• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is the perception a part of or caused by Autism?

CaveDweller

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
How does the heightened perception thing work and is it inbuilt or because of the condition. I'm newly diagnosed and finding my way still.

Last edited:
By "perception", are you referring to sensory sensitivities, or the ability to make extensive associations, or emotional perceptions?

Generally speaking, I think the current understanding suggests that there is heightened perception wherever there is an extensive amount of neuronal connectivity between the sensory receptors and the various regions of the brain which process the information acquired by those receptors.

If you have a particular instance in mind, I might be able to supply a less generalized response, but I hope this is on the right track.

By "perception", are you referring to sensory sensitivities, or the ability to make extensive associations, or emotional perceptions?.

Yes, I mean the ability to make associations and emotional perceptions, which is a much better way of putting it than I did. It's just something I had always been aware of before I was diagnosed but didn't really understand how it works. I had always thought that it was maybe because I was always on the outside of conversations which gave me a greater vantage point to make judgements. The research as you explained it seems to suggest it's in the wiring. Thanks for your help. As I said, I'm still trying to make sense of how I tick now I know I have the condition.

Yes, I mean the ability to make associations and emotional perceptions, which is a much better way of putting it than I did. It's just something I had always been aware of before I was diagnosed but didn't really understand how it works. I had always thought that it was maybe because I was always on the outside of conversations which gave me a greater vantage point to make judgements. The research as you explained it seems to suggest it's in the wiring. Thanks for your help. As I said, I'm still trying to make sense of how I tick now I know I have the condition.
That is a good point, about observing from the outside. That is likely how some of those extra connections between neurons are formed or reinforced, through extensive observation of not part, but all, of what is happening in a given moment. Like adding lanes to a highway that gets a lot of traffic.

I just read another article about neuroconnectivity, but it will take a bit to relocate it for you...

New Threads

Top Bottom