• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is This Possible?

garnetflower13

V.I.P Member
In checking our cell phone bill, I found 44 text messages (content doesn't show) from and to our phone, but we don't recognize the number. The messages were being sent at times that we weren't using the phone, so it proves it wasn't one of us. Can someone possibly remotely use our cell phone?

That is concerning and a bit creepy, I don't know a lot about cell phones and I'm not sure if it's possible to manipulate them remotely, but I do know that Smartphones can be hacked... I would check with your network provider and see if they have any ideas as to what it may be. That is worrying. I hope you get it figured out soon.

I have sort of the same thing but with calls... My number is being used as a "ghost number" according to ATT. Some telemarketer is using what shows up as my number to make automotive warranty activation calls but leaving and 800 number to call back on. It starts out, "Hey this is Lisa from the warranty division and our records show your automotive warranty has expired... blah blah blah please call" and than gives 800 number.

I have received 2 angry calls from people who have gotten calls from what appeared to be my number. After explaining... both people became very nice and I told them they could call ATT and they would find that I did turn my own number in... ATT says the numbers are over seas and they have no recourse under United States law...

I asked if I should change my number and they said it probably won't happen again? They didn't seem worried about it at all??? I just kind of worry that my number is being misused and its not me doing it, but the lady at ATT said they have my true call log and the ghosting doesn't show up, so that would clear me of any wrong doing should anything ever come up.

I'm not sure what to do either. I have had the same number for a really long time and really dont want to change it unless I need to. I have never heard of the texting thing but they can do about anything these days it seems...

I just wish people would put all that wisdom to work on accomplishing something good instead of trying to scam people out of money. Its sad and its wrong.

I have sort of the same thing but with calls... My number is being used as a "ghost number" according to ATT. Some telemarketer is using what shows up as my number to make automotive warranty activation calls but leaving and 800 number to call back on. It starts out, "Hey this is Lisa from the warranty division and our records show your automotive warranty has expired... blah blah blah please call" and than gives 800 number.

I have received 2 angry calls from people who have gotten calls from what appeared to be my number. After explaining... both people became very nice and I told them they could call ATT and they would find that I did turn my own number in... ATT says the numbers are over seas and they have no recourse under United States law...

I asked if I should change my number and they said it probably won't happen again? They didn't seem worried about it at all??? I just kind of worry that my number is being misused and its not me doing it, but the lady at ATT said they have my true call log and the ghosting doesn't show up, so that would clear me of any wrong doing should anything ever come up.

I'm not sure what to do either. I have had the same number for a really long time and really dont want to change it unless I need to. I have never heard of the texting thing but they can do about anything these days it seems...

I just wish people would put all that wisdom to work on accomplishing something good instead of trying to scam people out of money. Its sad and its wrong.
It's probably from Nigeria in the uk they are a curse! make sure you Unless you already do!give a title to all of your numbers !if it's Nigeria I type in grabber or bloodsucker

It's probably from Nigeria in the uk they are a curse! make sure you Unless you already do!give a title to all of your numbers !if it's Nigeria I type in grabber or bloodsucker

Thanks and good idea. I also block any number that calls more than 3 times in a few days without leaving a number.

We also have a thing going where the caller asks, "Is this (insert your name)?" We are advised to hang up and do not say yes because they record the yes to fraudulent documents that have your information attached to it. Its just crazy.

I am letting all calls that are not in my contacts go to voicemail... I let all these tele texts go unanswered or just text back "stop please." I very seldom make a phone call... I don't like talking on it, or in person anyway... I might not even have a cell phone if it were not for my work needing to get hold of me often.

Thanks and good idea. I also block any number that calls more than 3 times in a few days without leaving a number.

We also have a thing going where the caller asks, "Is this (insert your name)?" We are advised to hang up and do not say yes because they record the yes to fraudulent documents that have your information attached to it. Its just crazy.

I am letting all calls that are not in my contacts go to voicemail... I let all these tele texts go unanswered or just text back "stop please." I very seldom make a phone call... I don't like talking on it, or in person anyway... I might not even have a cell phone if it were not for my work needing to get hold of me often.
I'm the same I have phone with three voice call numbers go months not using it

Well, my husband called his service provider and there are idiots working there who didn't even know what to do.:mad: They thought he was trying to retrieve some of his own text messages. :rolleyes:

In checking our cell phone bill, I found 44 text messages (content doesn't show) from and to our phone, but we don't recognize the number. The messages were being sent at times that we weren't using the phone, so it proves it wasn't one of us. Can someone possibly remotely use our cell phone?

They can do really awful things to your cell phones now.

I read that some thieves sit in places like airports and scan information out of your phone when you walk near them. Pouches are sold that block such scanning of your phone. The disadvantage of them is that they block incoming calls too, while your phone is in your pouch. I think the way to get your phone calls is to ask for them at a certain time when you can be in a safer place.

There is some kind of scam where they use your number to run up a big bill. It is good to have a cooperative phone company to protect you from this problem.

That is so frustrating that the provider didn't know what to do.
I'm trying to think of other ways you could find out if your phone has been hacked, though as I said, I am not a wizard with cell phones.

Does anyone else watch NCIS? This sounds like a case for McGee and Abby :p

Some videos on youtube came up on my newsfeed and it was regarding how to recognise a hacker and so, sadly, hackers can abuse a phone from far away. Have you picked up the phone and the person asks a question, that requires a yes or no? If so, NEVER answer in the positive, which in fact, is the negative this time, because "yes" is used as a "silent" contract and "gives" hackers the permission to abuse that phone. They can even find all your details ( sadly, seems likely in this case) and use your name to purchase things.

I get the sense this is actually mainly in America, because I have never encountered this here, where I live in France. No one has ever hacked anything of mine online (so far).

You must get a new number.

This problem is with my husband's phone, because I refuse to have one. I use my good old fashioned land line and it has features where I can block unwanted callers. There used to be scammers that would call and I learned to answer the phone and not speak. They would think they had a bad connection and quit trying to call!:smilingimp:

This problem is with my husband's phone, because I refuse to have one. I use my good old fashioned land line and it has features where I can block unwanted callers. There used to be scammers that would call and I learned to answer the phone and not speak. They would think they had a bad connection and quit trying to call!:smilingimp:

If it's an Internet-based system you can add "Nomorobo" free of charge. So most robocalls ring only once and automatically go "somewhere else". A very helpful tool I've been using the last year or so. Of course above all, I simply do not answer any calls from someone I cannot immediately identify. If scammers cannot connect with you, they learn to move on. After all, it then becomes a matter of us wasting their time. :cool:

I never look at a Caller ID in terms of who they might be, but rather who they aren't by logical deduction.

Last edited:
That happened to me and it turned out it was an app I had installed on the phone. It was some kind of malware or something that was given access to the phone and messaging functions. It stopped once I deleted all my unneeded apps. I never did find out which app it was.

Be careful which apps you install and which apps you give permission to. If an app that purports to do something unrelated to calling or messaging is asking for permission to access phone and messaging functions, it's probably best not to install it.

The pitfalls of freeware applications....:eek:

I miss the days of buying over-the-counter, legitimate software...and those heady trips to Egghead Software.

What are the pitfalls of which you speak, Judge?

Downloading free apps for smartphones that haven't been properly vetted. Ones that have malware designed to compromise your phone and possibly identity as well.

In the past when one bought software from a reputable manufacturer and reputable retailer, odds of them having malware were minimal if at all.

Oh, I see! In my brief time with a Smartphone, not knowing my way around the controls, I inadvertently downloaded a virus called Geek buddy. Not only did it infect my phone, it infected my computer. I finally got rid of it and restored the phone to factory settings. Now I never use it.

New Threads

Top Bottom