• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is Introversion On The Spectrum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bentHnau

Exploding Radical
If one examines introvert forums/blogs, one finds that they often complain of the same difficulties that are discussed among spectrumites and seek similar redresses. For example:

Introvert Survival in the Big City? | Kingdom of Introversion

Is it possible that introversion is a sub-clinical ASD? I actually have a copy of a thesis someone wrote on this topic, but it's over one hundred pages long and a pdf, so I haven't had the ocular endurance to read it.

If it is, I must be one of the few exceptions to the rule.

I guess I have my introvert periods, but I don't really feel they define me all the time. Compared to aspie friends of mine I can be quite extroverted. Provided I can direct where the situation is going (which I guess is a control thing... a safety net if you will)

I think it is something that is completely separate from autism spectrum disorders. From what I know about it, introversion/extroversion just has to do with where people get their energy from. Introverts tend to get their energy from within and get drained from social interaction and other outside stimulation, and with extroverts it is the other way around. I have heard that possibly up to 25% of the general population are introverts but as many as 60% of gifted people are introverts.

If one examines introvert forums/blogs, one finds that they often complain of the same difficulties that are discussed among spectrumites and seek similar redresses. For example:

Introvert Survival in the Big City? | Kingdom of Introversion

Is it possible that introversion is a sub-clinical ASD? I actually have a copy of a thesis someone wrote on this topic, but it's over one hundred pages long and a pdf, so I haven't had the ocular endurance to read it.
I don't consider myself being an introvert, I think I'm an extrovert or something in between. Sometimes I need to be alone to "reboot" and disorganized crowds overwhelm me, because of all the chaotic movement and noise, but I like being around people and talk. I can talk for hours and hours, and I actually prefer talking with somebody being next to me, not on the phone or online. It doesn't mean I don't want to do it at all, I just want to see another person next to me. I also enjoy solving problems and pressure people into doing the "right" thing :D in most cases it was for everybody's benefit :D so I don't know... problems that people on the spectrum experience don't always have something to do with AS

There are probably thousands of people who are introverts, but have never even heard of aspergers. I didn't know what it was until age 44 and I found out accidentally. Many aspies probably go through life wondering why they are so shy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom