• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Just learned I'm an Aspie...

reveric15

UMC Pastor in North Carolina, USA
Hey everyone,
I'm 28 and just realized I'm an Aspie. I didn't realize this before because I am a special breed. I'm gifted, and therefore my traits are different from other Aspies. But a very good friend of mine is a typical Aspie, and I knew I was different from him, so I figured I wasn't on the spectrum. But now here I am in all of my color!

To be honest I can't stop thinking about it. My wife says she knew before we were engaged, and I believe her. She's awesome. Others suspected, but again, I'm not a normal Aspie, and so I was just assumed to be different, twice so! Anyways, I'm a pastor of a church and the fact I'm an Aspie has me all worried now and self-conscious. Today when I spent time with people at church I remained very quiet for fear of what to say.

That's all for now I guess...

Welcome :)

Yes, you'll find a variety of different types of Aspies, who all sit on different parts of a spectrum.

There is certainly no such thing as a "typical aspie"...as I'm sure you'll find out here. Welcome! :)

I'm sorry but what does gifted in this case mean?
Does it have anything to do with the church?

Oh, and welcome by the way!

Welcome Reveric15!

Actually, a lot of Aspies are in some way gifted or well above average in academics. My SAT verbal score was at the 99th percentile. But no one would guess it from the way I speak!

Hey everyone,
I'm 28 and just realized I'm an Aspie. I didn't realize this before because I am a special breed. I'm gifted, and therefore my traits are different from other Aspies. But a very good friend of mine is a typical Aspie, and I knew I was different from him, so I figured I wasn't on the spectrum. But now here I am in all of my color!

To be honest I can't stop thinking about it. My wife says she knew before we were engaged, and I believe her. She's awesome. Others suspected, but again, I'm not a normal Aspie, and so I was just assumed to be different, twice so! Anyways, I'm a pastor of a church and the fact I'm an Aspie has me all worried now and self-conscious. Today when I spent time with people at church I remained very quiet for fear of what to say.

Being an Aspie makes you the same, not different, unless you have wings or something like that. All of us are special, different and gifted, so welcome to the club.
No offense intended.

My wife says she knew before we were engaged, and I believe her. She's awesome. Others suspected, but again, I'm not a normal Aspie, and so I was just assumed to be different, twice so! Anyways, I'm a pastor of a church and the fact I'm an Aspie has me all worried now and self-conscious. Today when I spent time with people at church I remained very quiet for fear of what to say.

Wow--sounds like you've got a great wife! I like it when Christians are genuinely compassionate.

For me, one of the fun things about identifying as an Aspie is that you can pretty much forget about things like "normal" and just accept yourself! It's not so easy when you're dealing with a neurotypical world, but I found that accepting my spectrumness made me more comfortable with not fitting in.

Re: time with people at church... You've all got God in common (I should hope)! I'd say the next time you feel fearful of what to say, think of God's love in your heart and let that do the talking. :)

Wait... I just realized that not all aspies are gifted... I thought all aspies were pretty much clones... Ohhhhhh... Face palm... :confused:

Hey yeah, so when I mentioned "gifted" I am referring to some articles I read online. I just don't have all of the characteristics of what is considered by the NT world as "Aspergers". But thanks for your comments, support and clarifications. I am very new to this and have a lot to learn. After reading more blogs it has become apparent to me that Aspies have a variety of characteristics not common in NTs and that no two people have the same set. I mean, not even that close. We are all so different!

But...what about acceptance by our NT friends and neighbors? I mean, don't y'all also want to "fit in" at least in some way to NT society? Is it wrong to want to fully be a part of society even if I'm on the spectrum? Of course, so long as they can appreciate who I am?

Hey yeah, so when I mentioned "gifted" I am referring to some articles I read online. I just don't have all of the characteristics of what is considered by the NT world as "Aspergers". But thanks for your comments, support and clarifications. I am very new to this and have a lot to learn. After reading more blogs it has become apparent to me that Aspies have a variety of characteristics not common in NTs and that no two people have the same set. I mean, not even that close. We are all so different!

But...what about acceptance by our NT friends and neighbors? I mean, don't y'all also want to "fit in" at least in some way to NT society? Is it wrong to want to fully be a part of society even if I'm on the spectrum? Of course, so long as they can appreciate who I am?

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'd definitely like to at least somewhat fit in. I still want to be me, but I want to be me and fit in a little better.

Hi I'm also a Christian but I have been hurt a lot by humans and we are hurting a lot of the species I love more then myself so a lot of the time I don't want to be accepted I just want to kill. But I know that is most definitely not what God would want & I'm supposed to love humans because we are made in His image. It is so hard for me particularly at the moment I am off my meds cause I ran out and can't afford more. Sorry I don't know why I'm saying this anymore. I should stop now. Sorry again

Hi I'm also a Christian but I have been hurt a lot by humans and we are hurting a lot of the species I love more then myself so a lot of the time I don't want to be accepted I just want to kill. But I know that is most definitely not what God would want & I'm supposed to love humans because we are made in His image. It is so hard for me particularly at the moment I am off my meds cause I ran out and can't afford more. Sorry I don't know why I'm saying this anymore. I should stop now. Sorry again

Hey, I don't know how it is where you live, but in the United States some of the pharmaceutical companies have special programs to help those who can't afford their meds. But you have to contact them and apply.

Sorry I'm all good I just need to stop writing when I'm in a certain headspace, getting my antidepressants tomorrow thanks to my mother-in-law

Honestly, I don't think most of us have much to worry about as far as fitting in goes. We are part of society, even though we may not feel like it sometimes. We don't need to be understood by everybody in the neighborhood---just a few people we know we can count on. Believe it or not, that's how it works for NTs, too.

Disclaimer: I lived twenty years or so without knowing I'm autistic.

Anyways, I'm a pastor of a church and the fact I'm an Aspie has me all worried now and self-conscious. Today when I spent time with people at church I remained very quiet for fear of what to say.

Wow. I'd think that's a lot for most any Aspie to be "juggling". Welcome to AC.

New Threads

Top Bottom