• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Listening Training

Mia

V.I.P Member
Listening Training
What is it?

Listening training is a non-invasive, drug-free therapy based on the work of Dr. Alfred Tomatis in France. The premise is that music and voice with different frequencies are used to stimulate dormant brain circuits. Kids listen to sounds on headphones following a prescribed program. As the children learn, they’re asked to participate in exercises that involve singing, humming, speaking and reading which are recorded, modified and then fed back to them.

diodge.jpg

Dr. Diodge at the Listening Centre in Toronto, Ontario, Canada..

ADHD, autism, sensory integration disorder.

Why do scientists think it works?
When we hear a sound, the ear converts the information in the patterns of sound energy into patterns of electrical energy. In many children with autism, the auditory zoom which allows them to hone in on human speech and screen out threatening sounds doesn’t work. The brain is flooded overwhelmed with noise and turns off the social circuits that allow us to engage with others.*

Music is organized sound and a precursor for language. By alternating frequencies, it can train the brain to differentiate human speech from other sounds.

Visit the Listening Centre in Toronto, Canada.

Five Incredible New Ways To Help The Brain Heal Itself

*Note: The focus on threatening sounds, rather than human voices does not only happen in children. It happens with adults with autism. Although it seems a simplified explanation, I am so distracted by all the noises around me that I cannot focus well in certain situations. Don't know that I would want to go through this kind of 'listening training' as an adult, but it may have helped me as a child.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom