• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is anyone here obsessed with climbing?

Sabrina

Gentle & brave earthling
Does anyone here has climbing as a special interest?

Would you like to talk about it?

My boyfriend fits the aspie profile and he was describing a climbing buddy (not exactly a friend) that also fits the aspie profile, so I got curious to know if it’s a pattern.

CLIMBING IS LIFE!!!!

I don’t think it has anything to do with AS; it has everything to be with being amazing. Have you ever tried it. All it takes is once to get hooked.

I was, when that was what was available (out west). I tie it together with other sports that I tended towards naturally that were done alone or semi independently, like running, hiking, surfing, swimming, bike riding. I think that was tied to my Aspie side more.

But I am also very much part NT (as I believe all Aspies are to one degree or another) and competitive and did every team/group sport imaginable. But in those cases I was most definately wearing masks to fit in.

IMG_5273.PNG.604ac6d1ad339f53cd00fb771635f3dd.PNG

Last edited:
I’m really interested in climbing. The current book I’m reading is a biography about Don Whillans who is an absolute legend and was the bad boy of climbing and mountaineering. The next book I have is by Sir Chris Bonington which I’ll start shortly.

I don’t know if it’s an Aspie thing but it could certainly appeal to many of us. These days I’m a bit old to climb and I’m responsible for two children so I couldn’t afford or risk any accidents or worse. I have to make do with hiking, UK mountains and finding the most remote places I can. Nothing beats the silence, which is only broken by wind and the occasional bird or a stream. The views too, I’m never more at peace than when I’m out and there’s no one in sight for miles. Add to that the skill and thrill of getting on a rope and pushing yourself with the technical challenges involved in a climb and I can really see the appeal for Aspies. I have been thinking about an indoor climbing centre but that’s more sport climbing which is different, coincidentally my younger daughter has a session booked at one on Thursday evening.

This is well worth watching for anyone interested in old school climbing with almost no equipment, a cloth cap and cigarette breaks lol

I don't like cliff climbing, too scary, but I love climbing high mountains and seeing the great view. Climbing to the top of Mount Whitney, California is on my bucket list. It's the highest mountain in the lower 48.

Any climbing I do is limited to roof tops or
part way up an old tv antenna to hang up
the hummingbird feeder.

Going up is much easier than getting back
down.

I climb from a walking position over to the couch. Now you might think that doesn’t sound like too much of a feat but with a bag of chips, a tall-boy beer, and the remote control all in my arms the level of complexity is great. I am dedicated to perfecting this move in that I practice daily. You talk about a muscle burn. It’s intense. Honestly, I think I am too practical to climb for personal satisfaction only. I’d need a tangible reward like fried chicken or a bean quesida. Okay, okay... I understand the climbing can be addictive. The rush of the next hand hold, the delight in a good toe placement. The satisfaction of accomplishment, the peace one finds at the top. Hats off to the climbers. Chase your obsessions.

I enjoy hiking and trail walking through our local mountains. I, currently, have a Patagonia literature obsession, and, cannot get my hands on enough of it. I'd like to travel there, at some future time...

Last edited:
I do have some instinct to climb up to the highest point, be it a steeple, hill, up stairs in a building to the top floor, for some reason I feel better when I can see a long way around me and I'm up, away from the street, the city, the crowds. As a teenager I belonged to a rock climbing after school club and we went to a local climbing wall. I really liked it. Nowadays, I don't do any climbing, just hiking in the mountains, foraging for mushrooms or herbs.

Last edited:
I can't do it.

I once tried to climb a big Wall, like the one that used to be on Gladiators, and it was one of THE scariest things I ever did.

I love hiking, It is in the same environnement, and I also love some lesser climbing activities, I did it during one holiday it was not exactly climbing but not Hiking neither something in between, like a path very secured and easy on the mountain. I love this environnement and even if its cool it is still a bit challenging physically.

On year I did actual climbing, well it was a very easy climbing sessions with teachers , on a natural wall , we were climbing and then descelating (? it is the work kek)

I hated it, it was realy stressfull for me , in addition my sport teacher did a joke and pretended one string was like cut or something. I never did climb again.

And sometimes I did it during sport lesson at school on artificial wall but I realy didnt like it, like when something looks so risky I just find it idiot to do that...
There is plenty of sport less dangerous why would you need to do that xD

I love hiking, but cliff facing... no. My equilibrium just gets all weird and I get sick feeling. I like it. I tried it, but its just to much risk. I do like climbing man made rock walls and stuff like that. I guess that huge cushion down below helps keep my thoughts from derailing... Overall I'm not real fond of heights unless I'm in a plane... Makes no sense, but most the time I make no sense anyway... : )

I do have some instinct to climb up to the highest point, be it a steeple, hill, up stairs in a building to the top floor, for some reason I feel better when I can see a long way around me and I'm up, away from the street, the city, the crowds. As a teenager I belonged to a rock climbing after school club and we went to a local climbing wall. I really liked it. Nowadays, I don't do any climbing, just hiking in the mountains, foraging for mushrooms or herbs.

Why did you stop? Ever consider doing it again?

. Have you ever tried it. All it takes is once to get hooked.

Yes, twice. The first time I freaked out a bit, because that route was too diffcult for a beginner. But the second time we went to an easier wall, and I loved it. I felt like I was a teenager again.

I was, when that was what was available (out west). I tie it together with other sports that I tended towards naturally that were done alone or semi independently, like running, hiking, surfing, swimming, bike riding. I think that was tied to my Aspie side more.

But I am also very much part NT (as I believe all Aspies are to one degree or another) and competitive and did every team/group sport imaginable. But in those cases I was most definately wearing masks to fit in.

IMG_5273.PNG.604ac6d1ad339f53cd00fb771635f3dd.PNG
Ok, this is an odd coincidence, that’s the mask my boyfriend is wearing in his FB profile o_O

A long time ago, I went Abseiling with a group of other disabled people in a social club I was in when I was a kid.

Some of these guys were Paraplegic, had no legs and they were doing Abseiling, was quite eye opening! I know I'll never say anything negative about these guys anyway.

New Threads

Top Bottom