• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

*Little* Things That Annoy You (Pet Peeves)

I felt mildly woke-scolded at an autism support group when I described myself as only mildly autistic. As if my partners extremely disabled son who needs constant support and me who can work are similar.

Theyll take a grain of truth, that we all have an uneven profile of abilities, and then fallaciously expand that to us all being the same. It's probably an extension of very woolly, fashionable woke thinking.
Why do other people always word my thoughts way better than I can? 😅That is EXACTLY what I've been trying to say all along!! Yes I'm sure we all have ''spiky profiles'' or whatever it is, but we don't all have the ''high-functioning when comfortable, low-functioning during a meltdown'' profile. And I think most of where you lay on the autism spectrum comes down to your communication abilities in general. Some autistic people are non-verbal all their lives, or have very limited vocabulary and communication skills. Others develop speech just like their typically developing peers and have no delays or differences in their speech development.
Not saying the autism spectrum is divided into just those two types of autistic profiles, because it isn't, but what I'm saying is that there ARE some autistic people who exist in one of these profiles. I watch a lot of videos on Youtube of autistic children and adolescents, and a lot of them have very noticeable communication differences or difficulties. But the ones who were described as Asperger's seemed able to communicate articulately like an NT child, and you probably wouldn't really know they had an ASD just by talking to them or watching them have a conversation. I was like that as a child; sociable, normal eye contact, expressive, articulate, cheeky, funny, affectionate, chatty, etc, etc. My ASD was more complex, more hidden, more internal (I don't mean repressed, because I was very expressive, but what I mean is my ASD symptoms were more internal, like noticing or worrying about things others may not have, or overthinking things or having odd thoughts or phobias, etc). And that is quite true for some ASDers who are affected mildly. That is why I think my type of ''autism'' should have its own name, like it used to (which was Asperger's syndrome).

The way I see it, Asperger's syndrome is like being an adolescent - but I'm not talking about mental age, I'm talking about the position. Adolescents are at an awkward stage between childhood and adulthood, where they aren't children exactly but aren't adults either. They're inbetween, with one foot still in childhood and the other foot in the adult world. They're like ''half and half''. It can be confusing for them. And that's how I feel it is for me, as an Aspie. I'm sitting right on the line between NT and autism (excluding other ND conditions), and this can be very confusing for me, which is why I'm often confused about my own diagnosis. It's like I don't really fit the autism mould like others do on autism sites, but I still lack something because of the way I can't make friends as good as my NT peers (especially during my teenage years). So I have some sort of ASD but at the same time I still don't feel autistic, if that makes sense.

Mods: If this post isn't appropriate for this thread then could you please start a new thread on this topic, instead of just deleting it forever? Because thejuice has made a really, really good point.

When I'm typing on my laptop keyboard and I manage to hit like 3 or even 4 keys at once. It's why I prefer typing on my phone, because of the word suggestions and all that.

Commercials that start out with "In these uncertain times, bla bla bla..."

Commercials that end with "We're all in this together." Biggest lie of the 2020s, man.

Commercials where they have kids that are supposedly "cute" but they're really evil little brats while their parents are stupid and clueless.

And if you check out the ad on YouTube, the comments are suspiciously positive "Like omg so cute so funny like omg!*ten laughing emojis*"

People who think making creepy, ugly faces in their selfies is funny.

People who think being insanely loud is funny.

Hearing certain words in YouTube videos like "kill" or "die" get "Voldemorted", as I like to call it, in order to avoid an age restriction, and yet they can totally get away with real swear words.

I've also noticed that with the CC on they'll censor the word "moron", but not "idiot" for some strange reason. I get that "moron" used to be a medical term for intellectually disabled people but is now an insult, but so was "idiot", so I just do not get it.

When I want to listen to children's songs on YouTube but all the videos I find have to be too giggly, childish and immature.

When people go around with clothing tags hanging out. I always cut mine out or at least make sure they're hidden. It's just unsightly to have them hanging out.

Last edited:
When people are unpleasant to be around, and then complain that nobody likes them.

When people are dull, boring, and unremarkable, and then complain that nobody likes them.

Idealistic teens whose response to almost anything they do not understand is "Yeah, but what does it all mean?"

There will always be someone, somewhere, who is somehow 'triggered' by something I have said.

It is getting to the point where I am reluctant to say anything when certain people are around.

When my husband lectures me that I worry about things too much and that I need to stop. Then when I do stop worrying and laugh at things instead, he lectures me again, "there's [the thing I was worrying about] and you're laughing/fussing about something stupid." Right, so I shouldn't worry about something worth worrying about but I shouldn't be joyful either because then I'm not taking the worrying things seriously? Help me out here?

Parents who have favourites and show it. My uncle has two adult children (a son and a daughter), but seems to favour the daughter. He's given her his house and charges her cheap rent, while the son is struggling with housing and has been homeless before but the dad doesn't seem to care or want to help. I don't think that's fair. But I know that the daughter has always been his favourite.

Last edited:
The passive-aggression and self-centeredness exhibited by many people who would rather complain about something than do anything to make things better for themselves.

News stories behind paywalls, and having to search for the same stories on free websites.

Almost always, I can find the exact same story by the exact same writer on another website for free.

ASMR videos where you have to keep adding "no talking" in the search bar otherwise most the videos you'll get are of the person whispering. I can't stand whispering!!!

When people respond to posts with a video of a song from YouTube. I'm sorry, I don't speak song, please respond with words.

When you complain about snowflakes yet you're one yourself. (Referring to me).
Awkward. Embarrassing. What I do? What I do?

The same people who belittle my Amateur Radio activities are the first people at my door when the power goes out and the cell towers fail.

While it is my duty as a licensed Amateur Radio Operator to give assistance to disaster victims in getting word out to authorities and relatives, it's like being the only person in the city with a car when someone who criticizes my driving wants to go for a ride.

↑ A simple heuristic for you:

• If one person's lone opinion is that you are an ass, ignore them.
• If two people's independent opinion is that you are an ass, consider the possibility their opinion may be valid.
• If three or more people independently call you an ass, get yourself fitted for a harness and learn to say, "Hee-Haw".

↑ A simple heuristic for you:

• If one person's lone opinion is that you are an ass, ignore them.
• If two people's independent opinion is that you are an ass, consider the possibility their opinion may be valid.
• If three or more people independently call you an ass, get yourself fitted for a harness and learn to say, "Hee-Haw".

Assuming those three are not racist, sexist, or otherwise prejudiced, I assume. And not influenced by some other stressor at the time of their assessment.

Though this leads us to the complexity of emotion and attraction/aversion, I think. It is amazing how logic can falter the more we systematize. Though, in your rhetorical approach, I sense you appreciate this.

When someone breaks up with their partner and people say "that's a good thing, it means they weren't a nice boy/girlfriend to begin with!" I mean, how is that supposed to make the heartbroken person feel better? The heartbroken person is feeling very sad because they didn't want their partner to "not be a nice boy/girlfriend to begin with". They thought all was well and were happy, only to be dumped. No logic is useful in these situations.

When autistics take NTs taking things at face value as a normal human fact, but when autistics take something at face value it's suddenly an autism trait only.

New Threads

Top Bottom