• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Languages!

I've gotten the app since beginning of last year,and that was how I had learnt German.I did attend a formal course,and I had to sit through an assessment pre-test thing,and they were quite surprised at my proficiency despite not having taken a formal class before.
Nice! Right now I think I have it set to Italian. It's a start somewhere in the goals of languages that I want to learn.

Yes, that's a good one. I also like to learn Sign Language. I know the alphabet, but I can't do complete words and sentences.

If you are really interested in learning sign language there's a great site called ASLU that teaches it free!

I just looked up ASLU a little bit ago! So far, it's great! They even have an app to help learn fingerspelling in sign language.

I don't think I could ever learn another language. Spanish is one of the most annoying things ever. But for some reason I have been drawn to Mandarin over maybe the last 6 years or so and if I had to pick one it'd be that hands down. I enjoy watching the Asian shows (particuarly the dramas) on ETTV, Imaginasian, Sino... even if I can't understand what they are saying. Don't get Imaginasian anymore but I liked how they had the English subtitles even if they weren't perfect.

I can speak three different languages because of my background, Mauritian. I can speak French and French-based Creole (which is an informal version of French mixed with other languages). I remember doing Greek at primary school but I found that hard to write and speak. I also learnt a bit of Italian at high school which was slightly easier. I took up French in year 8 to build up my "native" language skills. I aced French classes in year 7 and 8.

Last edited:
I speak Portuguese, English, Spanish and a little French (which I'll improve by myself someday).
I'd like to learn Latin - not sure why - and German.

Portuguese is a beautiful language I had a Brazilian friend who i loved to hear chat her language on the telephone

I am not very good at languages, when I was at school I could never remember anything the teacher asked me so I was put in the lowest set in my peergroup thou I did get an Euroclass award way hey lol haha but Nah I canny speak any other language except english which is a shame really as I would love to learn more than english!!!

Me too in UK we do french for 3 years but i didn't like it and found it hard, now i wish id learned as I'm interested in France and always impressed when i see the people rioting about new laws they don't like.

I'm doing German at the moment, which I've been saying for years I was going to do.

Enjoying it but getting your head around the word order can be a bit confusing at times. There's that age old joke of waiting for the verb...

I can speak Romanian ( my native language ) , English ( as I was a kid I had great difficulties learning this language, I had many gaps to fill ) , French ( learned in middle-school but I know only some basic words, actually its very poor ). Not lastly I can speak German ( pretty much advanced level ) . I watched Tv channels in german language and that helped me a lot.

Just under you can see how German sounds compared to other languages around the world.

What languages do you speak? What would you like to learn?

From most fluent to least fluent: English, French, Spanish... a little Quechua and some German. I'd like to learn Russian, Mongolian and Mi'kmaq next!
I started learning Russian by myself when I was 9, I found my mom's old school book. I find grammar absolutely fascinating and very logical once you get into the system of it. I'm fluent in Czech, Swedish and English, my Russian and German are very good, I have some basic knowledge of French, Dutch and Spanish. And since I speak Swedish and Czech, I can understand Slovak, Norwegian and Danish as well, Danish is really hard though, it's very easy to read, but their pronunciation can be too difficult to decipher at times.

I'd really love to learn an Asian language, I've been considering Japanese, since it's easier, but Chinese is really tempting as well. I'm interested in the structure of the languages mostly.

I can speak Romanian ( my native language ) , English ( as I was a kid I had great difficulties learning this language, I had many gaps to fill ) , French ( learned in middle-school but I know only some basic words, actually its very poor ). Not lastly I can speak German ( pretty much advanced level ) . I watched Tv channels in german language and that helped me a lot.

Just under you can see how German sounds compared to other languages around the world.

Oh that is just brilliant. I'm learning German and I always though it was an aggressive language.

It's so precise though, words build in (mostly) sensical ways.. Krankenwagen = Hospital car. Krankenhaus = Hospital House. I could go on.

New Threads

Top Bottom