• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

is this an "aspie" thing?

My son who sings and plays has gross motor skill difficulties, but less of fine motor skill issues, whereas I have no limitations there. He is great at moving his fingers fast for video games, and is getting better each day at piano playing in terms of speed and accuracy there too. But, he lacks some coordination and smoothness for gross motor movements, and that is why he did likely not advance at singing contests, and is not into sports. It likely wasn't because of how he sang, but they wanted that stage presence and body feeling shown. They did not know about his Autism, and we never advertised it. His past vocal instructor wanted him to smile a lot when singing, and to move in a flowing way with his hands and body, depending on the song. That is not natural for him, and it is more difficult. Then he overthinks things, and it came across as more awkward.
I never understand people who sing standing still without being trained (inner alignment need to be trained. When I move my body I sing better. I move my hands sometimes. We see people speaking in cellphones moving their hands.
This is what your son has trouble with? Is this what gross motor skills issues can refer to?
I myself hate just using fine motor skills. Both fine and gross are needed in my case. I am not refering to the movement used when singing Itsy bitsy spider. I am only refering to becoming more physical. More like what actors do. Not just fun movements you do for the kids (even if they are helpful sometimes). I Just need to get all my energy out there. Gross motor skills are extremely important for this.
I guess people are different.

Last edited:
I never understand people who sing standing still without being trained. When I move my body I sing better. I move my hands sometimes. We see people speaking in cellphones moving their hands.
This is what your son has trouble with? Is this what gross motor skills issues can refer to?
I myself hate just using fine motor skills. Both fine and gross are needed in my case. I am not refering to the movement used when singing Itsy bitsy spider. I am only refering to becoming more physical. More like what actors do. Not just fun movements you do for the kids (even if they are helpful sometimes). I Just need to get all my energy out there. Gross motor skills are extremely important for this.
I guess people are different.

Yes, people are different, not only for Autistics in terms of which movements, expressions and postures come easier, as some are better at certain things than other things because of that fine and/or gross motor and expression abilities or difficulties.

But, remember, typical guys are often different than women too, in terms of movements. NT women often move with their hands and bodies easier and smoother, and many guys are either less into that, or appear less natural or more rigid for that.

It's because more NT guys tend to be logical and very structured than NT women, or less able to move very smoothly naturally with their wrists and such. And some may not see it as cooler to act more feminine in that way, even if told to do such, or as it is not them. Women may often more have that emotional component that helps with flowing movement and more feeling or flair in communication. Its why more are into dance than guys.

But, guys that have that more emotional side or that can mimic those movements well and seeming believable to the audience, they clearly can naturally move smoothly too just as well as women too. For guys into harder rock songs, heavy metal, then they can be more free to be themselves, and have more assertive or jerky movements, or less movements.

I do not think singers should always be judged by movements, or lack of. Does the audience want the real truth who that singer is, or some person on stage that fits their advertised image of what a successful or great singer should be? Or is it that they want everything? Well, not many professional singers have everything, other than the Celine Dion types. Some have great voices. Others great looks and average voices. Others have below average voices, but pretty good stage presence.

The rule I keep in mind is: "You will never be able to please everyone. Be yourself as much as possible, and if they do not like it. It's ok. You did it at least your way" That attitude might not bring about the most financial success, like in David Cassidy's case where he refused to bend to the experts' and teenie bopper girls' audience's likely desire for him to sing bubble gum softer music, to fit the show's image that he was a singer actor on, and so instead he went the harder rock route, and tried to sing and move in those ways he loved and felt most comfort.

As well, I have seen singers succeed being mostly completely still, if they sang ballads or other, whether Sinatra, Anne Murray, Julio Iglesias, Johnny Cash, etc. They succeeded because of their voices OR image. Again, rarely does a singer have everything. As long as what they do appeals to a big audience, they will be fine. Or do it for love, if not the fame and money. That's our focus.

Last edited:
Yes, people are different, not only for Autistics in terms of which movements, expressions and postures come easier, as some are better at certain things than other things because of that fine and/or gross motor and expression abilities or difficulties.

But, remember, typical guys are often different than women too, in terms of movements. NT women often move with their hands and bodies easier and smoother, and many guys are either less into that, or appear less natural or more rigid for that.

It's because more NT guys tend to be logical and very structured than NT women, or less able to move very smoothly naturally with their wrists and such. And some may not see it as cooler to act more feminine in that way, even if told to do such, or as it is not them. Women may often more have that emotional component that helps with flowing movement and more feeling or flair in communication. Its why more are into dance than guys.

But, guys that have that more emotional side or that can mimic those movements well and seeming believable to the audience, they clearly can naturally move smoothly too just as well as women too. For guys into harder rock songs, heavy metal, then they can be more free to be themselves, and have more assertive or jerky movements, or less movements.

I do not think singers should always be judged by movements, or lack of. Does the audience want the real truth who that singer is, or some person on stage that fits their advertised image of what a successful or great singer should be? Or is it that they want everything? Well, not many professional singers have everything, other than the Celine Dion types. Some have great voices. Others great looks and average voices. Others have below average voices, but pretty good stage presence.

The rule I keep in mind is: "You will never be able to please everyone. Be yourself as much as possible, and if they do not like it. It's ok. You did it at least your way" That attitude might not bring about the most financial success, like in David Cassidy's case where he refused to bend to the experts' and teenie bopper girls' audience's likely desire for him to sing bubble gum softer music, to fit the show's image that he was a singer actor on, and so instead he went the harder rock route, and tried to sing and move in those ways he loved and felt most comfort.

As well, I have seen singers succeed being mostly completely still, if they sang ballads or other, whether Sinatra, Anne Murray, Johnny Cash, etc. They succeeded because of their voices and image. Again, rarely does a singer have everything. As long as what they do appeals to a big audience, they will be fine. Or do it for love, if not the fame and money. That's our focus.
Yeah that's the issue. Teachers often ask student to do things that never work for them or the students have wrong expectations. I have experienced both. It sucked. I hated it.
Teachers need to meet the idiosyncratic people with ASD. No wonder many of us cannot stand the word "teacher".

@harrietjansson I forgot to mention in the past we were both into digital sheet music, and still use that for keyboard playing today, so as we do not have to flip sheet music pages, and that helps with ear training and for making things easier too, as we could slow it down, speed it up, transpose the key, play over top of the pitches we heard, etc. Of course vocal and piano instructors often do not want to recommend such, or they would lose more business.

But still, music instructors, when you find the right one like you have, they can be of great assistance, and find ways creative to help with the things you need help on the most, and make things fun if it is a match. I just felt I knew my child the best, and as I had motivation to do everything myself, once I saw that I could do more than that other instructor, and to make things more effective and efficient, in the steps and style he needed, without losing confidence but gaining confidence with our practice attempts.

However, if things ever get difficult for him and I, we will find the right fit for an instructor.

New Threads

Top Bottom