• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is it just me.

I only got Facebook for university, then deleted it after I graduated because I was so tired of it. There was often a lot of drama and it just wasn’t worth it. I had an Instagram for cosplay but I decided to close it as it felt stressful. I don’t have Twitter. Don’t know what TikTok is. Rarely use discord. And up until late last year, I started posting on this forum again. I don’t really do social media.

To me, facebook's quality is largely dependent on who you pick as fb friends.

aka: it's what you make it.

I think it's a bit like a face palm but with a book.

Like this, but electronic?
HolyGrail.gif

FB info collection and marketing is aggressive and continual changes are annoying but I have found there are a few nice supportive autism groups there too. I am not able to use pages with moving stuff on them , videos, youtubes, etc, so it works well for me. FB pretty much IS my social life since anything done in "real time" is too fast for my sensory processing.

I communicate best with written words, reading is my main source of input, since anything I see or hear in "real time" is very poorly processed. I also have aphantasia so I can't visualize a thing, have no visual memory at all. I can recognize things if I see them and have experience of those things, but I can't see a thing in my mind.

FB works for me in spite of the drawbacks. Forums like this that use printed/typed words are the only ones that work for me.

When I used Facebook, it was solely to keep up with everything going on with family, friends and other people I'm familiar with. I never did any of the attention grabbing stuff mentioned in the first post and neither did a majority of the people I know. If they did, it wasn't malicious, toxic or anything of the sort. All of the ads and misinformation passed around on there can be filtered with some browser add-ons and tinkering with Facebook's settings, so I hardly considered that a problem. I really didn't pay attention to it anyways, but if I didn't want any garbage on my feed or profile, it wasn't on there and I made sure of it.

I deleted my Facebook account, but I might create a new account in the future mainly for the reasons I mentioned above. Now, Twitter and other big social media sites where people are allowed to be anonymous and spew vitriol, knowing the two go hand in hand? No thanks, I'm not touching those with a 100 foot pole.

Your friendly neighborhood NT here....

I converted my personal account to business for FB.

Ok on Facebook whatever happy, happy, joy, joy posts you see people make are all pretty much false. Their lives are much more miserable than they post.

What FB does is bring out that nasty side of people that you don't see face to face except for the ones who have way more serious mental issues....

But also keep in mind being a donkey-hole online attracts a lot more attention than being that empathetic kind person online. If you say something nice you get a lot of likes which are one icon.

If you say something nasty a whole poop-show of comments follows taking up more of the page drawing your curiosity. No one wonders who liked this post, but people LOOOOOVE reading other people's comments and opinions.

So block those who you don't want to read about. Keep friends that are funny and kind.
Ignore the rest.

If someone doesn't like you for who you are then who gives a flying monkey's poop. They aren't your friend.... well unless you are a raging, smelly, donkey-hole.

FB isn't healthy for the mind for the most part. I have blocked quite a few toxic or conspiracy driven friends who can't stop posting their non-sense.

You want to be entertained. Go to youtube and pull up funny animals. That will put a smile on your face.

What FB does is bring out that nasty side of people that you don't see face to face except for the ones who have way more serious mental issues....

I just watched a mini documentary that claims Facebook regularly does "research" on members including such things as prioritizing negative or positive posts in your feeds to see how you will respond.

The documentary also said this research will be sold to interested parties.

So, whatever one thinks, your paticipation is manipulated in one way or another.

FB does whatever it takes to drive your emotions to click more links to make you see more ads. It is purely for profit. If happy funny, happy links made more money they would do that.

On my FB page for months I was getting spammed everyday by links to the exact opposite of how I think a society should be run. I must have blocked 50 ads until finally one day they stopped completely.

Social media is really destructive. Just like any new technology it takes time to figure out what works and what doesn't.

I have taught my son not to go on FB or any social media. He doesn't even use his phone unless he absolutely needs to call me.

FB does whatever it takes to drive your emotions to click more links to make you see more ads. It is purely for profit. If happy funny, happy links made more money they would do that.

It reminds me of something a friend told me: If you're not paying for it, then you're not the customer.

Facebook isn't the product, and you're not the customer.

You are the product and advertisers are the customer.

On Facebook I look through sites of bands I'm interested in, or prog rock groups, but that's all I use it for. I don't have any other social media accounts.

Yea, just realize and remove yourself from the toxicity of what online places do.

It's just like debating/arguing with people. Someone wants to have an intelligent conversation with me I am totally happy to do that.

Debates go ... I say, you ask, I answer..... You say, I ask, you answer......
That's is a good discussion.

Once it gets to.... I say, you don't believe, I ask why don't you believe me? Because I don't....
Well then I just say Ok and have a nice day. Can't fix that.

I hate it for a lot of reasons, but my biggest one is that it is highly addictive. There have been studies and even former Facebook employees have admitted that getting a like or share on your post or photo triggers a dopamine response. The same kind of dopamine response as eating sugar or doing drugs. Facebook isn't the only one guilty of this, but they did help popularize it more than any other social media platform.

Time yourself to get perspective. I would answer posts of anger with thoughtfulness. The result was people didn't listen, called me an idiot, and it didn't change anything. I timed my posts and a reply took 5-20m for no reason. So I said screw this.

Here it is different. I feel I am helping Aspies and you all listen and ask questions back. Then I can ask questions about my son on the spectrum and the community replies with answers I can use and understand him with. So it is a win win for everyone. So I don't mind taking 20m for a thoughtful reply.

I have tried to participate in a few different online forums with varying degrees of failure (and no degrees of success).

On Facebook, any political opinions immediately lead to heated arguments, so I limit my FB interaction to posting family news to my friends and checking the FB pages of organizations that I follow (a church page, a community page, etc.).

I've tried posting to Reddit and gotten shouted down immediately. It's not welcoming at all unless you're already an expert in whatever you want to talk about, and you're already flagged as an experienced user on the site.

This forum is different. Here, I've been welcomed and encouraged to participate and I feel like my contributions are appreciated. AutismForums is just my speed.

Is it just me, or, is facebook, and all of those social media platforms, nothing but ignorant, toxic, narcissistic, control freak BS, that is simply not worth it on any level?

All i see is people and 100000 selfies, and saying how great their lives are, and saying ignorant rubbish, and getting "likes" for it, and also being rude, obnoxious, and talking down to anyone who does not agree with what they say. I for one, am done with anything resembling facebook, twitter, reddit, all of those trashy sites. I noticed also, you have to show your whole face, licence, personal information to facebook, before they "allow" you into their site. they are privacy thieving pieces of trash. And they claim they support security? HAHAHAHA. good joke. I often wonder how Mark Suckerberg has managed to BS his way out of every court case. he needs to be jailed. Anyone else feel the way i do? I mean, literally HATE social media?

I miss the good ol myspace, and MSN messenger. Where you could talk to people, and not put up with this rubbish we have today.

Absolutely hate social media. Only reason why I would go back to it would be to promote something...that's it.

New Threads

Top Bottom