• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

James Cameron is hoping for Avengers fatigue soon

AGXStarseed

(Not written by me)

In sharing some information on the next four Avatar films in AMC Visionaries series, the legendary director threw some shade Marvel's way.

james-cameron-the-avengers.jpg

Titanic/Avatar/Terminator/Aliens director and all-around cinematic icon James Cameron has expressed some light dissatisfaction with giant superhero franchises while promoting his new docuseries AMC Visionaries: James Cameron's Story of Science Fiction.

“I’m hoping we’ll start getting Avenger fatigue here pretty soon,” Cameron said, while promoting his new docuseries. “Not that I don’t love the movies. It’s just, come on guys, there are other stories to tell besides hyper-gonadal males without families doing death-defying things for two hours and wrecking cities in the process. It’s like, oy!”

It's like, "oy!", indeed.

He does qualify that he "loves" the film franchise as is...he just wants to see less of it. All in all, that's a perfectly mild statement immediately undercut by the fact that Cameron's AMC Visionaries series is to promote not one, not two, not three, but four Avatar sequels.

Furthemore, Cameron has been teasing said sequels.

“I’ve found myself as a father of five starting to think about what would an Avatar story be like if it was a family drama,” he said. “What if it was The Godfather? It’s a generational family saga. That’s very different than the first film. There’s still the same setting and the same respect for the shock of the new. We still want to show you things that you haven’t even seen or imagined, but the story is very different. It’s a continuation of the same characters… but what happens when warriors who are willing to go on suicide charges and leap off cliffs, what happens when they grow up and have their own kids? It becomes a very different story.”

AMC Visionaries: James Cameron's Story of Science Fiction, premieres in the US at the end of the month.

Source: James Cameron is hoping for Avengers fatigue soon

years after super hero movies get old someone famous mentions it

I don't think they've gotten old for everybody just yet; Considering how good the Marvel movies are doing, especially with their more recent entries from Captain America: Civil War to Black Panther, I'd say superhero movies are still pretty popular.
I myself am pretty hyped for Avengers: Infinity War and what lies beyond - especially with Doctor Strange hinting at a Multiverse and with Disney acquiring Fox and thus getting the X-Men back.
Granted, not every superhero movie that has come out has been good but for the most part I think the genre and subgenres are still going strong. At the very least, the superhero movie phase will either slow down or eventually fizzle out for the next thing - much like how Vampire and Zombie movies/shows have had a resurgence in popularity.

Personally, I think James Cameron is being more jealous than constructive here. The fact he's planning not one but four sequels to Avatar - a movie which looked nice and made a ton of money but had little cultural impact beyond that - 10 years after the original seems like a bad idea.
This is the guy who did Terminator, T2, Aliens, The Abyss and Titanic - all of which were good, great or at least well received movies, and he very nearly did adaptations of Battle Angel Alita and Spider-Man in the past.
I think it would be better for him to either do something brand new or maybe adapt something rather than doing sequels for a 10 year old film that some people nowadays get bored of within the first 20 minutes.

Last edited:
i see what you are saying. i liked titanic for a while, abhorred avatar, never got into terminator, though its an interesting cultural reference, and thought aliens was a good movie. these days, i abhor most movies. amelie was the last movie i liked a lot. i know people dig the super hero movies, but i cant get into any of them. i guess im a fogey, and dont have the patience for new things, not that i loved the old. i definitely think hes a bit jealous, though, he is thinking that avatar is the real superhero. but what is reality anyway?

Not gonna happen any time soon! I'm structuring my work and life around the release of infinity war...

I seriously hope that its good at the very least. Part of me is just interested to see how Peter Quill (Star-Lord) reacts regarding coming back to Earth after so many years.

I don't watch the comic book movies myself, so agree they take up a lot of the space that might produce more interesting things (for me).

I just sense a well-known director who seems to be hawking one kind of cliche over another. :rolleyes: Trying to capitalize on a story already established with classic scenarios most moviegoers are quite familiar with:

* The protagonist who discovers he's fighting on the wrong side for the wrong reasons
* The slaughter of indigenous peoples by an outside technologically superior civilization
* One civilization who deeply respects nature versus the other who only seeks to monetarily profit from it
* The "outsider" who miraculously transforms to become an "insider"

Avatar dissing Marvel? Really? Such hypocrisy on steroids sounds more like a superhero story itself. :p

When I see articles like this I'm mindful that good capitalists exploit such demand. However that great capitalists create it where it didn't exist before. We don't need more "good" capitalists in Hollywood. We need great ones. Those who can develop original subject matter rather than just churn out rehashes of previous successes.

I guess what Mr. Cameron is telling us is that he too has gotten tired and old, just like Hollywood itself.

When you say the first Spider-Man film, do you mean Homecoming or the 2002 Sam Raimi film, because if you mean the Sam Raimi film that's not part of the MCU.

Meh, Spiderman is a Marvel character is he not? Same difference IMO.

Meh, Spiderman is a Marvel character is he not? Same difference IMO.

The Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) officially started with Iron Man in 2008, with almost all other Marvel movies after that being tied to one single movie universe - exceptions including Sony's "Amazing Spiderman" films and 20th Century Fox's X-Men franchise and 2015 Fantastic Four film (Fant4stic).

The movies before 2008 were all just individual movie adaptations of various characters in their own little universes - such as Sam Raimi's Spider-Man trilogy, Daredevil and Electra, the Blade Trilogy and Ghost Rider 1 and 2 as a few examples.

Hope I cleared that up.

Last edited:
I have to be honest i am starting to feel a bit fatigued with superhero movies,I was a massive marvel fan but now I just don’t get as excited for the movies anymore,I never thought I would be one of those people who get tired of the movies but now Disney just churns them out a lot and they also seem to be going down that road with Star Wars which is sad because the good thing about Star Wars was there wasn’t a big bombardment of the movies and you waited a few years for the next instalment but now they are diluting that and it will affect its quality in the long run.

I have to be honest i am starting to feel a bit fatigued with superhero movies,I was a massive marvel fan but now I just don’t get as excited for the movies anymore,I never thought I would be one of those people who get tired of the movies but now Disney just churns them out a lot and they also seem to be going down that road with Star Wars which is sad because the good thing about Star Wars was there wasn’t a big bombardment of the movies and you waited a few years for the next instalment but now they are diluting that and it will affect its quality in the long run.

We saw the latest Avengers movies last week, I went fully expecting it to be rubbish, but was pleasantly surprised even though we missed the end as I'd a Taxi booked.

As for Super Hero movies in general, I prefer the DC Universe to be honest, I wouldn't mind a reboot of the 80's Supergirl movie based on the new series starring Melissa Benoist, the original was great as well.

The Batman movies are all good as well IMO, but the best were the original Superman films starring the late Christopher Reeve.

New Threads

Top Bottom