• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

List things that all autistics should do/have

Complete appreciation and kindness. So that when we request things, they are not pushed aside.

If people were kinder, half of what we need to keep us sane, we would not need.

don't feel guilt about being who you are
self acceptance and self understanding
set and accept your own goals and needs for happiness
learn to play to your strengths rather than focus on your shortcomings
stop comparing yourself to idealised visions of NT's and of happiness
stop assuming that everyone else has a perfect and happy life
learning to recognise the danger signals, and avoid the issue before it becomes an issue
made to measure earplugs for sleep
good noise cancelling headphones
accept that quality of friends is more important than quantity of friends
be very 'environment' conscious, ie where possible avoid situations and places that will make you unhappy or take actions to mitigate the impact and consequences
make sure to always have quiet space with the things that comfort you
accept that you have limitations (just like everyone else), and don't aspire to those things that you just can't practically achieve, and don't feel bad about it

don't feel guilt about being who you are
self acceptance and self understanding
set and accept your own goals and needs for happiness
learn to play to your strengths rather than focus on your shortcomings
stop comparing yourself to idealised visions of NT's and of happiness
stop assuming that everyone else has a perfect and happy life
learning to recognise the danger signals, and avoid the issue before it becomes an issue
made to measure earplugs for sleep
good noise cancelling headphones
accept that quality of friends is more important than quantity of friends
be very 'environment' conscious, ie where possible avoid situations and places that will make you unhappy or take actions to mitigate the impact and consequences
make sure to always have quiet space with the things that comfort you
accept that you have limitations (just like everyone else), and don't aspire to those things that you just can't practically achieve, and don't feel bad about it

Hey. 6ft 6 - all that will fit on your t -shirt
:)

Good,thoughtful comments as ever.

Pets, plants, quiet.
Unobtrusive electronics of any kind.
Cool or warm (not bright) colours on the walls.
Simplicity.
Quiet neighbours.
Privacy.
Deadbolts on the front door.
Independence.

Interesting comment. I'm just wondering what "unobtrusive electronics" means to this audience in particular?

I have two audio receivers about 30 years apart in age and design. The earlier one is a veritable "light show" with a built-in graphic equalizer while the newest one (Dolby 5.1 home theater system) is minimalist in what the LED display shows at any given time.

Though I don't consider the earlier receiver particularly "obtrusive" given that when it is on, my eyes are on the television screen rather than all the LEDs of the stereo receiver.

Interestingly enough the two systems take up very different amounts of space as well. Small is good....reflecting the later rather than the former system, IMO.

Interesting comment. I'm just wondering what "unobtrusive electronics" means to this audience in particular?

Electronics that don't beep, flash, blink, or shrilly attempt to get my attention, they remain quiet and unnoticed, they don't startle me when they automatically clean themselves like my printer or make low ringing sounds when I receive email.With the exception of the microwave when I use it's timer, or the car when it flashes it's lights.

Electronics that don't beep, flash, blink, or shrilly attempt to get my attention, they remain quiet and unnoticed, they don't startle me when they automatically clean themselves like my printer or make low ringing sounds when I receive email.With the exception of the microwave when I use it's timer, or the car when it flashes it's lights.

Depends on the device. Pretty much anything that generates heat is likely to legally require such functionality, in accordance with Underwriters Laboratories standards for safety concerns. But yeah, the rest that puts out noise for no particular reason I can live without as well.

With my new car....oh boy you should hear and see what can make it beep. But despite my occasional grousing, it's telling me that it can drive my car better than I can. In most cases so far, it has been right in beeping me, even though it can be annoying! ;)

Though I know in some cases I can simply turn off the beeping or the function itself. So far I choose not to in my own best interest. My first real entrance into the 21st century I suppose. A machine that actually does "have my back". :cool:

Last edited:

Yeh. Stuff that doesnt beep!
Why do they make evrything beep.

Oh and also clocks that don't tick.

Pets, plants, quiet.
Cool or warm (not bright) colours on the walls.
Simplicity.
Quiet neighbours.
Privacy.
Deadbolts on the front door.
Independence.
Deadbolts everywhere. And a moat around the house. Doubt city ordinance will allow one and there isn't enough space between the houses. At least my house looks haunted and we keep a few creepy Halloween decorations up all year. And rubber snakes.

It is possible to turn off the microwave ‘beeps’ by dismantling it carefully. It’s very straightforward. I disabled mine earlier this year. There’s ‘how to’ YouTube videos showing simple steps on how to do this on various types of microwaves.

:)
cartoon-electrician-being-electrocuted-by-toonaday-3238.jpg

I personally carry around a pair of dubs acoustic filters. I panic when I can't hear anything so those foam earplugs are out of the question. These just cut down the decibel's to a tolerable level.

Not Ever encountering people who are only interested in physical relationships and especially who use the words fit,gorgeous and single, it gives me the creeps

New Threads

Top Bottom