to wake me. Light or touch (like when my cats climb into bed with me) wake me pretty easily though.

I don't have (or really need) noise-cancelling headphones, but I do have a pair of regular bluetooth headphones that I usually take to the store with me. I don't usually have issues being in public, but I still like listening to music; it kind of helps me feel grounded.

But I have to take them off when I go to a coffee place or something, 'cause I need to be able to hear when they're calling my order.

I'm a light sleeper myself, but I'm also hard of hearing and sleep without my hearing aids, so it takes a bit of noise to wake me. Light or touch (like when my cats climb into bed with me) wake me pretty easily though.

Yes i also feel grounded ,it is very nice way to state it.
I understand. Light also wakes me up.

I was immensely happy when my street was closed to traffic due to maintenance work. It's a very busy noisy street. I would love it to be permanently closed unless it would be stopping an important emergency vehicles route. (There are pedestrianised roads)

All the sensitivity is probably related to the extra synapses on the brain ASD tend to have. Too much overload. When I explain it to NTs this is what I say.

Me - You can hear me and understand me as I am talking to you correct?

NT - Yes

Me - Now imaging of 100 of me was asking that same question above right surrounding you. Could you even focus on one voice? Would it be overwhelming?

NT - Hmmmm.

Not an expert on this. With my son I can't even raise my voice or he loses it. talking a little louder feels like yelling to him. Yelling sends him into an outright panic shutdown.

BTW a suggestion if you go out and feel the outside noise is too much or want to go out wear earplugs. You can still hear conversations and it really helps. I used ear plugs when I went clubbing in my youth. I couldn't stand the noise of the dance clubs. It was too loud.

All the sensitivity is probably related to the extra synapses on the brain ASD tend to have. Too much overload. When I explain it to NTs this is what I say.

Me - You can hear me and understand me as I am talking to you correct?

NT - Yes

Me - Now imaging of 100 of me was asking that same question above right surrounding you. Could you even focus on one voice? Would it be overwhelming?

NT - Hmmmm.

Not an expert on this. With my son I can't even raise my voice or he loses it. talking a little louder feels like yelling to him. Yelling sends him into an outright panic shutdown.

BTW a suggestion if you go out and feel the outside noise is too much or want to go out wear earplugs. You can still hear conversations and it really helps. I used ear plugs when I went clubbing in my youth. I couldn't stand the noise of the dance clubs. It was too loud.

I've bought earplugs after doing a long research,but i can't get used to them.I get irritated after a while. It feels something foreign in my ear,my attention is drawn there and i can't concetrate well to what i am doing.

I personally hate fire alarm tests in a building noise wise and an emergency vehicle siren noise close by, at night if I'm a o passenger and the oncoming car's lights are at the brightest or a camera's flash hurts my eyes, anyone else has similar?
Live music, feels like head will explode.
Freight trains, block ears with fingers.
Jackhammers, just nooooooo!!!!
As a kid, chimney sweeps made me cry.
Erm....any sudden loud noise makes me jump out my skin.

I've bought earplugs after doing a long research,but i can't get used to them.I get irritated after a while. It feels something foreign in my ear,my attention is drawn there and i can't concetrate well to what i am doing.

There are foam ones, rubber one, plug ones. I prefer the foam ones but I do understand what you mean about it feeling weird in the ear.

I have awkward shaped ear canals.
The reusable ones I have tried simply do not work, tried 2 sizes.
The barrel-shaped foam ones irritate my ear, as they are rough, and the multi coloured foam ones are simply too big.
I can't even put earphones on for music, they simply drop out, I need the "in-ear" buds.

My body reacts the exact same way!

My reaction reminds me the reaction my cat has each time she hears a sudden loud noise.
You might already know, there is a book called "All Cats have Asperger's" they are so sensitive. I adore the little perfect creatures.

Those foam ones squish down quite thin when you roll them between the fingers, so it's hard to imagine them being big. Wouldn't they just make a nicer sound-proof fit when they expand again?

I do like those multi-coloured ones, and if they were a touch bigger, they'd make a better seal. I push them completely in so there's nothing sticking out, but can pull them out with no effort, whereas the reusable ones need quite a tug.

New Threads

Top Bottom