• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Just curious.. are aspies generally insecure about their physical appearance?

I don't think it's linked to ASD, it's more to do with life experiences in my opinion... But I do know that I have body dysmorphia, my doctor gave me that diagnosis. I can't really look in the mirror without seeing a monster.

I used to have sex with someone then not feel ugly and hated for a while then repeat! That was the life! :cool:

Yes, to the extent that I have agoraphobia and social phobia as well.

I do not have classic female features and it makes me feel insecure.

I've lived long enough to run the gamut.
People thought I was so cute before age five.
Then I started growing tall, bucktoothed, acne, glasses, and was made fun of in school.
An ugly, intellectual girl. What a misfit!
By age 19, I became a model and instructor for a large well known company. What a change!
I guess I grew to enjoy the praise and remarks, but, it was really only important at work
or around certain groups.
Comfort was always most important.
I liked the looks of nice clothes, yes, but not comfortable in them and I never liked wearing make-up.
I also didn't like the general idea there was a certain way "ladies" should act.
Again, I just wanted to be myself. So I didn't worry much about it.

Now that I'm older I do notice the little things about aging.
Sun freckles, little changes to eye area, hair changes, ect.
I do put powder on my cheeks if going out in public and lip gloss.
The only thing I really get annoyed with is weight.
Less looks better to me, (probably because I've been used to skinny all my life),
and it would be healthier.
I don't snack or binge eat. Small appetite actually. Nothing works. :confused:

Dressing comfortable is still most important though.

Well...
If I look at photos I think I'm ugly....
If I look at myself on a foggy mirror in the evening after taking a shower and with dim lights I think I'm quite ok.:D

Not at all for me. More often I've been called careless or sloppy, my last gf said I looked homeless. Which is fine because I don't care about trends or trying to look a certain part or trying to impress anyone. I do what is simple and comfortable for me. I keep clean and I'm quite satisfied with how I look. I could dress up and have been told I look really sharp when doing so. But then I'd be a fake, I couldn't live up to the image, and to me that would be a terrible thing.

I don't know about aspies in general, but I definitely struggle with my body image. I had anorexia (or a form of it) for some time, and am mostly recovered now, but I still have negative thoughts about the way I look.
I am a (amateur) rock climber, and am going to start a work out regimen to help with my climbs. I am very insecure about how "weak" I am (even though I am not that weak compared to the general population). I want to get very strong and buff to boost my confidence. I just need to be careful that this does not turn into another eating disorder spiral.
I think that finding something to excel at is a great confidence booster. For me, I like to work on my art and rock climbing skills. Start up a hobby or take your "special interest" to a whole new level. Become a pro! This can really boost your confidence. Just think about all the things you are good at, rather than the way you look.

I don't think there are many western women at all who *aren't* insecure about their appearance. Female aspies might not appear to be as much, but that's mainly because for some strange reason many of us fail to see the joy or necessity of constantly smearing ointments, creams, and oils all over ourselves and encrusting our skin with makeup every day, and then washing it all off just to put more of it on.

So true! And here's the weird thing. I am super insecure about the way I look, but I dress really sloppily- I always have paint and ink on my clothes from my art projects. And I don't wear makeup. I considered it, but I would be even more self-conscious with makeup on! I imagine that wearing makeup in public would feel like walking around with underwear on my head!

I have hang ups about how I look and remember as a child, it was awful. I also find that how I dress determines my confidence and as soon as I put something on and sense an overwhelming feeling of inferiority, I now recognise it that as it is, and put something else on.

From my personal perspective on this topic, I would lean towards "yes". One, autistics diagnosed as children and have had "therapy",...a bit of sarcasm, here,...some may have interpreted all this as "It is not acceptable being who you are." For the benefit of others,...and yourself, within this neurotypical society, you must behave and communicate within these specific norms. Well, that's a great way to mess up a young person's self-esteem. Let's throw on some typical teenage hormonal angst and rebellion, some depression, some self-consciousness into the mix. How about some typical childhood bullying? We all know how universally accepting pre-teen and teenage kids are,...more sarcasm. Two, many autistics are very keen on picking up details and differences,...now have them look in the mirror,...well, let them quietly count the ways in which they are not perfect in every way. Three, adults like myself, who were not diagnosed as children, but much later, are the survivors of all that early negativity and have had to navigate this world without a clue to the answers why they have found themselves somewhat socially isolated. Why don't I like people? Why do I have deep interests in things nobody else cares about? Why can't I have a meaningful conversation? For some, it is why they can't keep a job, or find love, or find a friendship that lasts anymore than a fleeting moment. Why am I not included in conversations and photo sharing at the lunch table at work? Why, in every photo of me, do I have a blank, empty look, or worse, some dumb facial expression? The list goes on and on. Yes, it is very easy to look in the mirror and perceive oneself as "ugly".

New Threads

Top Bottom