• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is it common with austism to not remember things after a melt down.

Matthew3360

Hello. I have autism and if I have a melt down I can not remember what happened during the melt down or what happened to cause it. If I get stressed I can sometimes not remember things. I have looked it up and saw somethings on it but just want to ask if anyone else gets this.

Thanks Matthew3360

High stress and anxiety can affect short term memory, which could make it problematic to recollect events.

Ed

I wish I could not remember everything, but sadly, my brain lets me down hugely!

Any high stress situation can result in memory issues whether it is forgetting, or the order of things that did happen. I don't know specifically about autism, but it sounds right to me, based on what I know about stress effects.

Good question, Matthew.

-Sure.

Consider the threshold between stress and shock and all the possible symptoms that can arise. And that they can vary from one person to another. I'd think a meltdown or a shutdown would certainly qualify as such a threshold. Where one may or may not recall what occurred when in real time.

Frankly I've always had the experience of "lost time" in a shutdown. Might as well be comparable to experiencing an alien abduction. Where bits and pieces of the event always seem to be missing. Even when I ask myself, "OMG, how did I get from there to here?".

Perhaps that might be part of a neurological process where the mind is trying to heal itself. I'm not really sure....

Last edited:
Yes. There are meltdowns or stressful things that happened to me as a child that my mum can remember, but I can't.

I normally have a very good memory (episodic and factual) but it has happened to me that I "blanked out" certain events that led to a meltdown. More so in later years when I have to take benzos to not stop functioning for a day or three (I remember the meltdown, but not much of what happens afterwards)
Unfortunately, meltdowns can come because of accumulated stress, and then it's only one drop that causes the spill. In those cases it's hard to define what caused the meltdown, and then I tend to forget the details of the meltdown itself.

Unfortunately, meltdowns can come because of accumulated stress, and then it's only one drop that causes the spill. In those cases it's hard to define what caused the meltdown, and then I tend to forget the details of the meltdown itself.
I get the one drop bit. When I was younger, with few if any coping skills, this would happen to me. Others did not get it and thought - well I don’t know what they thought, but it wasn’t good. I remember feeling cast out as it were.

I haven’t felt that way in a long time, but it has come back recently. So the one drop bit is fresh in my mind.

New Threads

Top Bottom