• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

List things that all autistics should do/have

Full Steam

The renegade master
V.I.P Member
Spotify/google play music playlist called SameTunes - add individual tracks as they become your "samemusic", and play on repeat all day and forever. Weed out tunes as they start making you sick.

Google Keep or Evernote used as an extension of your memory. Put everything in here that needs to be remembered as it crosses your mind.

Buy clothes of one certain style for a certain occasion, to stop getting confused about what to wear. Don't waste decision powers over trivialities like clothes.

More, more, more!!!

Last edited:
Understanding (does that count as a thing?)

I can't think of anything else that I think would benefit all autistics. I am too literal-minded. (Well, aside from love and acceptance.)

Last edited:
I can't say all, but quite a few if not most:
weighted blanket
comfy rocking chair
a good calendar
the right lighting
a quiet neighborhood
comfortable pants/skirts with good pockets
comfortable ear protection
non scratchy socks
a good hat
someone else to make necessary phone calls
a remote with a functioning mute button
well directed stubbornness
the ability to leave a situation
a pantry of comfort foods that are at least sorta healthy
a to-do list
friends that don't pick on you

What has worked for me:
Strengths-based view of autism!
Streamline life so that only outings which are necessary & not too taxing are on the agenda.
Select inner circle wisely and with great care.
Sensory activity regularly! (Swing set, Trampoline, swimming)
Clean eating.
Hydration.
Maintain an Autie sanctuary.
Home must be in nature.
In employment & romance—mention and explain diagnosis! Better to get appropriate supports and accommodations than to have these areas be marathons of failure due to invisible wheelchair situation.
Visual schedules rock! I’ve got one for all my daily activities eating, dressing, drinking, washing, feed the dog, walk the dog, etc. download from Google visual schedules.
Weighted blanket!

Oh yeah, and lots of hot tea with raw honey! :)

Biggest help: autism support staff. I didn’t know how much I needed this help until I got it. Big help for in-community support, going to medical appointment, reminders for important things, and running errands with help.

Things that all autistics should have? Acceptance in society.
Things that they should all do? Give a piece of their mind to those who have a problem with our differences.

As for practical things, I have to say that I once got a phablet instead of a phone, and it doesn't matter how much people have been making fun of the size of my old Galaxy Note (those same people craving a larger iPhone every time one comes out, so logical), it is an extension of my brain. My life would be a lot more messy without it, because it's specifically designed as a production-enhancing phone rather than just a cool, fun phone.
For smaller investments, I recommend a pair of good, comfortable earplugs.

Lastly, for companionship, I can't imagine my life without a pet. I would rescue all the wandering cats if I could (and some dogs, I guess). It was especially important growing up, it helped me tremendously on so many levels.

Buy clothes of one certain style for a certain occasion, to stop getting confused about what to wear. Don't waste decision powers over trivialities like clothes.
I have a pantsuit dedicated to funerals, but I haven't been able to locate it in the last 2 years, so I guess I should try and ban everybody near me from dying until I find it again. And then I'll conveniently forget to look for it, there, I found the key to immortality!

Then I have to follow an internet trail of breadcrumbs across the internet.
I believe these would be best called "cookies", to make it topical, don't you think?

Aspionage skills.

(I wish I'd made that one up, but I didn't :D)
Gosh, I read this line thinking the exact same "I wish I'd come up with that". Who is it from?

Last edited:
This one may not be popular, but nice, comfortable clothing that flatters you and is appropriate for whatever the occasion may be - also the accessories to go with the outfit. I find clothing is an easy and controllable form of non-verbal communication for me, and I have noticed a huge difference in how people approach/perceive/treat me, not that it irons out all problems at all, but it is a vast improvement. Also a flattering haircut and makeup when appropriate. It took decades for me to get this stuff down, and I'm still no fashion plate, but I've found you really don't have to be - just do choose well enough to look neat and pulled together.

There are many other things that others have already listed :)

music, music, music.
Nature, animals and gardens.
Soft clothes and comfy shoes.
Aromatherapy.
And the hard to find companion that understands you and has like interests.

New Threads

Top Bottom