• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Lost an undesireable friend today

Pats

V.I.P Member
Can't believe I was removed off this person's friends. I don't care, because she's not what I would call a friend. She thinks we are, but we're not.

So anyhow, she posted a video on facebook about a dog with hydrocephalus and the dog looks pitiful. Can't walk without running into things. Misses by 6 inches or more when grabbing at something or pawing at something so how can it eat. Probably lives with a constant headache from the pressure and the owner spends hundreds of dollars a month to keep it alive. But watching the dog, you'd think it had a severe mental disorder.

So she posts this and puts in her comment that even an autistic dog has a place in the world. So I replied to her that the dog was not autistic - it had hydrocephalus (water on the brain) and realistically is probably miserable and needs to be shown compassion and put to sleep with dignity. (Imagine constant pressure on your brain.) Autistic?

Sooooo she removed me from her friends. lol
I love animals, but I don't want to try to look like a hero by keeping a suffering animal alive.

Everything You Need to Know About Hydrocephalus in Dogs and Cats

Only marginally on topic.> My relative who was offended
when the doctor told her that her child had just missed being
hydrocephalic. The doctor wasn't insulting the mother; he was
saying there was malformation in the skull.

So....back to the dog's owner.
I guess she wasn't saying that she was making payments
on surgery for the dog to have a shunt put in.

And your 'friend' wasn't spending much time reading about autism.

Everything You Need to Know About Hydrocephalus in Dogs and Cats

Only marginally on topic.> My relative who was offended
when the doctor told her that her child had just missed being
hydrocephalic. The doctor wasn't insulting the mother; he was
saying there was malformation in the skull.

So....back to the dog's owner.
I guess she wasn't saying that she was making payments
on surgery for the dog to have a shunt put in.

And your 'friend' wasn't spending much time reading about autism.
The 'friend' was not the one with the dog. The owner pays for medications, not surgery to drain the fluid. And, yes, it blew my mind when this friend called the dog autistic (because of it's actions and seemingly confused state). I don't care that she removed me from her friends - I'm just a little confused to why she was offended.

Good riddance! That's what I said when an incredibly evil woman I had known all my life finally told me off. The only problem with that is I was the only one taking care of her really loving adorable dog who was like a brother to me and I really miss him. She's really mean to him too and there is nothing I can except report her to the dog warden, who won't do his job.

Poor dog. :(
I really believe in euthanasia for animals in pain. I think in the past I’ve waited too long, but once I’m sure and the vet agrees, then it’s the best thing to do.
Still freaking sad though.
Sorry your friend overreacted to your feedback. Autistic is a word people throw around to be funny. Maybe she will contact you with appreciation for enlightening her. (maybe, but even I don’t believe it)

TempeFan, maybe the dog will go missing...hint hint.
Well, I guess that would be wrong, sorry, just a half thought.

@Pats
"The 'friend' was not the one with the dog."
Right. I know.

You're saying the Facebook friend posted a
typically "poignant"/tear jerker video, common to
Facebook, and then was offended that you didn't
coo over it. And *Share.*

At least I hope that's what she wanted.
Not to make a joke about a dog or about autism.

@Pats
"The 'friend' was not the one with the dog."
Right. I know.

You're saying the Facebook friend posted a
typically "poignant"/tear jerker video, common to
Facebook, and then was offended that you didn't
coo over it. And *Share.*

At least I hope that's what she wanted.
Not to make a joke about a dog or about autism.
the 'autism' comment was not meant to be a joke. I'm sure she thought the dog had autism. She's not the smartest person I know. Only reason I accepted her friend request is because she's married to my first husband (his 4th wife) and I felt obligated to accept. So no big loss. :)

can any phrase that associates undesirable with friend, be understood as a loss?

'good riddance to bad rubbish' would be better, no?

I'm sorry if you feel bad about it, but my first thought was "that's awesome!"

I once had a friend post an article about how Christians don't hate gay people, they just don't agree with them. I forgot what I said at first but after a few comments back and forth, he wanted to know what harm there was in him believing that if he doesn't do anything hurtful about it, he's just quietly "disagreeing." I said the harm was that when he has kids (he's married and probably will), he's going to teach them that belief and best-case-scenario, the belief lives on, and worst-case-scenario, the kid is gay and it screws him up.

Suddenly all the comments were deleted, and I was blocked! :eek:

The saddest part of the story...

he was pretty hot! ;)

You were perfectly justified in posting what you did. Her comment was insensitive and wrong - she was wrong to equate autism with hydrocephalus - they are two entirely different medical conditions which have nothing to do with each other, and yes, the kindest thing would be to put the dog out of its misery. Let's hope that she will think twice before making such statements in future. I really don't understand why people take comments or opinions on a situation so personally, but it happens all the time.

So this couldn't possibly be a bad thing, could it? I mean, if she was undesirable and all...not much of a loss to recoup there right?

I just realized someone else who has removed me from their friends list. What's wrong with people today that they can not handle someone not agreeing with them? Oh, this was just a friend of my son's who used to claim to be one of mine since he was there all the time and had the same last name.
I'm 61 and I do not think like someone in their 20's. You know, I grew up in a different time and my values are different and I've had different experiences. I don't get mad when someone has a different lifestyle as mine or disagrees with me or has opposing opinions - that's what the world is after all.
So this kid had posted something about not being too hard on yourself because you have hundreds of generations of conditioning to undo. (Sorry, sometimes I get tired of our generation being blamed for everything) so I commented "I thank your generation for fixing what every person before them seems to have messed up. lol" He replied that I had to admit that even the last couple generations (which includes mine) has conditioned them to believe this and that. So I said that I was trying to be funny but if he wanted my honest opinion, I guess because I believe in God that I'm okay with conditioning from 2000 years ago.
Did I insult him personally? Why do people post things and get mad if you disagree? They can insult, but if we just say, I don't agree that's it, we can no longer be friends.

Just say "no" to Facebook.
I just realized someone else who has removed me from their friends list.

Herd mentality.

A primary reason I simply say "no" to Facebook and/or Twitter altogether. They strike me as inherently toxic social environments, particularly for those of us on the spectrum of autism.

IMO part of the "neurological divide" remains the difference between those who will tell you what you need to know, versus those who tell you only what they think they want you to hear. With the latter being in overwhelming numbers in comparison.

Last edited:
It's like food - you can't say no completely. My kids post pictures of things I didn't get to go see the grandkids do, or even maybe didn't know they had done. So almost daily I'm getting to enjoy these pictures. But I don't read or pay attention to most things on it, some sometimes happen to open it up and look at the first few friend's posts that usually I enjoy. Love the dog and cat videos. Also belong to a crochet group and get ideas and get the Bozeman (Mt) paper via FB. So I use it for different things and try to ignore things I know will bother me. These things mentioned didn't bother me so much - if it did I would not have commented because I know I make people mad. lol

New Threads

Top Bottom