• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

It's happening, finally after 3 long years

Shaun-Junior Bishop

On the 27th of February I finally got the letter. I am now officially on the waiting list and in the next 6-8 months I should have my diagnoses.

I just have one question, I keep obsessing over it. Everyday I count down the days and it's making me so anxious that I cant leave my house alot. Does any body have any advice to help please.

Yep, been there, done that, got the proverbial T-shirt. It will happen, and it is normal for people on the spectrum. It's in our nature to analyse, obsess or over-think things. This happens to many, I would say most, people when they first become aware of being on the spectrum. As for anxiety, I think it helps to read about other people's experiences so that you know what to expect, and to keep yourself disracted as far as possible.

its always the same I feel terrible and then afterwards I think all that time spent worrying I was glad afterwards I remembered to take my school reports and a letter from one of my relatives
this is my opinion only !!!!!!!! but I think they want the school reports and info from your relatives or friends who have known you from very early !!!!!childhood !because if you got this far and not been diagnosed it is just not as obvious !!!!!!for instance I am female and a common mistake is to say borderline personality disorder, I am 49 It took the NHS 45 years to diagnose me! another man in the UK 83 years ,if you are over 25 they will not be giving you any regular teaching if you were in the UK .

Oh, how I know that feeling well!

I only received my official diagnosis, last month and it still causes a surreal feeling and even to the point of thinking: am I really an aspie? Did they get it right?

Been seeing therapist on and off for years and not one suggested being on the spectrum.

What I forced myself to not do, is go through perfect scenarios, because they always end up the opposite.

On the 27th of February I finally got the letter. I am now officially on the waiting list and in the next 6-8 months I should have my diagnoses.

I just have one question, I keep obsessing over it. Everyday I count down the days and it's making me so anxious that I cant leave my house alot. Does any body have any advice to help please.

See my post assessment 9 days to wait (something like that)
Im in exactly the same boat. Cant function properly at work, brain is overloaded, overworked. Im tired, exhausted, vacant.
Urgh....can't wait!
I sympathise your wait is longer :( tho maybe youll find a balance sooner or later??
Mines become priority so going private. Plus point in week ill be there, minus point, ive had no time to process this....

Thank you everyone for such kind and really logical advice. I think it's just because I've been fighting all my life to be normal, I kind of just want something I can show my family and kind of be like "I was a naught kid on purpose, I was just misunderstood" I'm the way I am and I'd just like someone to be finally able to understand me a little and accept it and not moan at me when I'm being myself. I think I've always known I was different, I used to as a child pretend I was an alien or from any other time and imagine I got rescued one day and it would all make sense. I always hoped I'd grow out of being who I was, even at the age if 21 i still dont like clubbing or drinking. I still ask my mother to come to appointments with me or make my phone calls if possible. So much of the outside world makes no sense to me

My story is a little different. I never knew about Asperger's Syndrome until I was 60 years old. I researched it for 2 years. By then I was convinced that I was a Aspie, but I wanted to know for sure. I got my GP to refer me to a clinical psychologist with experience in autism. After 3 appointments, I was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome (DSM IV 299.80). I was 62 years old at the time. I felt great about the diagnosis because it answered a lot of questions that I had about myself.

I am surprised to read about all the difficulties that some of you have getting a diagnosis. It took about a month and cost a few hundred dollars to get my diagnosis. If I would have had all these difficulties, I think I would have given up. I did not really need a diagnosis, I just wanted to know for sure. The only reason that I can think of for getting a diagnosis so quickly is that I live in a low populated area of the USA. It seems that there are advantages in living in backwoods Idaho.

My story is a little different. I never knew about Asperger's Syndrome until I was 60 years old. I researched it for 2 years. By then I was convinced that I was a Aspie, but I wanted to know for sure. I got my GP to refer me to a clinical psychologist with experience in autism. After 3 appointments, I was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome (DSM IV 299.80). I was 62 years old at the time. I felt great about the diagnosis because it answered a lot of questions that I had about myself.

I am surprised to read about all the difficulties that some of you have getting a diagnosis. It took about a month and cost a few hundred dollars to get my diagnosis. If I would have had all these difficulties, I think I would have given up. I did not really need a diagnosis, I just wanted to know for sure. The only reason that I can think of for getting a diagnosis so quickly is that I live in a low populated area of the USA. It seems that there are advantages in living in backwoods Idaho.
I think it may be because alot of the healthcare system in America is private so as you said you paid a few hundred dollars. With the NHS I'm getting the diagnoses for free and so the waiting times are longer. I could pay over a thousand and have it in a month but I cant afford that. I'm personally seeking the diagnoses because everything is just getting too much and I really dont know how to deal with it all anymore

I think it may be because alot of the healthcare system in America is private so as you said you paid a few hundred dollars. With the NHS I'm getting the diagnoses for free and so the waiting times are longer. I could pay over a thousand and have it in a month but I cant afford that. I'm personally seeking the diagnoses because everything is just getting too much and I really dont know how to deal with it all anymore

I hope that getting your diagnosis is a positive experience, like it was for me. I have always known that I was different from others, I just did not know how or why. The worst years were from my late teens thru my mid twenties. By the time that I was in my late twenties, I was gaining confidence and things were better. Good luck!

New Threads

Top Bottom