• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Lost an undesireable friend today

You can when you know some of that "food" is poisoned. ;)
No - I meant you can say no to some foods, but not all. Alcohol you have to stop it all. Food you have to control because you still need food.

No - I meant you can say no to some foods, but not all. Alcohol you have to stop it all. Food you have to control because you still need food.

Oh, I knew exactly what you meant. ;)

However metaphorically speaking even those foods which you perceive to be good- or necessary might be quite bad.

Last edited:
Okay - I get what you're saying now. :)

I was a professional risk manager for many years.

With some hazards the most pragmatic approach is avoidance. Simple and effective. ;)

Funny though that I managed to avoid Facebook even before considering I was on the spectrum. Hmmmmm. No kids though, nothing to share with much of anyone anyways. That I get...relative to your situation as a mother to your kids.

That in effect I can afford "not to take prisoners".

With friends like that, who needs enemies? A person who has no problem seeing an animal suffer and thinks using "autistic: in place of the r word is funny would be no friend of mine.

But I do find Facebook a decent place to show off my crafts and artwork to the world. If I didn't then it would be as if my arts and crafts didn't exist.

It's when people are emotionally invested in their opinions. Any resistance to the opinion is taken as resistance to the person because they've blurred the lines. Of course, none of it is happening consciously, they're usually morons. :)

Just say "no" to Facebook.

It is not Facebook; it is the people who use it and abuse it, who are the problem.

I am on Facebook, but mine page is spiritual all the way and I only have a few on my friendship list, who in fact, I have "known" for years. Never met, but that suits me.

It is not Facebook; it is the people who use it and abuse it, who are the problem.

I am on Facebook, but mine page is spiritual all the way and I only have a few on my friendship list, who in fact, I have "known" for years. Never met, but that suits me.

But it IS Facebook. Just like it IS WP.

Simple point: AF does not consistently have the same social dynamics that both of these domains are plagued with, apart from most interactive sites on the Internet. If it did, I wouldn't be here.

Think about it.

I was a part of mainstream online communities for many years. But inevitably nearly all of them amounted to participating in a "meat-grinder" in the social sense. Not friendly places for much of anyone with autistic traits and behaviors that can be manifested online.

Facebook and other social media sites might work for you, but that doesn't mean they work for many of the rest of us.

Last edited:

Yes, I don't accept just anyone - I have to know them as an adult because I post too many grandkid pictures.

Yes, I don't accept just anyone - I have to know them as an adult because I post too many grandkid pictures.

That's about the only thing you can do with Facebook. To metaphorically to "lock the door".

So much for the "social" aspect of that particular media.

But it IS Facebook. Just like it IS WP.

Simple point: AF does not consistently have the same social dynamics that both of these domains are plagued with, apart from most interactive sites on the Internet. If it did, I wouldn't be here.

I was a part of mainstream online communities for many years. But inevitably nearly all of them amounted to participating in a "meat-grinder" in the social sense. Not friendly places for much of anyone with autistic traits and behaviors that can be manifested online.

Facebook and other social media sites might work for you, but that doesn't mean they work for many of the rest of us.
Good morning Judge. Between your comment and Suzanne's, it made me really think about it. This forum is a little like facebook, but the difference in my facebook friends and here - I've met and physically have known everyone on my FB while here I've never met anyone IRL and that here you actually have conversations back and forth, whereas FB it's like anyone who does comment thinks they have to keep it down to 1 or 2 words. lol Now I kind of feel like my 'friends' are here, but I still use FB to keep up with a few people and a few places - I do get the news from Montana. If someone spent too much time complaining about opposite political views and all I quit following them - I am not getting swept up in all that mess. ANyhow - I like it here and feel safe here - unlike FB, but your own FB page is pretty much what you make it.

Good morning Judge. Between your comment and Suzanne's, it made me really think about it. This forum is a little like facebook, but the difference in my facebook friends and here - I've met and physically have known everyone on my FB while here I've never met anyone IRL and that here you actually have conversations back and forth, whereas FB it's like anyone who does comment thinks they have to keep it down to 1 or 2 words. lol Now I kind of feel like my 'friends' are here, but I still use FB to keep up with a few people and a few places - I do get the news from Montana. If someone spent too much time complaining about opposite political views and all I quit following them - I am not getting swept up in all that mess. ANyhow - I like it here and feel safe here - unlike FB, but your own FB page is pretty much what you make it.

It all depends on how one chooses to use FB. If you run your page like a small private club with the doors locked, you may be ok relative to outside users. No question.

But so much of Facebook is far beyond locked doors. And the second you poke your toe out that locked door, expect someone to eventually bite it off.

The point is that Facebook itself is so massive it draws an incredibly broad number and type of users. Including the good, the bad and the very ugly. As do all the mega-sized social media sites that inevitably cater to the neurological/social majority.

Last edited:
That's about the only thing you can do with Facebook. To metaphorically to "lock the door".

So much for the "social" aspect of that particular media.
No. :) I keep mine private - I don't even allow other friends to look at my friends list because people do that to try to build their number of friends. I'm fairly selective with my friend list. The majority are people I do want to keep in touch with but no longer live in that state and are from church - which I did go on a rant the other day and kind of regret that for the reason I just stated. LOL I think there was something in the air that day. Anyhow - seems it's relatives that I have problems with, and they're diminishing from my friends list. :confused:

It all depends on how one chooses to use FB. If you run your page like a small private club with the doors locked, you may be ok relative to outside users. No question.

But so much of Facebook is far beyond locked doors. And the second you poke your toe out that locked door, expect someone to eventually bite it off.

The point is that Facebook itself is so massive it draws an incredibly broad number and type of users. Including the good, the bad and the very ugly. As do all the mega-sized social media sites that inevitably cater to the neurological/social majority.

Sometimes it aounds a bit like you're describing school, society, or the world, not something specific to Facebook, just aspects of humanity.

Sometimes it aounds a bit like you're describing school, society, or the world, not something specific to Facebook, just aspects of humanity.

Sure. After all, IMO Facebook is just a microcosm of some of the worst of society.

I stopped using FB some years ago for many of the reasons already mentioned. I still have an account but I haven't touched it for a loooong time.
I'm going to have to set up a new FB profile for the channel when I start properly promoting it and I have to say, I don't look forward to it. Necessary evil I guess :eek:

I stopped using FB some years ago for many of the reasons already mentioned. I still have an account but I haven't touched it for a loooong time.
I'm going to have to set up a new FB profile for the channel when I start properly promoting it and I have to say, I don't look forward to it. Necessary evil I guess :eek:
Well, I just set up a new FB to look for asperger communities near my location. Because I coudn't find any group when I went out and most people (precisely, all of the people i asked) here ignore what is asperger.

But yes, I do it because I have to. I just deleted my fb profile a long time ago because it didn't make any sense to me. I had a hard time sharing my life with other people...

New Threads

Top Bottom