• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is this klazomania?

Tatilove

klazomania, a random word I learned today while researching a new behaviour my son has.

Hi everyone,

My four year old, semi verbal son, has got yet another new habit. Right now what he does, is that he SHOUTS, and I mean really SHOUT something randomly. We could be watching tv or playing a game, he suddenly gets excited and shouts a word (unintelligible) really loud. He usually has a smile when he does it, and his body language is usually that of an excited (happy) kid. I usually let him do anything that I think helps stimulate or calm him down, but this one is disruptive. He does it close to her little sister when she is sleeping and it scares her. He goes to daycare now so it’s not such an issue now, but he is starting school this fall. I wouldn’t want him to do that in the classroom.

So is this considered klazomania? How do I make him understand that at certain moments he cannot do it, as it disrupts others arounds him. How do I help him control that urge? Would it be damaging to him to even control that urge?

Thank you everyone

"Klazomania (from the Greek κλάζω ("klazo")—to scream) refers to compulsive shouting; it has features resembling the complex tics such as echolalia, palilalia and coprolalia seen in tic disorders..."

"Klazomania shares some features with vocal tics seen in tic disorders including Tourette syndrome (TS)"

"It is defined as compulsive shouting, which can be in the form of swearing, grunting or barking. The subject may appear flushed, and klazomania can occur with increasing frequency if the person is agitated."

"Although the cause of klazomania is unknown, it is considered to be associated with encephalitis lethargica..."

"The observation of klazomania in encephalitis patients helped establish the neurological underpinning of tics in other conditions, including Tourette syndrome."

What do they think about it at daycare? Is he copying someone there maybe? Is he just expressing himself? Does he do it at daycare, even? It could be just a phase in his development?

It sounds from your description that he may be doing it because it feels good and/or regulating to him. Perhaps a form of echolalia or something similar. I'd be reluctant to discourage it too strongly beyond finding a way to communicate to him why it can be disruptive or upsetting to others. I'm neither a parent nor expert of any kind so take my words with a pinch of salt. My interest in parenting and child development comes from a place of wanting to understand my own upbringing and early development, and that of others in my family. But I'd just say tread carefully. Autistic kids often learn to feel shame and oppress themselves from a young age because of the reactions of people around them and there will be people out there, even "professionals" who might encourage you to try to suppress his behaviour in ways that could be more damaging than helpful. That said, it sounds like you're really putting thought into your parenting and doing what you can to carefully consider what's best for your children, which is lovely to see and will no doubt serve you and your family well. I hope someone who knows what they're talking about will offer you some better advice than I can, and I wish you luck.

New Threads

Top Bottom